• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mid-Ohio Comic Con, now a 3 day con, Sept 28-30

60 posts in this topic

What as it like last year? This was a fairly sparsely attended 2 day show from what I remembered.

the thrill for me at Mid Ohio was you always saw the people that wouldn't be at wizard shows. It was a big show with a small venue feeling.

The main reason I missed last year was because I had just seen them all at Chicago.

the thrill for me at Mid Ohio was you always saw the people that wouldn't be at wizard shows. It was a big show with a small venue feeling.

The main reason I missed last year was because I had just seen them all at Chicago.

+1

I stopped going when Wizard bought the show - you're right on the money about the current guest list being pretty much the same as every other show on the Wizard tour.

Yeah, but the ceiling lights were awesome!! In all seriousness, they had a lot of artists there, and the artist alley area was pretty jammed. More so on Saturday, and pretty busy on Sunday. I dont sell comics so i cannot give you a detailed answer on sales for comic books. There were some dealers there. If i remember, Greg Reece was there with his normal assortment of awesomeness, so he might be better off with an answer for comics.

Im always set up accross from the artists, so i can tell you that they were pretty busy,

Jeff

I prefer the old Mid-Ohio con as well. But last years show (the first year run by Wizard) was probably the most well attended the show has ever been. It was packed!

Plus, this years con will have Alan Davis!! Who not only isn't on the Wizard tour, he rarely comes to the states outside of Comic-Con.

I believe his last visit to the midwest was drummmm rollll plllleeaaasseee, PRE wizard MID OHIO CON. Next opinion why wizard is better?

Yeah, but the ceiling lights were awesome!! In all seriousness, they had a lot of artists there, and the artist alley area was pretty jammed. More so on Saturday, and pretty busy on Sunday. I dont sell comics so i cannot give you a detailed answer on sales for comic books. There were some dealers there. If i remember, Greg Reece was there with his normal assortment of awesomeness, so he might be better off with an answer for comics.

Im always set up accross from the artists, so i can tell you that they were pretty busy,

Jeff

Oh, I don't doubt you there - Wizard benefits from a much larger ad budget & name recognition and they consistently draw larger crowds to the shows they purchase. I'm just lamenting the weakening of the guest list - there are a lot of creators who hate Wizard with a vengeance and won't come to any show associated with them.

Wizard is great at filling up an artist alley - if by "artist" you mean "anyone even remotely associated with comic books who's willing to pay the table fee" :)

Anthony, at what point did I say I thought Wizard World was better? I said I prefered the old Mid-Ohio but gave credit where credit was do by saying last years show was the largest attendence numbers ever for the con. I also pointed out that a rare guest like Alan Davis will be coming to the con without being a standard part of the Wizard tour. Which is what everyone was complaining about. Same guests at each of their cons. Here is a guest that barely comes to the US and Wizard has him for one show. Yes he has done the con twice before. Which means the Henry brothers probably are still helping run the show. If you think 3 Alan Davis appearances at Mid-Ohio in ten years is too much then don't bother going in his line.

i was pointing out that mid ohio was great without wizard. I'm glad Alan Davis is coming and that will be the one line i'm in unless they add Barry Kitson, but I'm sure alan would have if it wasn't a wizard show. Not sure where your hostility is coming from. Your name was was above the post area, not like i quoted you or anythign.

No hostility from me, Anthony. I was the one who said Alan Davis was coming. You then said he had been to MOC before and mockingly asked for another opinion why Wizard was better. Since you addressed my Alan Davis announcement it sounded like you were trying to mock me after I said he was on the guest list. But if you say that wasn't your intent then I'll leave it at that.

Jeff

Oh, I don't doubt you there - Wizard benefits from a much larger ad budget & name recognition and they consistently draw larger crowds to the shows they purchase. I'm just lamenting the weakening of the guest list - there are a lot of creators who hate Wizard with a vengeance and won't come to any show associated with them.

Wizard is great at filling up an artist alley - if by "artist" you mean "anyone even remotely associated with comic books who's willing to pay the table fee" :)

I see your point. I am only speaking from the view of artist alley. It was busy with artists and the attendees. Whether the names aren't to everyones liking is a different story.

Mid-Ohio was a great little show that always managed to bring in artists that weren't at tons of shows. Alan Davis, P. Craig Russell, Keith Pollard etc.

The show last year was decent. It just didn't feel like Mid-Ohio. It felt like a pint sized WWChicago. Not necessarily bad, just different. Like when your favorite indy band releases an album that starts getting radio play. I am going to keep going to the WW show, but I do lament the demise of Mid-Ohio. It was a great show.

Last year was the first Mid-Ohio I've missed in awhile so I can't comment on the difference since Wizard took over, but I'm sure there is a difference. Hoping that Jeremy Bastian will show up this year but so far, doesn't appear he is attending. Come down from that state up North Jeremy!!!