• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you had $400 to spend on comics what would you buy?

51 posts in this topic

If I was going to spend it all on one key...

I'd try to get a higher grade one at that price point like Iron Man #1 (8.0 could be had for your $$$)

or an Iron Man and Sub-Mariner in 9.4 could be had...

Fantastic Four #26, while not a key is one of my favorite covers... might be able to find an 8.0 in that one...

It may be unpopular but I would save the money to purchase a bigger key later .... I too am on a tight budget for comic spending so I am saving for those bigger key books. I would rather put away the $400 to add to until I can get that Avengers 4 or FF5. $400 would put a good dent in saving for them. Otherwise I may never have the "extra" cash to get those signature line books.

Definitely not as fun in the short term but it is a way to stay focused on what you really want and get keys that will remain in your collection for many years to come. (thumbs u

.... or I would by the lower grade DD1 as suggested :)

For myself, I'd buy the highest graded Silver Surfer #1 for $400. Always wanted a really nice presenting copy to keep in my permanent collection.

I hear ya about taking a windfall and buying a book you don't normally get the chance to buy. That's what I try to do.

If you are thinking of a "good investment" I would suggest the nicest single book in high grade you can lay your hands on. There are multiple choices you could make, so you can adjust according to your tastes

To bet a key issue, to get high grade I can think of more bronze books than silver:

All the suggestions should be doable at 9.4 or better

Someone has already mentioned Hero for Hire 1

Iron Fist 1 & 14

Defenders 1 & 10

Submariner 1 9.4 still falls in that range

Phantom Stranger 1

Werewolf by Night 1

Tomb of Dracula 1 & 10

Superman 233

Just some ideas. I could research and look up for hours.

One of my personal 'rules' when 'investing' in collectibles, is to buy what you know. It is the only logical way to make money; aside from true speculation. That being said, what do you like? Super hero, horror, key issues, first issues, obscurities? Start there and learn all you can about what you wish to buy BEFORE buying it. If you don't have an Overstreet Price Guide or a subscription to GPA (if you are buying 'slabbed' books) start there. The secret to making money in anything is to 'invest in what you know.' Enough said.

Welcome to the hobby.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I have been collecting for 20 years, not new and I am not looking for an investment book. I am looking for a cool book(s) for my collection. I don't think people are reading the first post. I am not asking people to tell me what to buy, I am asking people what comic(s) they would buy if they were just handed $400 to treat themselves. Obviously I will buy something I like not what people are telling me to buy. I love all the opinions but that is not the point of the thread nor what I asked. I simply want to know what would you buy?

flaming carrot original art by bob burden or a reid fleming worlds toughest milkman original art by david boswell. a nice good page, earlier the better.

I have been collecting for 20 years, not new and I am not looking for an investment book. I am looking for a cool book(s) for my collection. I don't think people are reading the first post. I am not asking people to tell me what to buy, I am asking people what comic(s) they would buy if they were just handed $400 to treat themselves. Obviously I will buy something I like not what people are telling me to buy. I love all the opinions but that is not the point of the thread nor what I asked. I simply want to know what would you buy?

I prefer high grade slabbed in 9.2 or higher. That being said, on $400 based on those parameters you would be looking at late silver or bronze. I could tell you where I believe deals lie, but on only $400 I would have a very hard time based on my preference of high grade books. That is why choose to answer the way I did.

Keep in mind, I never look at the post count or year of registration when answering these kinds of questions, because there are plenty of cross collectors on these boards.

Personally, I would consider a high grade horror key issue from the bronze age, that is only my opinion...

'mint'

I just had a guy email me looking for a Hockey Card that I had. I sold it to him for $450 minus paypal fees so roughly I have a bonus of $425 to waste on a comic(s). Considering a cool older key book or maybe 2-3 cool books. Also considering trying to get an Ultimate Spiderman #1 white variant as I always regret selling the one I had.

So my question is if you were just sent $425 to waste on a comic(s) what would you buy?

I would buy a Phantom Lady if I could find one for that price, or a Planet, Just love Matt Baker covers and the Planet covers.