• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

excelsior1986 I have a bone to pick with you.

332 posts in this topic

I live with a philosophy that almost everything we do is essentially selfish. Generally, we do things for others because we prefer the way the feeling of doing it over the feeling of not doing it.

I know that I have done one unselfish thing in my life, because I hate the fact that I gave money to a particular person. I don't know what the person did with it and I'll never find out, but I wish I had that money instead of them.

It's a small consolation about feeling unhappy about generosity. :P

I don't mean to be unkind, but I think I need a translator. :shrug:

Mike did a good deed...he was disappointed in the actions taken by the person he helped.

He made a comment because he was informing the forum...not much different than when someone posts about an eBay person doing something wrong, or a possible probation person.

The bottom line is, MIKE did a good deed..

Mike is not the person who should be chastised here...

I really surprised with some of these comments

There might be many reasons why Excelsior made his choices, some might be for good reasons, some not...or it might have just been thoughtlessness....however, I don't see Mike as the person who should be called selfish, it's just silly.

COI on Cash Relief

Mike, I applaud your noble intent, but some people just suck with money. And there is a direct correlation between sucking with money, and being in financially precarious situations.

+ 1 TRILLION

or is it 6 trillions by now

People....the guy seems like a decent guy from my recent dealings on the art. I know nothing more than that but my gut is usually right.

Let's see what his response is before the pitchforks come out.

Yes, history has shown that we have a right to be skeptical. Just saying before the guy is deemed guilty, let's hear what he has to say about it. I'm fairly sure he will come on here and post something.

Of course, taking the money and then spending in the forum doesn't look like a wise move. Perhaps the purchase was using someone else's money? Unlikely but possible.

I could be wrong....and if so...disregard everything I just wrote. :)

+1

I'm all for busting out the pitchforks but......i dont know excelsior other than a few pm exchanges. I asked him to do a cover for me and he agreed to like a week ago. He easily could have asked me to pay up front and i would have but he didn't ask for any money from me until it is done. If he was some scammer, i think he would have tried to get the $50 from me right away (shrug)

I definitely understand Mike being upset about this situation but my gut tells me there is nothing more nefarious going on here except for some poor money management hm

+2

I like the guy, and I'm sure this is just some sort of miscommunication.

I mean, only a complete doosh would tell a hard luck story on a comic message board, take a gift of money given straight from the heart from a fellow boardie, and then turn right around and publicly spend it on comic books right in front of everyone. I mean, you'd have to be one callous, mouth-breathing, selfish, lying, sociopath to do something like that.

Have faith people, he's a good person. I'm sure it's just a simple case of his coming into a sudden unexpected windfall of money right after he received the gift, and then returning the gift immediately so that Comicdonna can go on helping less fortunate people. I'm sure his only crime here is failing to communicate in a timely manner that this entire gift has been returned (and probably with interest if I know excelsior1986).

Just wait and see. You'll all feel kinda silly for doubting him.

:)

The recipient may be the greatest guy in the world, but pulling a clown move makes you a clown in my book. Not the first time I've seen it here unfortunately...maybe I'm jaded, but things like this make it a tough sell for me to be generous to people I don't know. On the other hand, If a friend needed something I would bust my back to help them out.

I mean, only a complete doosh would tell a hard luck story on a comic message board, take a gift of money given straight from the heart from a fellow boardie, and then turn right around and publicly spend it on comic books right in front of everyone. I mean, you'd have to be one callous, mouth-breathing, selfish, lying, sociopath to do something like that.

Have faith people, he's a good person. I'm sure it's just a simple case of his coming into a sudden unexpected windfall of money right after he received the gift, and then returning the gift immediately so that Comicdonna can go on helping less fortunate people. I'm sure his only crime here is failing to communicate in a timely manner that this entire gift has been returned (and probably with interest if I know excelsior1986).

Really? All of us will feel silly? I sure as frack won't. No matter how you shake this it's a dooshy move. He shouldn't have been buying any comics period. And if he's one of the new powerball winners, he should've graciously returned Mike's gift prior to purchasing any freaking comics.

I don't care if he's the nicest guy in the universe. At a minimum what he's done is moronic. This isn't junior high. At least appear to act like a grown up and make somewhat intelligent, grown up decisions.

The recipient may be the greatest guy in the world, but pulling a clown move makes you a clown in my book. Not the first time I've seen it here unfortunately...maybe I'm jaded, but things like this make it a tough sell for me to be generous to people I don't know. On the other hand, If a friend needed something I would bust my back to help them out.

+1

This is a post worthy of a plus. Thanks for throwing clown out there. I was thinking something more along the lines of....well, never mind it would just get spooned anyway.

I don't blame pitchforks coming out, I would've done the same thing if this situation didn't involve myself.

First of all, mike, I am very very sorry if my spending made it seem like your very gracious and generous act went to waste. But I assure you, it didnt.

There's a couple points that I want to make clear and verify correct that have been made in the previous comments up until now. I do at times have trouble managing money, and probably have spent more than I should in the sales forum in the past few weeks. But these agreed upon sales were not intended to be paid with money that I'm thinking is just going to appear out of thin air. Every single book I posted a :takeit: for is going to be paid for, and I know exactly where that money will be coming from. Wether it's sales from cover commissions or actual physical money that I will be sending out money orders with. Every book should be paid for within the next week, and it's probably taking me longer to pay some people off than it should, and for that I apologize.

