• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stupid Idea or Ingenious Marking Ploy?

13 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get the word out about my website "Lyria Comic Exchange - The Market" and I thought about offering 99 cents to anyone who's book is listed on eBay and also showing up on the the charts IF they are willing to put a link about it to my website. That could cover the cost of listing the book and help them generate a little excitement knowing that the book is currently hotly debated. Does this break eBay rules? And is this even a good idea? (shrug)

I can't see where it would be against eBay rules (though they do have some silly rules and apply them unevenly at times), but it may end up costing you a lot of money. A buck a listing is a nice payday.

Ebay has some of the dumbest policies around. I'm sure they will put the boots to the auctions if they find out.

These are the same goofs that limit the amount of items a user can sell monthly now based on how many items they previously listed in past months. Why they try to limit their own income is beyond me. Anyways, that is another discussion for another day.

That seems like a hefty price to pay on your side of things also.

eBay has put the smack down in the past on listings that featured links to unaffiliated 3rd party sites - their own Listings Links Policy is a bit vague, but I'd never chance it myself seeing that your listing might end up getting removed:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html

+1, though I wouldn't even say it's that vague.

In general, when listing items on eBay, you can include links that are solely intended to provide additional details about the items. That means links should only be used when that information can't be included in the listing itself. These links include additional images, technical specifications, manufacturer warranties, and other information that can help buyers make an informed purchasing decision. Other links that point to a third-party provider's website are also allowed, such as image hosting sites and auction template sites.

eBay doesn't allow links to non-eBay sites or content where other items are offered for sale.

I would answer your question if I could understand it.

I have a website that tracks most watched/bids/expensive books listed on eBay.

If a seller has a book he or she wants to sell on eBay, i.e. a New Mutants #98, and notices that several New Mutants #98 are listed on my website under most watched/bids/expensive, than if they include a link to my website saying something to the affect of "this book is hot as seen on Lyria's - The Market" and than notifies me of said link, I would pay them 99 cents.

Is that more clear? (shrug)

I would answer your question if I could understand it.

I have a website that tracks most watched/bids/expensive books listed on eBay.

If a seller has a book he or she wants to sell on eBay, i.e. a New Mutants #98, and notices that several New Mutants #98 are listed on my website under most watched/bids/expensive, than if they include a link to my website saying something to the affect of "this book is hot as seen on Lyria's - The Market" and than notifies me of said link, I would pay them 99 cents.

Is that more clear? (shrug)

A little better, and thank you.

Sounds like a good idea to me. As others said, paying $1 a pop for a one week link is expensive. I'd adjust that down.

And, though linking is against ebay rules, and easily detectable, mentioning your site(without a hotlink) won't get noticed unless:

1) someone tips off ebay to it (like me, so I'll expect some HUSH money)

2) Someone from ebay actually reads an auction listing and does something about it :roflmao:

I've had several artists mention my website i their ads(with actually linking to it) and never once had a problem.