• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2019 at 4:19 PM, Yorick said:

It looks like water/ink transfer.  When damp paper from another source is placed against the comic, and when the two documents are pulled apart, the ink on the comic lifted away.  It will affect inks differently (which may be why it is so prevalent with the dark colors).

Thanks! Turns out that this is indeed (as you said) a production error, but since its so bad the book only was able to get a 4.0, even the the rest of the book is pretty flawless. So the takeaway - in some cases, production errors do count.

Just purchased a comic, and on the inside first page has a piece of the ink missing.  The seller stated that a manufacturers error won't effect the grade of the comic.  I just want to make sure before I send it in to be graded.   Sorry they're not the clearest, but hope you get the idea of the "error".  

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00805.JPG

On 1/18/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mr. Pichotta said:

Just purchased a comic, and on the inside first page has a piece of the ink missing.  The seller stated that a manufacturers error won't effect the grade of the comic.  I just want to make sure before I send it in to be graded.   Sorry they're not the clearest, but hope you get the idea of the "error".  

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00805.JPG

Plates Missing image on the magenta and yellow plates.  It's not a blanket smash cause both the red and yellow colors are missing in the same spot. it has to be something going on in the plate room, you'd have to check pre production and see if it's on the go-bys.  It's not press related.  

On 1/18/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mr. Pichotta said:

DSC00804.JPG

DSC00805.JPG

Flaws on the interior generally aren't viewed as harshly as flaws on the exterior, especially if the defect is common. Something like this is pretty insignificant, IMO...

4 hours ago, Atticus123 said:

Untrimmed pages? I posted this on another forum, hope it's okay to post here too.   Have a comic with three pages where the bottom corner was not trimmed and there is extra on side and bottom.

Pretty common, actually. It would likely get you a note on the label...

8 hours ago, Atticus123 said:

Untrimmed pages? I posted this on another forum, hope it's okay to post here too.   Have a comic with three pages where the bottom corner was not trimmed and there is extra on side and bottom.

Corner1.JPG

Corner2.JPG

It's not that they were not trimmed, just that the corner of the paper sheet was folded in while it was being trimmed.  Did it affect the inking at all?

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting. I am looking at a book right now that I am thinking about buying. It has a few flaws that might be manufacturing defects and I was wondering if you could help me. Do you think this line of dots that follow the advertisement's black border are a printing error?

1300606592_s-l1600(2).jpg.dbb03feae62ef4bea5c12a3d44f7cd80.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 8:07 AM, Urion said:

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting. I am looking at a book right now that I am thinking about buying. It has a few flaws that might be manufacturing defects and I was wondering if you could help me. Do you think this line of dots that follow the advertisement's black border are a printing error?

1300606592_s-l1600(2).jpg.dbb03feae62ef4bea5c12a3d44f7cd80.jpg

Could be.  Might also just be something it was laying on.  If it's an easy issue to acquire, go find another copy.

Unfortunately its not too easy to find raw. This is the only ungraded copy I have seen so far. But it is a bit expensive so I don't know if I want it if it is less than a 9.0. If it was a 9.0+ it would be a good deal. If it turns out to be an 8.5 or less it isn't.

10 hours ago, Urion said:

Unfortunately its not too easy to find raw. This is the only ungraded copy I have seen so far. But it is a bit expensive so I don't know if I want it if it is less than a 9.0. If it was a 9.0+ it would be a good deal. If it turns out to be an 8.5 or less it isn't.

I certainly know how that is.  Sometimes we have to make due with whatever is available and hope that there'll be an upgrade down the road...  Make an offer of what you feel is fair to the owner.

So, I just got a group of 5 raw comics in the mail today that I had high hopes for being 9.8s. Unfortunately two will definitely not be. Two are, I think, borderline and one, to me, is a 9.8. I am not too disappointed since the seller never claimed a grade for them. He sent me pictures when I asked and I feel like it was worth it even if one issue comes back a 9.8. If three do it will be more than worth it. Of the two that are borderline one has what looks like damage from distribution strapping. I have heard that at 9.8 CGC still allows this kind of defect. Here is a picture. What do you guys think? Is this something that CGC will let go as production related flaws? Everything else about the comic is mint. 

DSCF4626 (2).JPG

DSCF4627 (2).JPG

Edited by Urion

@Urion unfortunately, the "handling" of the book after it's off the production line doesn't count as a "production defect".  It may certainly be a part of distribution, but...

I've seen multiple cases of distributor damage to books where it was not counted off. The most obvious and frequently occurring is where the top of the comic will be painted by distributors and comic book dealers. Stamps on books are also ignored and all these things occur after production.

Edited by Urion