• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

excelsior1986 I have a bone to pick with you.

332 posts in this topic

Plus he made a larger purchase on 4/28

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5620957&fpart=10

I only noticed because a friend mentioned that he had not received payment for some other books that Excelsior had purchased, I was considering buying this book, so I was surprised when I saw who bought it.

I know that Mike has done all he can to pay it forward.

We have some very generous people on this board...and most of the people who need help, really need it, so I'd hate to have someone who is probably very young, act like he is younger than his real age.

I am sure most of us have hit bad spells and wanted to shop, it's a common reaction, I know I've been there myself...but most of us try not to take money from others and do that.

I'd suggest that if Excelsior is OK now and doesn't need funds, he does what Mike did and pay Mike's kindness forward...perhaps even with some of the books he just bought. :wishluck:

Who knows, maybe he's got some grand plan to flip the books and pay the guy back and make some dough?

Unlikely I'll admit, but its not too late ...

Well said Sharon! :)

And Mike, that was VERY generous and gracious of you to help out someone you thought needed a hand!

BUT.

My real question is this...

After reading your thread,

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5636840&fpart=1

I contacted you, and decided I would help out by sending you $500 on the 1st of this month.

You told me:

"I gave 300 to my mom for rent and the rest will be going towards my phone bill, an upcoming doctors visit and gas".

Although the money was given to you to spend how you saw fit, I am wondering if you made the right choices?

On 5/2 you purchased:

Terrifying tales #14 for $40

4 war books for $14

Nancy and Sluggo for $15

On 5/4 you purchased:

Whiz #60 for $35

Flash Gordon for $10

On 5/5 you purchased:

Pep #29 for $55

Tec #28 for 25

Doll Man #43 for $40

These are just the ones I know of (except for the larger purchase you told me about).

The good new is, that I have learned something from this. I am posting this in case someone else thinks it's a good idea to help you out.

:oHOW THE HELL DID HE PICK UP A 'TEC 28 FOR $25.00?! :o

It was a nice gesture, that's the main thing. But is what the person did any worse than any number of people here who have sales here to help out with their home, brother, mother, dog etc....only to see them buying books in other sales threads simultaneously? (shrug)

Who knows, maybe he's got some grand plan to flip the books and pay the guy back and make some dough?

Unlikely I'll admit, but its not too late ...

"On 5/2 you purchased:

4 war books for $14

Nancy and Sluggo for $15

On 5/4 you purchased:

Whiz #60 for $35

Flash Gordon for $10

On 5/5 you purchased:

Pep #29 for $55

Tec #28 for 25

Doll Man #43 for $40"

I seriously doubt these books would flip easy if ever. This looks like a sham. Did anyone verify his story?

We've had a lot of bad things happen to really good people on this board but some times you have to be sure it's true. This guys been around for less then year hm

I recently bought two cover recreations from him and know several others have done the same.

I felt badly for his situation and felt giving him work would be better than just giving money to him.

Mike, nice gesture for sure but you offered the money and you can't dictate how he spends it, unfortunately that's not how a gift works. I understand being upset about it though. It's not cool to take money from someone and then publicly buy stuff when people are under the impression you are on hard times ad taking money from strangers.

It is possible that the 500 given to him by Comicdonna went to its intended purposes. I have noticed that this boardie has also made sales of his original self created artwork and I have seen that several peices had sold for $50 each and I think he has contracts for more work. The money that he bought comics with could be the money he obtained from art sales.

It is possible that the 500 given to him by Comicdonna went to its intended purposes. I have noticed that this boardie has also made sales of his original self created artwork and I have seen that several peices had sold for $50 each and I think he has contracts for more work. The money that he bought comics with could be the money he obtained from art sales.

The point is if your down and out or need to put food on the table or pay your electric bill,do you buy comics first?regardless where the money came from,don't cry homeless on one hand and buy comics on the other. (shrug)

Well said Sharon! :)

And Mike, that was VERY generous and gracious of you to help out someone you thought needed a hand!

BUT.

My real question is this...

After reading your thread,

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5636840&fpart=1

I contacted you, and decided I would help out by sending you $500 on the 1st of this month.

You told me:

"I gave 300 to my mom for rent and the rest will be going towards my phone bill, an upcoming doctors visit and gas".

Although the money was given to you to spend how you saw fit, I am wondering if you made the right choices?

On 5/2 you purchased:

4 war books for $14

Nancy and Sluggo for $15

On 5/4 you purchased:

Whiz #60 for $35

Flash Gordon for $10

On 5/5 you purchased:

Pep #29 for $55

Tec #28 for 25

Doll Man #43 for $40

These are just the ones I know of (except for the larger purchase you told me about).

The good new is, that I have learned something from this. I am posting this in case someone else thinks it's a good idea to help you out.

:oHOW THE HELL DID HE PICK UP A 'TEC 28 FOR $25.00?! :o

Tec #248

Plus, if he's selling artwork and has contracts for more artwork he can repay the $500 first, then buy some comics.

Peace,

Chip

It wasn't a loan, it was a "gift" if i understand correctly :gossip:

Plus, if he's selling artwork and has contracts for more artwork he can repay the $500 first, then buy some comics.

Peace,

Chip

I know it was a gift ,but! If I were to get 500 dollars from a complete stranger to pay my bills,I would feel obligated to pay it back to ease my mind.

Peace,

Chip

I know it was a gift ,but! If I were to get 500 dollars from a complete stranger to pay my bills,I would feel obligated to pay it back to ease my mind.

If I were to get $500 from a complete stranger to pay my bills, I wouldn't buy comics, period. It's bad form to accept money in the guise of poverty and buy .

Peace,

Chip

If I were to get $500 from a complete stranger to pay my bills, I wouldn't buy comics, period. It's bad form to accept money in the guise of poverty and buy .

(thumbs u

It looks like he got into trouble and was foreclosed?

Generally speaking, without a change in behavior, people tend to follow the same pattern.

Buying more house than one can afford may be replaced by buying more books than one can afford