• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the maximum amount you are willing to pay for a CGC comic book?

What is the maximum amount you WILL spend on a CGC comic book?  

414 members have voted

1. 1. What is the maximum amount you WILL spend on a CGC comic book?

37 posts in this topic

My guess is that if you had of bought that hulk 1 9.2 you would have made a very wise choice (you state you are glad you didnt but i find that hard to believe any comic collector could make that statement and mean it today, relative to what has happened to values of hulk 1s) Hg hulks are incredibly rare and demand WAY exceeds supply as evidenced by the double digit value increases the book has experienced over the past decade.

Hello GATOR,

Your last sentence is exactly why I didn't. Comic books are experiencing (in my opinion) a very speculative upward trend price movement. Most antique/collectible experts are very cautious on this right now. The prices are also moving way too fast. This has me playing a very cautious role whenever I buy a book. I prefer high grade books (obviously); but I do not think this trend will last.

If within another few years or so the current prices continue to have solid footing; I will gladly move my benchmark past the $2,000 a book rule. It will be interesting to see what that Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 does; price wise. That being said, I currently have no regrets in my decision not to buy.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

i have been buying and selling vintage comics for 30 years and I have yet to see high demand (blue chip) hg sa/ga go down in value in the long term ( any hobby has price swings based on a myriad of factors of course)

I have never been offered a cgc 9.2 hulk 1 but I would hazard a guess and say I would likely be only to happy to pay 100k today for that copy (probably much more actually) So, depending on when and what you were offered it for, I would guess you missed out on a nice upswing. I would also go out on a limb and say that the trend on that book over the next 10+ years will follow the last 20+....higher and higher (thumbs u

That said one should never pay more for a book than

1) they are comfortable with

2) they are not willing lose!

Good luck! Go with your collecting heart :foryou:

My guess is that if you had of bought that hulk 1 9.2 you would have made a very wise choice (you state you are glad you didnt but i find that hard to believe any comic collector could make that statement and mean it today, relative to what has happened to values of hulk 1s) Hg hulks are incredibly rare and demand WAY exceeds supply as evidenced by the double digit value increases the book has experienced over the past decade.

Hello GATOR,

Your last sentence is exactly why I didn't. Comic books are experiencing (in my opinion) a very speculative upward trend price movement. Most antique/collectible experts are very cautious on this right now. The prices are also moving way too fast. This has me playing a very cautious role whenever I buy a book. I prefer high grade books (obviously); but I do not think this trend will last.

If within another few years or so the current prices continue to have solid footing; I will gladly move my benchmark past the $2,000 a book rule. It will be interesting to see what that Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 does; price wise. That being said, I currently have no regrets in my decision not to buy.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

i have been buying and selling vintage comics for 30 years and I have yet to see high demand (blue chip) hg sa/ga go down in value in the long term ( any hobby has price swings based on a myriad of factors of course)

I have never been offered a cgc 9.2 hulk 1 but I would hazard a guess and say I would likely be only to happy to pay 100k today for that copy (probably much more actually) So, depending on when and what you were offered it for, I would guess you missed out on a nice upswing. I would also go out on a limb and say that the trend on that book over the next 10+ years will follow the last 20+....higher and higher (thumbs u

That said one should never pay more for a book than

1) they are comfortable with

2) they are not willing lose!

Good luck! Go with your collecting heart :foryou:

Hey Gator,

Ironically, I buy most of my books that are not bought at auction (even those under $2,000) on payment plan. I try to DELAY instant gratification as much as possible. Reason being is if I pay in full for an item (even one at that cost); I will go out and want another item of equal value the next day...and buy it. I do this at auction all the time; as I love antiques and many other collectibles as well.

As to the Hulk #1; you are correct in that I would have technically speaking; made money by buying the book years ago when I had the chance (even though I would have never sold the book). I don't regret my decision as prices in my opinion (and many others) have been moving very rapidly. Now will a 'key' book like Hulk #1 lose a lot of value; it is doubtful, but at the end of the day it comes down to the fact that if I would pay that amount for a comic book I would be a hypocrite, especially given the views I have on the current state of the collectibles market. I just don't know if I would be 'comfortable' doing that. I also don't know if I would tell anyone if I did. Going from $2,000 a book to $75,000+ a book is a major step and I don't know if I will ever be there.

In conclusion, I like to collect items with 'caps' on the amount I will pay for something. For instance, on coins I have a set amount I will pay per coin. Same with currency. The only two categories in which I expand my 'max paid for an item' are in the antiques and art realms. These areas are too unpredictable to put a price 'cap' in place.

Just my 'two cents.'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

What I could pay and what I would pay are two different questions.

I'd pay millions for a comic book if I had it to spend.

