• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats an acceptable markup???

Would a 66%+ markup 1 month later turn you off to a seller?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Would a 66%+ markup 1 month later turn you off to a seller?

36 posts in this topic

If its a semi-rare key book in top condition, the seller will get his price over time.

What he paid for a book is important to him for setting his price. I don't see how it means anything to a buyer. You evidently had the opportunity to outbid him when the book was at auction, and chose not to. The auction is over, and the results are meaningless. Seller knows what he wants, and is willing to wait on it.

Well, thats kind of my point. I and everyone else in the world had the chance to outbid them and didnt think the book was worth any more. Why now would it be worth close to double what anyone in the world was willing to pay just last month? I just dont understand the logic in that unless you are following blackstarcomics business model ???

Sometimes the logic equates to: 'I don't really want to sell this book, but I'd let it go at price X.'

hey, that could definitely be the case which is why im not saying anything bad about the seller or giving any details whatsoever (thumbs u

I'm still just wondering how many if any people it bothers when they see that.

Again though, before anyone gets any more annoyed than they already are, im not saying hes doing anything wrong or trying to call him our or anything like that which is why im not going to give any specifics whatsoever. I'm just wondering how many people if any when they see that give an eyeroll and/or think something negative about the seller.

Honestly, if a book you were following in a auction goes for say $800 and 2 weeks later you see it on eBay for $1500, it has no negative connotations about the seller in your mind? And i'm not saying it should, im just wondering what %of people it does (shrug)

Me, sometimes.

If it's a book I wanted, I think some of it may be frustration that I didn't bid high enough, or, like you, missed or didn't know about the auction.

I also wonder if I don't somehow self-award myself a moral high ground by saying: 'I really wanted that book for myself, that guy just wants to flip it.' hm

That's definitely a part of it I'd think. Again though, I'm not annoyed about this book I'm talking about, I didn't even bid on it. The other boom I talked about a few posts later did annoy me just because the eBay seller tried to lie to me about what they paid.

Again though, I'm just wondering at what point it makes you look bad. Obviously, blackstarcomics is WAAAAY past that limit. I'm just curious if people think this(66%) is getting close to that "turn people off" level (shrug)

Well, i never realy thought about that but that isnt the case with this book. I know what this books sold for and that the person now selling it was the buyer at that original price.

Again though, before anyone gets any more annoyed than they already are, im not saying hes doing anything wrong or trying to call him our or anything like that which is why im not going to give any specifics whatsoever. I'm just wondering how many people if any when they see that give an eyeroll and/or think something negative about the seller.

Honestly, if a book you were following in a auction goes for say $800 and 2 weeks later you see it on eBay for $1500, it has no negative connotations about the seller in your mind? And i'm not saying it should, im just wondering what %of people it does (shrug)

What they list the book for does nothing to change my day to day life. If I see a high starting price I ignore it and move on.

You're not alone. I've been at that same spot.

When I see a kookball price, it doesn't make me want to run over and give the guy a handshake and ask him," What else do you have for sale?"

But sometimes it depends on the book.

A shop owner makes anywhere from 40 to 55% profit off each new book he sells at cover price.( I'm not sure about current diamond discounts but those were the traditional markups in the industry.)

When I look at a collection, I certainly try to buy it at less than half what I think I can sell it for, so in both cases we are looking at around 50% markups.

something else to conider is the hidden cost of auctions. I'm in NY and if I win a book from comic connect or HA, I pay an additional 9% in sales tax, then have shipping and insurance to deal with.

I recently won a book for $347 and my final cost was over $390.

To me it doesn't matter what the dealer markup is. What matters to me is whether or not I think the price is fair, whether they're making a 1% profit or a 100.

With that being said, it doesn't make sense for a business to buy something at auction for resale. (Generally) speaking auctions are the market, so they'd be buying at market prices and then trying to sell for a profit.

Just remember to have a little patience. More than likely you will see the book again for sale for at a more decent price.

Especially if its something as common as a Silver Age Marvel :baiting:

I'm almost numb to markups.

In OA, there have been more than a few instances where pages are marked up 100% - to 200% on dealers websites the day after they were purchased from an auction house.

A book that i was strongly considering in April i see is re-listed at QUITE the markup now. I dont want to give out prices and name names but lets just say its over 66% higher than what it sold for at auction about a month ago. One other thing, this is a key book. It did not go "dirt cheap" or unnoticed. It was fairly well advertised so in my mind, it got the price it was worth in the auction.

Speculators, flippers, and middle-men seem to buy half the books in the hobby these days. How many nice keys are purchased via auction on Clink, Heritage, etc.,. only to show up on ebay within a week priced at 30-50% higher? A bunch, that's how many! :frustrated:

I know it's frustrating, but every book has it's price. I think some collectors will buy a book for their collection but offer it on a fixed price site (like Clink or Ebay) and if another buyer wants it that much more and is willing to pay for it, it's their money. (shrug)

To me it doesn't matter what the dealer markup is. What matters to me is whether or not I think the price is fair, whether they're making a 1% profit or a 100.

With that being said, it doesn't make sense for a business to buy something at auction for resale. (Generally) speaking auctions are the market, so they'd be buying at market prices and then trying to sell for a profit.

Quite often auctions don't reflect market price, and can go both high and low. I have bought several books in various Clink auctions specifically for resale and have made money on all of them (around 20% after fees on average, though my sample size isn't huge). If you know the market for a title you can spot anomalous prices and jump. Like many, I have also bought books that went over market but I chased them anyway only to take a loss when selling. Auctions are one reflection of the market, but should not be assumed to be a perfect one.

Does'nt bother me in the least what a dealer charges for a book, its his book. I show my support to dealers with my dollars.Plenty of good guys out there, most on these boards. I see pricing that seems to me to be koo koo I keep walking. I wouldn't even ask to negotiate, most of the time all you get is a whiney song and dance opera. No thanks, I like to enjoy my hobby.

it doesn't bother me one bit. Another insight: I often sell books to people that i under price on purpose as to sell more quickly and see the same books for sale soon after. As long as i make a fair profit it doesn't bother me to see those same books for sale at a mark up. I sometimes sell high grade books raw that get slabbed and priced at 500% mark ups. This also is not something that bothers me considering that the buyer is going through the work of slabbing and re-selling. GPA is a great tool and useful as a guide for people buying cgc books, but it's not the end all be all. People can ask whatever they want. If they get 200% higher than the last gpa for something they sell then congrats to them. No one is twisting the arm of the buyer and it's on them to decide what they are willing to pay. Crazy priced books pretty much sit anyway. I know i sometimes put what i consider a high asking price on something, but it's usually something that i kind of want to keep. I wouldn't be too upset if it got the asking price though. I have a couple of Last Avengers Pages that i love and they have sat in my store for a while overpriced and i'm totally ok with it.

I usually mumble under my breath and move along.

This is how I feel when someone wins a book on the mycomicshop auctions, the consigns the book through them right afterwards. Makes me wish I had more money now!

It usually doesn't bother me much if someone wants to ask a crazy price on eBay. Good luck to them.

What bothers me is when someone on the forum asks ridiculous prices (at least $1,000 over GPA) even when exact same books are selling on the forum for much less in similar grades.

They can ask any price they want but I can also tell them they are crazy for what they are asking.

:P