• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I had a question regarding a copy of Batman 87 and what appears to be two production flaws; I am not sure if these are flaws or poor restoration attempts since I've never seen this before. The book is complete but in two instances there is a very small page fold over as though the pages were too long and cut to fit. Anyone know what this is called and how it affects  the overall grade? Thank you. 

20200920_114128.jpg

20200920_150906.jpg

1 hour ago, Craig61 said:

Hi everyone. I had a question regarding a copy of Batman 87 and what appears to be two production flaws; I am not sure if these are flaws or poor restoration attempts since I've never seen this before. The book is complete but in two instances there is a very small page fold over as though the pages were too long and cut to fit. Anyone know what this is called and how it affects  the overall grade? Thank you. 

20200920_114128.jpg

20200920_150906.jpg

That's normal.  Many golden age books used half leafs with staple flaps like that.

I have to think it's been covered on here somewhere, but I struck out in my searching.  How does a VERY badly misstapling of a book impact grade?  I've seen staples off a little on other books, but this may be the worst I've personally seen.  Book is otherwise in pretty nice shape  Thoughts?

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

On 10/9/2020 at 7:05 PM, Jim Baird said:

badly misstapling of a book impact grade?

I don't believe it would have any affect unless the grade is above 9.0.  At the highest grades, these little production issues begin to matter.

I'd love some input on these books I bought on Ebay recently.

I bought a Hulk run from 334 to 339 and something is off about most them.

First...a question.  Does a company like Marvel pull books if they have defects or do they just ship them regardless?

Now for the pics.

Each book has this very similar... one defect

Other than this defect, these books are perfect...clean spines, smooth covers and sharp corners.

First book has it on the back cover

20210126_201628.thumb.jpg.686a52de77c7ddb47507ed7727b7290f.jpg

The next book

20210126_201919.thumb.jpg.5d8d78a69f6b777b414ab1a38bb5705c.jpg

And the next book

20210126_202055.thumb.jpg.31fb7fc994657003903772a1ef66d64e.jpg

And this one

20210126_202113.thumb.jpg.aa9726f6790849e23a8eee21fe2217be.jpg

The last book has what I think is a printers crease but I'm not sure

20210126_202159.thumb.jpg.d94c4ba19c33dc80ca5ec331ef299804.jpg

It's not me, right?

Somethings up with these books. Best case scenario to me would be someone having a hookup at the factory for defected books.

I'll leave the worst case scenario up to you guys.

Thanks for looking.

I'm looking for some help/advice re an early 1960s Marvel squarebound annual, it's in really nice condition but the cover was never originally glued to the actual book. I believe that if I submit it it will be downgraded as cover detached, does anyone know if there is anyway of avoiding this ?

thanks

I would love some input one some black marks/smoodges on the cover of a Star Wars: Heir to the Empire #1 that I picked up a while ago.

The LCS I got it from seemed to think the black marks on the cover where due to manufacturer defects and that they wouldn't affect CGC grading...I'm not so sure.

To what extent would they, if at all, affect a grade?

SWHTE3.thumb.jpg.072d36794e70f8ae98afa037e44c2cd9.jpgSTHE1.thumb.jpg.d5787b80e8874c84a8cdef89873e885a.jpg

On 1/26/2021 at 5:55 PM, lostboys said:

The last book has what I think is a printers crease but I'm not sure

20210126_202159.thumb.jpg.d94c4ba19c33dc80ca5ec331ef299804.jpg

In my opinion, you got this one right (the printer crease).  The others all look as if they have "handling" issues.  It's very easy to fold over an edge when pulling/stacking raw books.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:25 PM, AndyH55 said:

I'm looking for some help/advice re an early 1960s Marvel squarebound annual, it's in really nice condition but the cover was never originally glued to the actual book. I believe that if I submit it it will be downgraded as cover detached, does anyone know if there is anyway of avoiding this ?

thanks

Hello and welcome to the Boards.

Could it be that the glue just dried out?  Photos are generally better to help others gauge condition issues.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:07 PM, NickCDA said:

I would love some input one some black marks/smoodges on the cover of a Star Wars: Heir to the Empire #1 that I picked up a while ago.

The LCS I got it from seemed to think the black marks on the cover where due to manufacturer defects and that they wouldn't affect CGC grading...I'm not so sure.

SWHTE3.thumb.jpg.072d36794e70f8ae98afa037e44c2cd9.jpgSTHE1.thumb.jpg.d5787b80e8874c84a8cdef89873e885a.jpg

It may be a production issue, but it is not common on this book.  I believe CGC would downgrade for this fairly severely.  There is a lot of interest in this book and many copies are being submitted to CGC.  After the "hype" is over, I'll be looking at adding a nice high grade CGC copy to my collection.