Regarding the money mike gave me, I wish mike and I didn't have to discuss this publically but I feel like I shouldn't be left to be known as the moocher that begs for rent money and then buys comics with it. Mike very kindly gave me 500 (trust me, I'm still as shocked as probably everyone else on here) and I told him I was going to use 300 for rent, and the rest for other bills. After calculating what I needed to pay off ($418) I sent that to my mom so she could cash it out for me, and give me the remainder of 118 to pay what I needed to pay. I admit the rest of it went to a few books ( the terrifying tales and the detective 248, and the books from the love not war thread). I don't know if this was the wrong thing to do, but if ao I'm very sorry for it. I was actually getting ready to message you, mike, to let you know how the money went to help myself and my mom, and what books I bought with it. I'm not just saying this to make you look bad mike, it's just the truth. All the other books I have purchased I either still have remanding balances for agreed upon by time payment ( the pep 19 and blue ribbon), the sellers are still waiting for payment or they were paid for by money I still had left from the sales of my artwork.

Mike, again, I am very sorry if I made it seem like that money went to waste, because in actuality, it helped us more than you could imagine. I hope I didn't take your generous act for granted and I certainly hope it didn't ruin your beliefs of karma and reaching out to help people because there are very few people left in the world that would do something like you did and If I in any way helped destroy that part of the world, I would feel just horrible.

Also, thank you again Mike, from the bottom of my soul. I feel like I've said it too many times but not enough. Thank you thank you thank you.

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask.

I live with a philosophy that almost everything we do is essentially selfish. Generally, we do things for others because we prefer the way the feeling of doing it over the feeling of not doing it.

I know that I have done one unselfish thing in my life, because I hate the fact that I gave money to a particular person. I don't know what the person did with it and I'll never find out, but I wish I had that money instead of them.

It's a small consolation about feeling unhappy about generosity. :P

I don't mean to be unkind, but I think I need a translator. :shrug:

Mike did a good deed...he was disappointed in the actions taken by the person he helped.

He made a comment because he was informing the forum...not much different than when someone posts about an eBay person doing something wrong, or a possible probation person.

The bottom line is, MIKE did a good deed..

Mike is not the person who should be chastised here...

I really surprised with some of these comments

There might be many reasons why Excelsior made his choices, some might be for good reasons, some not...or it might have just been thoughtlessness....however, I don't see Mike as the person who should be called selfish, it's just silly.

Definitely not. Mike is anything but selfish. Nothing bad of his name or actions, including this post, should come of this.

Also, if anyone thinks I deserve the title of board clown, so be it. I'll just have to prove myself otherwise. It's completely understandable. I'll man up and take the verbal beatings, because there just not worth leaving a great community.

I'm sure some people still won't be happy with that explanation but I'll at least give you two thumbs up for manning up and coming here to respond and explain yourself.

I like both you and Mike and really, can see both sides here (shrug)

Really? All of us will feel silly? I sure as frack won't. No matter how you shake this it's a dooshy move. He shouldn't have been buying any comics period. And if he's one of the new powerball winners, he should've graciously returned Mike's gift prior to purchasing any freaking comics.

I don't care if he's the nicest guy in the universe. At a minimum what he's done is moronic. This isn't junior high. At least appear to act like a grown up and make somewhat intelligent, grown up decisions.

Evidently no one gets my humor.

I'll try to spoon-feed it next time.

Yeah, at least use a more proper emoticon next time to convey your message. :baiting:

As an objective bystander I can honestly say it was pretty obvious without a single emoticon.

COI on Cash Relief

1) Don't lend money out that you actually expect back.

2) Don't give money out with the expectation that people can prioritize, or that they'll prioritize the way you think they should.

3) Donate money with the understanding that most of it probably won't end up where it should.

4) Give because it's the right thing to do, not because it will make things right.

Mike, I applaud your noble intent, but some people just suck with money. And there is a direct correlation between sucking with money, and being in financially precarious situations.

:applause:

Also, if anyone thinks I deserve the title of board clown, so be it. I'll just have to prove myself otherwise. It's completely understandable. I'll man up and take the verbal beatings, because there just not worth leaving a great community.

Let me just preface what I'm about to say by letting it be known that I fully believe in your right to live your life however you choose. So my apologies if this next part sounds a bit preachy.

You've been foreclosed on recently. An event of that magnitude, happening just a couple of months ago is recent imo. You also state you sometimes have trouble managing money and think you may have spent a little too much on the forums here recently.

My man, I don't know all that much about your personal life but there's that old saying about what to do first when you're up to your neck in alligators......

fyi, by buying comics this soon I gotta tell you that you're doing it wrong.

I hope things are turning around for you. I wish the best for you. And kudos to you for manning up here. That's a big deal in my book. But unless your circumstances have changed dramatically in a couple months, perhaps the comics can wait? (shrug)

I'll at least give you two thumbs up for manning up and coming here to respond and explain yourself.

I will too. Clearly, he is a really nice guy. He could have come on here and argued with me. I applaud him for being honest.

I do wish you the best of luck, Austin.

Yeah, at least use a more proper emoticon next time to convey your message. :baiting:

As an objective bystander I can honestly say it was pretty obvious without a single emoticon.

(worship)

meh