• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JUST SAW SPIDER-MAN 2!

113 posts in this topic

I JUST GoT BACK FROM SPIDERMAN 2!!!!

The movie was fantastic!

I LOVED IT!

And this is coming from someone who wasn't 100% happy with Spiderman Part 1

THIS MOVIE.....i have no words.

I can't remember ever being this giddy during a movie.

IT WAS BRILLIIANT!!!!

ABSOLUTLEY FRIGGEN BRILLAINT!!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

Ditto!

I'm still trying to get my jaw off of the floor on so many levels!

Wow! This flick makes me proud to be a Spidey Fan!

I'll have to wait and let it digest a bit before I give it my final rating,

because right now I want to label it as the best comic book movie I've ever seen

and I don't want to shadow the others by a pumped-up freshout of the theatre vote.

I'M SHOCKED! (in a great way) What an awesome flick!

That's is about all I can say without giving it away! cloud9.gif

SPOILER WARNING-

I could not believe Spidey loses a leg at the end while fighting Doc Ock....I was very surprised.

27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gifdevil.gifnews.gifsign-funnypost.gif

You are evil!

I don't know whether to laugh at this ridiculous spoiler

or throw tomatoes at it for leading astray and baking peoples noodles!

So I'll do both! 27_laughing.gifboo.gif

i felt cheated, confused.gif i guess i had too many high expectations for the movie. i liked it, it was definitely better than the first one, but like i said i felt cheated. confused-smiley-013.gif also what's up with him showing everybody who he is? foreheadslap.gif

I agree with Supa'. I wasn't really disappointed, since I thought it was better in many ways than Spidey 1, but it didn't blow me away. I wish the -script had been tighter and less corny. He's trying to hold up an entire wall at the end and they're taking the time to say "hi, how are ya?" to one another... Too ridiculous.

My other main problems were:

Incredibly bad dialogue for MJ and Harry Osborne. It almost seemed as if entire scenes or parts of conversation were missing. Choppy, trite, and/or cartoonish lines...it made both characters appear more two-dimensional than they deserve.

Cheesy scenes and some odd tongue-in-cheek musical choices. Everyone in my theatre laughed AT the movie when the subway crowd passes Spider-Man over their heads after he's saved everyone. It just didn't work. The film got a similar reaction for "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head."

The repetition of plotlines and effects from Spidey #1. The origin of the villain, the love triangle (with a new "rival" (Jameson) who is introduced suddenly and without investment), and the web-slinging scenes among the skyscrapers felt hackneyed.

On the PLUS side:

Nice performance from Molina.

Good work portraying Spidey's identity conflict. (although providing NO reason for his loss of powers seemed odd. Was it all psychological?)

Decent introduction of possible future villains (John Jameson, Dr. Curt Conners, Harry Osborne Jr. - even Doc Ock isn't killed off for sure...)

Humorous scenes like the elevator encounter and the pizza delivery.

Overall I'd say 2 1/2 stars out of 4. Enjoyable, but didn't compel me like X-2 did (which I think presents the audience with a more interesting set of conflicts, mostly due to the excellent performances from McKellen, Stewart, and Jackman).

Dan

You may have missed why they laughed. I saw it with a very mixed crowd that laughed many times and applauded at the end. How could someone feel cheated by this movie? I mean, it is a movie about a superhero......or do you forget that sometimes?? You were expecting "Out of Africa"??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I thought the scene with the falling wall was fine."Its kinda heavy." 27_laughing.gif

The CGI is phenomenal, the villain is superb, and it manages originality in some very surprising ways. Sometimes I think people just need to have the "avant garde" opinion.....

I think I got why they laughed - there were lots of simultaneous groans as well...

Actually I didn't feel cheated by this movie at all. I just thought some of the writing was poor and too many of the scenes were embarrassingly cheesy.

I'm also someone who grades every movie I see on the same overall scale. The subject matter doesn't matter to me. I want good direction, good writing, and good acting. Spidey 2 gets mixed reviews on all counts from me, but STILL a very fun action movie that I enjoyed!

Dan

He's trying to hold up an entire wall at the end and they're taking the time to say "hi, how are ya?" to one another... Too ridiculous.

Might be ridiculous, but its also very Spider-Man. I thought it was perfect.