Hello everyone and I am really in need of help from some of the professionals on this board as cgc and myself are at odds over a comic that I had graded. Attached is a picture of the comic amazing spider-man that cgc graded for me and came back graded a 4. The grader's notes were extreme fading and therefore the 4. No other notes, I have contacted cgc through email and by phone and they insist that the comic is only faded even though it is missing lettering in 2 of the letter boxes and all of the yellow coloring on the page and all of the red on spider-man's costume....I only got this graded as I consider it a novelty and have only been a cgc member for less than a year but cannot understand why they cannot admit that they possibly made a mistake. I just received an email back from cgc saying that they talked to the grader's and it was insisted that multiple people looked over the comic to help make this determination....Curiously I ask, how does the sun decide to fade out all of the lettering in the letter boxes and not anywhere else...I will leave it up to you, the board to please help me understand the decision by cgc and thanks everyone for the help.

Daryl

s-l1600.jpg

20210216_131605.jpg

Hello all, I posted in another thread, but just found this thread. I think this thread/topic fits my question best. I have 2 issues of Albedo 3 I’m considering getting graded but there are some color issues on them. I am attaching close ups then full pics of front and back. Please tell me if you think they might be worth grading. Thanks in advance 

831EE0C5-790A-4A8F-BA9E-06E12E18A3A4.jpeg

C32C8ACB-E148-4363-AB6C-C416E7DC1135.jpeg

1F29D551-7B65-4E7D-BD38-4580ADF00C53.jpeg

4202FFA4-A123-4715-BC5A-9BB110BE2ECA.jpeg

D1A10A1C-B2F6-477A-AD0C-5897CCC25C83.jpeg

22641FEC-AE11-4EF6-9E6B-BF1EA92900AA.jpeg

Edited by PeterVComic
Forgot a sentence

On 3/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, Daryl S said:

Hello everyone and I am really in need of help from some of the professionals on this board as cgc and myself are at odds over a comic that I had graded. Attached is a picture of the comic amazing spider-man that cgc graded for me and came back graded a 4. The grader's notes were extreme fading and therefore the 4. No other notes, I have contacted cgc through email and by phone and they insist that the comic is only faded even though it is missing lettering in 2 of the letter boxes and all of the yellow coloring on the page and all of the red on spider-man's costume....I only got this graded as I consider it a novelty and have only been a cgc member for less than a year but cannot understand why they cannot admit that they possibly made a mistake. I just received an email back from cgc saying that they talked to the grader's and it was insisted that multiple people looked over the comic to help make this determination....Curiously I ask, how does the sun decide to fade out all of the lettering in the letter boxes and not anywhere else...I will leave it up to you, the board to please help me understand the decision by cgc and thanks everyone for the help.

Daryl

s-l1600.jpg

20210216_131605.jpg

Looks like a production error to me. Those blues would not be so blue if the rest of the cover was just from fading, imo. Zero fading from title text or top left text in box as well. Still black box in bottom left. That should have faded too. Not a logical path to me.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:07 PM, NickCDA said:

It's called "Scumming"  meaning the printing plate didn't come completely clean, usually the press operator or the assistant will raise the water to help clean that plate up.  

On 3/3/2021 at 6:46 PM, Daryl S said:

Daryl

s-l1600.jpg

20210216_131605.jpg

This book isn't faded.  It's missing red and yellow ink...If you walk down to a running printing press and shut off the impressions of any unit, it won't print that color anymore, it's usually done if they are having a problem, they should have thrown these copies out but sometimes they get missed and put on the skid and shipped.  

Can anyone tell me if this Marvel Comics Presents Weapon X #79 is an error and how many exist? I haven't found any, anywhere on the internet, and have asked other shop owners about it, all have the same reply, "it could be this, or that". I am 100% certain that this isnt any form of damage, it's the only one ive seen with this green color on the cover

s-l400-1.jpg

Edited by Joooe
Forgot something

On 6/3/2021 at 7:40 AM, Joooe said:

Can anyone tell me if this Marvel Comics Presents Weapon X #79 is an error and how many exist? I haven't found any, anywhere on the internet, and have asked other shop owners about it, all have the same reply, "it could be this, or that". I am 100% certain that this isnt any form of damage, it's the only one ive seen with this green color on the cover

s-l400-1.jpg

That looks awesome!

On 6/3/2021 at 10:40 AM, Joooe said:

s-l400-1.jpg

What's the background color supposed to be?  Brown right?   Ok then, Blue, Red and Yellow makes Brown.  So the Red is missing, that's why the green is showing.