• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 3:40 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Wow. That IS odd. I can’t speak to the mechanics of it, and can only say I dont believe it to be uncommon. Here’s a book of mine with the same problem.

by the way cgc grades, they would consider it to be a manufacturing problem and not count it against the grade

9613AD3E-2B6F-4925-BFA3-5093D375FC82.jpeg

St John books have ALL the production defects.  I have a St John mis-aligned staple placement too.

Teen-Age Temptations 7.JPG

On 7/19/2021 at 3:27 PM, Yorick said:

St John books have ALL the production defects.  I have a St John mis-aligned staple placement too.

Teen-Age Temptations 7.JPG

Not to mention they printed this book upside down!

hey that’s a great copy of a great book!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Not to mention they printed this book upside down!

I just wanted the staple orientation to match your back cover image... (:

Question on individual pages that appear to be miscut. Recently acquired an X-Men 10 and there are three different pages that are cut to a shorter width than the rest of the book. And not a little bit, over half an inch. Doesn't seem like a restoration / trimming attempt. Has anyone seen anything like this before? First time I've come across it. Wondering how it could impact a grade. Also, most of the book appears to have some printing misalignment. I've added the arrows in the first pic to show the difference in page width. Two others have the same issue and the fourth is a general misalignment. Thanks!

x10p1.jpg

x10p2.jpg

x10p4.jpg

x10p3.jpg

On 8/14/2021 at 8:48 AM, Christopher G said:

Question on individual pages that appear to be miscut. Recently acquired an X-Men 10 and there are three different pages that are cut to a shorter width than the rest of the book. And not a little bit, over half an inch. Doesn't seem like a restoration / trimming attempt. Has anyone seen anything like this before? First time I've come across it. Wondering how it could impact a grade. Also, most of the book appears to have some printing misalignment. I've added the arrows in the first pic to show the difference in page width. Two others have the same issue and the fourth is a general misalignment. Thanks!

x10p1.jpg

x10p2.jpg

x10p4.jpg

x10p3.jpg

Greetings and welcome to the Boards.

Do you see any tampering with the staples?  If there are any page stresses, do they go through both long and short pages (does it look like the whole book has suffered all of the same damages)?  I have plenty of books with mis-matched cutting of interior pages, but this can also happen with a married book.

A little perplexed about dramatic difference in coloring of covers on multiple copies of same issue. Have come across this a few times, but here’s the most recent example (my copy has purple and gray in place of blue, while the other one is more common and “normal”). Is this a production variant or some sort of fading? Seems unlikely they’d have deliberately not used blue for Superman’s costume.

6053ECDC-F6AC-4EC1-876A-ABEEEA755C51.jpeg

Edited by Grottu

On 11/29/2021 at 11:20 AM, Grottu said:

A little perplexed about dramatic difference in coloring of covers on multiple copies of same issue. Have come across this a few times, but here’s the most recent example (my copy has purple and gray in place of blue, while the other one is more common and “normal”). Is this a production variant or some sort of fading? Seems unlikely they’d have deliberately not used blue for Superman’s costume.

Your copy has weak cyan. Ink levels fluctuate throughout a print run and you'll notice variance if you look at enough copies of almost any issue.

Answered very early in this thread.

On 11/30/2021 at 3:15 PM, Lazyboy said:

Your copy has weak cyan. Ink levels fluctuate throughout a print run and you'll notice variance if you look at enough copies of almost any issue.

Answered very early in this thread.

Interesting, thanks. Makes sense. Not sure it would explain things like this, though. I found it on eBay while casting about for an explanation, and it looks more like fading in progress…

994CA0FA-D92B-49E7-A590-018B2E04AD68.jpeg

On 11/30/2021 at 2:26 PM, Grottu said:

Interesting, thanks. Makes sense. Not sure it would explain things like this, though. I found it on eBay while casting about for an explanation, and it looks more like fading in progress…

994CA0FA-D92B-49E7-A590-018B2E04AD68.jpeg

That one is fading. Uneven fading from being partially covered, to be specific.

As I'm sure many of you know, there's quite a craze right now over Echo (Maya Lopez) being portrayed in the Hawkeye series on Disney+, with an expected Echo spinoff series in the works. And btw, it's super cool that the character is being portrayed by an actual Native American who is deaf (and has a prosthetic leg and had no previous acting experience).

Well, let me get to my inquiry now. I was looking through my ungraded copies of Daredevil #9-12 (the first story arc featuring Echo), and I noticed that Daredevil #9 and #10 each have this line on the back cover not far from the spine and parallel to it. Because I'm not feeling like taking photos right now, I found a few examples that are currently listed on eBay:

This current listing has an example on the back cover of the Daredevil #9 (which is a Hulk advertisement for drinking milk); look at the top right where the light is glaring: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275069092598?epid=1002112263

This current listing has an example on the back cover of the Daredevil #10 (which is a Spider-Man advertisement for drinking milk); it mostly can be seen above the building on the right: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125056062337

Does anyone know if this is a manufacturing defect or a packaging/shipment or storage flaw of some sort? In addition to the two comics I have, I also noticed this defect on several other examples of these comics on eBay. Beyond wondering what caused this defect or flaw, I'm also wondering how much such a defect on its own would likely affect the grade of a comic (e.g., if there are sharp corners, no stress lines, otherwise flat covers, etc.).

Edited by comicdiablo

On 12/23/2021 at 2:08 AM, comicdiablo said:

Does anyone know if this is a manufacturing defect or a packaging/shipment or storage flaw of some sort?

Those pictures make it look like a non-color breaking crease.  In hand, the paper is flat?

On 12/23/2021 at 12:43 PM, Yorick said:

Those pictures make it look like a non-color breaking crease.  In hand, the paper is flat?

Yes, the covers are flat but have that non-color breaking crease running parallel to the spine across the back cover (more apparent when reflected under light). Because I've seen it on multiple copies of Daredevil #9 and #10, both in hand and on eBay, it seems like it was some sort of systematic occurrence.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, comicdiablo said:

Yes, the covers are flat but have that non-color breaking crease running parallel to the spine across the back cover (more apparent when reflected under light). Because I've seen it on multiple copies of Daredevil #9 and #10, both in hand and on eBay, it seems like it was some sort of systematic occurrence.

The paper would not be flat if it's a crease.  There would be a slight wave.

It may be something occurred during distribution.  Perhaps the weight of other books stacked on top without the stacks being aligned.  Something like that might cause many similar creases across many books.  It also may yet be a printer error.  The books all go through folding/stapling and may have picked up a crease parallel to the spine during the process.

I think if you're planning to submit your copies for grading, you should have them pressed if you want the highest grades.  There are too many what-if's to call it a production error with any certainty.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, comicdiablo said:

Broadly speaking, if you have a defect that appears on many copies of that exact issue, it happened during production.  There are exceptions to this (warehouse copies that were all subjected to the same conditions, etc.) but it's a fairly safe assumption.  2c

On 8/1/2021 at 3:45 PM, lostboys said:

I posted this book in the "spare a grade" section.

Would the bottom if the spine be considered production related?

The book looks pretty flawless other than that.

Thanks for taking a look!

20210801_122719.jpg

20210801_122825.jpg

The way CGC is grading now, this will come back a 9.0