He's trying to hold up an entire wall at the end and they're taking the time to say "hi, how are ya?" to one another... Too ridiculous.

Might be ridiculous, but its also very Spider-Man. I thought it was perfect.

I felt the same way. Movie had alot of cheesy/corny stuff....but isn't that Spidey to a tee? I thought Raimi did a great job keeping true to the spirit of the old school Spidey in both movies.

also what's up with him showing everybody who he is? foreheadslap.gif

I agree that sucked. I like the rest of the movie. I thought Molina did a great job as Doc Ock. I'd give it an 8/10 on the BOC popcorn scale. popcorn.gif

Trying to save my 1,000th post for a real doozy, but SM2 while good, disappointed me deeply.

1) This garbage about "unmasking" of Spidey. How is this going to take effect for the anticipated Spidey 3? No one has touched on this on any Board. Yet.

2) Too much MJ/Parker just can't get to it....right out of "Love Story" - I thought this was supposed to be a Superhero movie, not some teenage Romance Novel you see at the Supermarkets;

3) Cheesy and poorly done sub-plots and too much fake drama - Aunt May happens to be taken by Doc Ock while at bank - then MJ taken later - the old "take a hostage/bondage themes" from days past comics getting overdone;

4) JJJ's role was not as powerful this time around - it was alomst like "now that his character was established in SM1, we can concentrate on other things". Seen this a lot w/ sequels, and this disappointed me too.

5) The Harry Osborn character just does not do it for me. Forced method acting to say the least. Weak and cheesy/predictable way to set up Hobgoblin to carry out Green Goblin's revenge???

There were a lot of god things about SM-2, particularly Doc Ock - They did a fantastic job with him. As much as I liked the Doc Ock character, I have a hard time respecting movies where the villain "steals the show" like the Joker did in Batman( Jack Nicholson). That is a sign of other major weaknesses in the movie.

But the nagging thing that has yet to be addressed: what in hades were they thinking with this business about "unmasking" Spider-Man? How cheesy and tacky is that going to be for SM-3??? I guess no one will think about that until they start pre-production of SM-3. Part of being Spider-Man in the earlier Issues they wanted to portray is the fact that Spidey tried HARD to keep his ID a secret - most, not all, superheores do this. The major flaw that keeps this sequel from being the greatest sequel of all-time IMO( nothong can ever overtake Godfather 2 but this one COULD have ranked right up there).

Yes my expectations were very high and it shows at times. Most everyone is giddily happy about SM-2 and maybe that is good in itself. My daughters saw it with me and they both LOVED it and had a great time. So for entertainment value, SM-2 was a huge success. To the purist of the Silver Age dinosaur in me, I was extremely disappointed that last 20 minutes of this movie. What were they thinking and let;s see how they get out of this major plot foil for SM-3!!!!!

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Greatest comic book movie ever................period. I thought the fight scenes were fantastic,the CGI top notch,and the GG/Harry sub-plot great.(AVENGE ME!).....I think it was the best $10.25 I ever spent..........even with a screaming baby sitting right behind me............lol....and what is with all the screaming babies in movie theaters these days?..........sheesh....at least the dad had the decency to move the brat to the front row.........now one question: is the next big book gonna be ASM #136 or #238?...... tongue.gif

Cal - - theres too much Petey cause thats what sold the public in the first one. Not enuff civilians wanna see a cardboard superhero action film w/o all the drama and dialogue and meaningful portent (when done right it adds to the superheroics. THIS is why all the reviewers have loved the movie: it didnt inslut their intelligence with just a lot of CG effects for no purpose.

Th eunmasking doesnt bother me. Just a direction theyve taken for th emovie. Face it, there are only gonna be a handful of these spanning 10 years in real (our) time. There wont be 40 years of movies so keeping the secret identity between characters who all are gonna know sooner or later i sno big deal to write around for 2 more films! Harry HAS to know for his film, MJ HAS to know to have their relationship com efull circle. Aunt May too at some point. The people on the subway wont be heard from again.... or they will in a subplot way perhaps, but again, as long as its written well-- big deal!!

JJs just s sideshow. Until he hires a bad guy, hes just the comedy angle!!! And I laughed at almost all of his jabs!