• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Digests (The Battle of The 100 Pages)
2 2

146 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2020 at 10:33 AM, MAR1979 said:

Responding to a very old post :)

I do agree that would be very nice! However, my guess is the only reason digests are graded is they fit into the standard footprint.  Likely there is not enough demand to justify the overall custom slab size equipment and material expense from CGC 's perspective.  I also feel no chance enough there would be enough demand for Digest size graded boxes or mylite sleeves to be made.

Extending my thanks and appreciation to Vane for all his time, efforts and expense in gathering raw then slabbing his former digest collection.  Thanks to him many of these beautiful but near zero demand books are in 9.8 slabs.  I am the lucky current proud owner of a few of them, my favorites being the JSA issues, Perez Supergirl cover, and the 100 Power Pages Of Blistering Battle Action Haunted Tank issue.

Speaking of the Haunted Tank issue, when I was a kid a buddy of mine had the issue and for a short time back then 100 Power Pages Of Blistering Battle Action became our catch phrase, actually still kind of is... :)

P.S. I am seeking (offering top dollar) for 9.8 Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest 03 Super-Friends  - Vane sold it just a scant week or so before I first made contact with him.

lFt5jWC.jpg

vQukWeI.jpg

She turned her head in battle. Whoopsie.

12 minutes ago, MAR1979 said:

Here are two Digests that were not originally from Vane's collection.

Ed Hannigan came up many interesting original cover designs in the early 80's this Best of DC #36 is an excellent example.

BestofDC36.thumb.jpg.62317ab4ba1cb109e6eec5b6cfd60fb6.jpgBestofDC36b.thumb.jpg.a035afc01cbc2725197fe2c0f74a6d1b.jpg

Classic Kubert!

DC-Special18.thumb.jpg.6d5a4a654e5ff7258be2b917e58311cd.jpg

DC-Special18b.thumb.jpg.04eee858f315182110942c8a058a8baa.jpg

The Kryptonite one is great.  I always wanted the first appearance of every type and then found out that green Kryptonite was first mentioned in the Superman radio show before it showed up in comics.  

On 12/21/2023 at 11:26 AM, MAR1979 said:

@ThothAmon , Only kidding of course.

My copy was the result of Vane's diligent efforts.  I'm happy to be it's current caretaker but all the kudos belong to him.

@MAR1979Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad those books are at a good home  

The Dark Mansions digest was one of my favorite DC digests. I obtain that copy way back early 2000’s from another collector. Some board members might remember this collector - Bob Cat’s entertainment.

Also, there was one copy I could not find a 9.8 condition - Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest #68 Sugar and Spike Halloween special. That particular digest had a lot of printing defects, more so than the other digests. Maybe you are able to find a 9.8 copy  

Edited by vane

On 12/21/2023 at 4:12 PM, ThothAmon said:

Census data has it as most graded but it’s also the one highest in demand Sugar and Spike notwithstanding. 

Kind of proves no regular issue 1980s DC or Marvel is actually rare, just lower printed in relation to the bigger sellers.

On 12/21/2023 at 4:08 PM, MAR1979 said:

I wonder if Best of DC #20 is the single most rare regular issued DC of the 1980's?

The World’s Finest issue? Or do you mean the DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #20 (Dark Mansions) pictured in the thread?

I have always struggled to find high grade Best of DC #58 (Super Jrs).

On 12/25/2023 at 3:17 PM, Brock said:

The World’s Finest issue? Or do you mean the DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #20 (Dark Mansions) pictured in the thread?

I have always struggled to find high grade Best of DC #58 (Super Jrs).

I meesed up , yes Dark Mansions is correct. 

Super Jr very difficult. I got lucky...