• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL number system

2 posts in this topic

I buy new comics on-and-off. Can someone explain the second set of numbers that is shown on the cover. Forinstance; FF#59 also has #488 on the cover. Is that number suppost to be a continuation from the original first volumn of FF numbers? If it is, it don't jive. Wasn't the last issue #416, the Onslaught bs. That would be 72 issues in between, not 59. Maybe I just don't understand this number system. Can someone make this clearer for me. I'd appreaciate it.

Another thing; why did Marvel decide to add this second issue number to some titles?

What FF issue started with these second numbers?

And; which other titles have this second set of numbers?

The Current FF is regarded as Volume #3... the 416-issue run is considered vol #1... there also was a volume #2 which ran for 13 issues...hence the 13-issue gap you noticed. volume #2 was entirely played out in Franklin Richard's "pocket universe"

Marvel started putting the dual numbering on the covers because a lot of old-school fans kept bugging them about and a sort of 'nod' (Joe the Q's words, not mine) to the creators of yore..

All the long-running titles got the dual-numbering at some point (except Uncanny X-men):

[*]Amazing Spider-man

[*]Peter Parker: Spider-Man

[*]Fantastic Four

[*]Thor

[*]Daredevil

[*]Iron Man

[*]Captain America

[*]Incredible Hulk

[*]Avengers

The changes started in the May issues of 2001...

These are the only ones I know by heart

Amazing Spider-man Vol 2 #30

Iron Man Vol3 #41

Peter Parker: Spider-Man Vol 2 #30