• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grading continues to get worse on Ebay

13 posts in this topic

Grading is getting worse on Ebay. Since when is a book with a missing page vg? Covers with chunks out listed as fines. I expect overgrading on books bordering on NM but seeing ragged fair copies being auctioned as vg-fines pisses me off. Better yet these clown throw in the old I've been buying and selling since caveman days. Worst thing is people are buying this garbage.

It seems like a lot of people don't really pay much attention to the differences in the lower grades and when they have something that can fall in down there they just toss out whatever low grade comes to mind.

Brian

I wouldn't say the grading was getting any worse. There have always been lots of sellers on ebay that either have no idea how to grade accurately, or deliberately overgrade to make more money.

You just have to find a few reliable dealers/ sellers with grading that you can trust and only buy raw books from them. The reason that cgc books have sold so well in the past few years is because of the confidence in the grading service. Buying raw books has always been a risky business.

I second that. I only trust a handful of sellers with grading. I recently purchased "NM" books from a person with impeccable feedback who claims to sell nothing but HG books. The sad thing is, I paid this person more than guide NM b/c I trusted him. smirk.gif *Sigh* Never again

Didn't dogg have a Hulk 181 cgc 9.2 green top w/ missing MVS? Does this mean it would have averaged out a RAW fine- or vg?

I remember the pedigree (Mile High or Larson?) golden age Adventure Comic keys that have the back cover coupon cut out being offered at raw vf guide 3 yrs ago.

vg+ ? maybe now. A few years ago a coupon out was good at best I guess since CGC slabbed an Action 1 with a large piece of the damned cover out as Good 2.5 heck it might be a fine for all I know. How come with guide values reaching astronomical heights the grading standards are getting worse? Tape used to be good at best maybe vg ir it was super minor now I see whole spine taped and its vg+

CGC hasnt helped grading any. It just makes the situtation worse especially with HG books. I too used to bid well on "NM" raw books unless the seller accepts returns I dont bother because in the long run if you factor the overgraded dogcrap you get in with the few that are accurately graded you would be better off even paying the crazy prices slabbed NM's can get.

Wasn't it always ever thus?

In the pre-eBay era, when I haunted the comics shops and shows in my area (Los Angeles), there were many vendors who "up-graded" their books and priced accordingly. Books that most savvy collecters wouldn't grade above a VG were often marked (and priced) VN/NM. It wasn't unusual to see Fair or Poor books sold as Good or VG.

The vendors who did this tended to be the same guys who were very hesitant to let you open the plastic and examine the inside pages. (I guess the eBay equivalent of this practice is including a low-res scan with the listing.)

I've gotta admit I have been collecting for many years and I am glad CGC is here. I am sure there are people who feel that they CGC makes mistakes once in awhile but I feel they are doing a great job. If you buy something on Ebay in CGC 9.4 you have a pretty good idea of what it looks like, now you buy joe blows 9.4 and I feel its a [!@#%^&^] shoot. All in all I'll take CGC and what they offer then pre-cgc joes trying to grade.

Recently, Heritage featured a CGC graded Flash 1 BLUE top 5.5 with TAPE on the spine/front cover!!!!! It looked to be a piece of average magic tape dispensor width, possibly an inch long, wrapped from the front cover around the spine, over the bottom staple.

I think the big problem with grading on Ebay is that their is no accountability on Ebay's part. I used Safe harbour to report a seller that was blatantly overstating the grades of the comics he was selling, I'm talking VG's that were listed as VF's. They never got back to me so I took it a step further and bid on one of this guys auction for a Captain Galliant #1 (Non Heinz) version from 1955 that he listed as a 9.8 in his auction. Sure enough when the item arrived it was clearly not a 9.8, but the funny thing was that it was borderline NM (9.0-9.2) and I paid $5 dollars for it. So I guess the moral here is that if you know how to grade, and if the scan is good enough, you can probably do pretty well on Ebay due to so many books being undergraded. grin.gif