• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Digests (The Battle of The 100 Pages)
2 2

146 posts in this topic

This one I purchased raw on ebay and submitted to CGC at Terry's ComicCon in January of this year. This to me looks like a 9.9.

I just love these digests books that have original art on front/back cover. Especially this one.

BestofDC25-1.jpg

BestofDC25-2.jpg

What happens to books with glued spines and not staples, over a lot of time? I would assume the glue would deteriorate a whole lot quicker than a metal staple would.

I wouldn't know. If the digests books don't have any staples then I would assume they will be safe being stored in a safe.

This is interesting. At the image below shows a digest that has 2 different page qualities. Almost half of the pages in the digest has a darker tone than the rest. Some of the digests I've been collecting has this same defect. Is it due to poor storage OR is it a different pulp they were using while these books being printed?

I asked a grader is how to determine the page quality of the book. He said the top page and the bottom page has to have the same color tone.

IMAG0491.jpg

I thought twice about getting this book graded because the pages were the same quality as the image above that has a darker tone. But it got graded as "Cream to Off-White". I tripled checked this book of the page quality and the top and bottom pages has the same color tone. So I don't know.

These digests books are plagued by production flaws.

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest15-1.jpg

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest15-2.jpg

Edited by vane

This is interesting. At the image below shows a digest that has 2 different page qualities. Almost half of the pages in the digest has a darker tone than the rest. Some of the digests I've been collecting has this same defect. Is it due to poor storage OR is it a different pulp they were using while these books being printed?

I asked a grader is how to determine the page quality of the book. He said the top page and the bottom page has to have the same color tone.

Ar the entire pages like that? Just from the edge view, that looks exactly like what happens from someone reading it. Take a look at a paperback book that has been read halfway and you'll see that's what happens.

Ar the entire pages like that? Just from the edge view, that looks exactly like what happens from someone reading it. Take a look at a paperback book that has been read halfway and you'll see that's what happens.

Yes. What you see on the edge view is the same color tone of the entire pages.

"vane"

Beautiful digests. I have some beautiful raw copies as well as some reading copies that I bought at comic shops the day the came out. You have have some nice copies there. Congrats on the grades!

SLR

Edited by Stevenrams

"vane"

Beautiful digests. I have some beautiful raw copies as well as some reading copies that I bought at comic shops the day the came out. You have have some nice copies there. Congrats on the grades!

SLR

Thank you for your kind words.

I purchased this book about 8 years ago from BobCats ebay seller (Whom I considered the best ebay seller of raw books of all-time). I recently got it graded early this year. The story contains the first origin story of the Penguin.

BestofDC10-1.jpg

BestofDC10-2.jpg

I was able to get a really good price on ebay for this book.

These digests are so undervalued and so overlooked. If you go on ebay right now they're mostly VF's or below. Like I was saying... these books were thought of re-printable material in early 80's. Not collectibles.

BestofDC36-1.jpg

BestofDC36-2.jpg

Edited by vane

I acquired this book from BobCat (ebay seller) some years ago. I recently got it graded some time late last year. I particularly like this book because if it's patriotism.

You'll notice Earth-2 Batman is the artitech.

BestofDC21-1.jpg

BestofDC21-2.jpg

Edited by vane

This book supposed to be in a treasury format but it was cancelled due to the DC Implosion of 1977 & 78.

This might be one of the toughest digests to find in high grade.

BestofDC4-1.jpg

BestofDC4-2.jpg