• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

I apologize if this has been covered already, but I don't have time to wade through all 34 pages!  (I did look at the first few).

I've come across several Marvel books now that have a line of raised ridges on the cover.  I assume this is an impression from a roller to move the book along the production line, and thus wouldn't count against a potential 9.8.  Is this a known production issue?

20230308_095809a.thumb.jpg.259eff6ec5f59a217b38b7a7d906c176.jpg

Logically if this is a pressable defect then it wouldn't pass pass muster at 9.8, even if production related, in my non expert opinion. Better placed board members will no doubt be along to confirm or counter my assumption. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong! Otherwise we'd be seeing 9.8s submitted for pressing and coming back 9.9 and this just doesn't happen.

I have a copy of Brave and the Bold 147 that is in good shape apart from some scratches/creases from production. I have photos of other copies online with the same flaw. Not all copies seem to have it. How would CGC approach this book? Green label? Blue with grade hit?

Screenshot_20230311-214053_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c787f5df4aea55cf805d79f357e4360d.jpg20230311_213309.thumb.jpg.496fce19bf38d420fa9101f624bda623.jpg20230311_213413.thumb.jpg.a0a06195bfa1e30673153aa89f9941eb.jpg20230311_213239.thumb.jpg.6bf7e9552ac0bfbb24872aebe1130f6b.jpg20230311_213335.thumb.jpg.e638deec9a5e122414e5dc2f6fd2c5db.jpg

On 3/12/2023 at 1:21 PM, Beyonder123 said:

Any ideas??

paper folds as it is being put through rollers.  Production.  It would be interesting to see someone press that out and there'd be a white, unprinted line across the sheet.  :insane:

On 3/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, Yorick said:

paper folds as it is being put through rollers.  Production.  It would be interesting to see someone press that out and there'd be a white, unprinted line across the sheet.  :insane:

it can't be pressed out and those types of creases occur after it's been printed, so no, a white line won't appear 

Question. I have a Golden Age Mystic comic. In reasonable condition. 
main issue is a misalignment of the spine when stapled. This makes the edges very unsquare. Removing the staples and reattaching would fix the problem. I’m new to grading. Would the cost of this restoration be worth it on a below $500 comic?
Any info appreciate 

On 12/10/2023 at 8:05 AM, ZombieTombie said:

Question. I have a Golden Age Mystic comic. In reasonable condition. 
main issue is a misalignment of the spine when stapled. This makes the edges very unsquare. Removing the staples and reattaching would fix the problem. I’m new to grading. Would the cost of this restoration be worth it on a below $500 comic?
Any info appreciate 

Greetings.  Welcome to the CGC Boards.

Pictures are always more helpful when others are trying to weigh in on how to help you with your book.  Generally, when a comic is made it is stapled, cut squarely and aligned correctly.  With many old comics that are piled up in a haphazard way, the weight of the pile slowly pulls one half of the book more than the other, and the alignment becomes skewed.  In the hobby we call it "spine roll", and that is not from the production stapling.  Restoration is unnecessary in such cases.  A simple "press" will remove a spine roll.  It sounds like you have a cool book!  (thumbsu

On 12/12/2023 at 6:16 AM, ZombieTombie said:

IMG_0626.jpeg

I see.  More than just some spine roll here.

Consider how this book would look if you realigned the open edge.  Would the front cover spine then be showing on the back?  The mis-cut doesn't seem to affect the story inside.  If it were my book I'd leave it as it is.  2c

That little bit of story showing makes me want to read it!!

I have a Venom 1 Gold that I think has issues from production. Looks to have 2 places that the foil is not there and a ink spot by spider-man. Anyone seen these issues with this book?

IMG_4773.jpg

IMG_4600.jpg

image0.jpeg