Would you? I would think a further analysis would be required in my opinion. I however, would never pay that much for a comic book regardless. I can afford to pay a lot more than I do now and I still refuse to pay more than $2,000 a book. Ironically, as I have stated earlier, I have no problem paying a large amount of money for an antique bottle or a small glass marble. It is interesting how individuals view the true 'worth' of something. It is something no price guide could ever guage. That my friend, is one the reasons why most price guides are almost useless.

Just an opinion.

'mint'

Would you? I would think a further analysis would be required in my opinion. I however, would never pay that much for a comic book regardless. I can afford to pay a lot more than I do now and I still refuse to pay more than $2,000 a book. Ironically, as I have stated earlier, I have no problem paying a large amount of money for an antique bottle or a small glass marble. It is interesting how individuals view the true 'worth' of something. It is something no price guide could ever guage. That my friend, is one the reasons why most price guides are almost useless.

Just an opinion.

'mint'

Then why on earth did you start this thread in the first place? Did you think you would find more people that would pay less than they do? I'm sure you are surprised that so many people would spend over 3K on a book,but really why would you be.I mean you are asking people who are in my opinion the high rollers in comics.Maybe your question would be more to your liking if you went to another forum,maybe ComicCollectorLive for example.

Just an opinion.

'mint'

Then why on earth did you start this thread in the first place? Did you think you would find more people that would pay less than they do? I'm sure you are surprised that so many people would spend over 3K on a book,but really why would you be.I mean you are asking people who are in my opinion the high rollers in comics.Maybe your question would be more to your liking if you went to another forum,maybe ComicCollectorLive for example.

Actually, I would beg to disagree on this statement: 'I mean you are asking people who are in my opinion the high rollers in comics.'

There are a lot of people who spend a lot of money in certain areas that wish to remain private. Don't believe me, what antique or collectibles have I spent the most on? It is possible if you live in my area at one time you heard the result of this auction mentioned in the local newspaper. Ironically, no one can answer this question. Privacy is a major concern and not everyone is willing to answer. This is why the question is worded: 'What is the maximum you are WILLING to pay...?' Note that the term implying 'financial ability' never once entered the equation; mainly out of respect for how the question was worded.

That being said, let's reverse the question you just asked; why did you respond? This is a poll. You never had to respond to it, you chose to; and I mean that with all due respect.

By the way, the point of the poll was to determine if I should consider raising my own $2,000 benchmark; based on the responses received. If you must know, I RESPECT certain members of this forum and wanted their opinion. It is that simple. Not one person here was forced to answer by any means.

GATOR gave me some very valuable insight and I greatly appreciate his response. That alone was worth the question being asked.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Just an opinion.

'mint'

If I had hundred of millions of dollars, yes I'd pay a few million for the usual GA mega-keys.

It would be worth it to me to own a piece of significant cultural history. I'd take the task of preserving it to the utmost.

Plus they seem to be a solid investment to say the least. They've done better than the stock market, that's for sure.

I don't have this sort of money though.

Everyone has their interests and limits.

Oh...and Hulk 1 isn't going anywhere but up baby.

This is your opinion. Your opinion is not rooted in 'factual' analysis; it is rooted in past performance. Please note my signature line. I would suggest you read the full article. It was called the 'MYTH OF THE GUARANTEED COLLECTIBLE' and was written by Harry Rinker; a foremost pioneer and expert in the area of antiques and collectibles. This is discussed within this same article.This and all his articles are avialble on his website and Worth Point.

A day of reckoning will be coming to the golden and silver age comic book markets. When that happens and whether or not Hulk #1 will be $250,000 book at that time, I do not know. When the age of the average collector continues to approach beyond fifty, that is a major warning sign. Today at work a guy dressed up as Thor. I proceeded to mention to him how much I like Journey into Mystery #83 and told him how much of a fan I am of comic books. He looked at me odd and said, 'Uh, I just like the movies, I have no desire to collect or read the comic books.' This same individual wears a Captain America shirt to work every week and is in his twenties. It worries me that the younger generation (I am thirty five by the way) does not associate super heroes with comic books any more.

In conclusion, your statement is incorrect because you are assuming that the past will equate to the future. Prices will not continually rise on comic books. If you think that comic books are a better investment than the stock market, I would strongly suggest you change your investment strategy. When you say 'They have done better than the stock market' are you referring to vintage comic books as a whole? That is incorrect, as the 'bronze age' market alone would sink most investment returns. As would a lot of late silver age comic books. I also hope you have a written plan of investment complete with a working plan to sell; and an analysis of what stated time is going to best to get out of the market while maximizing your highest possible return. Ironically of all those who tell me that they are 'investing' in comic books (or ironically any antique or collectible), few can show me a written calculated plan that was formulated long before they bought their first book...or other collectible in this regard.

Respectfully,

'mint'

PS: Direct from my signature line:

Question: "I was wondering how you deal with collectors and speculators who truly believe that the items they are buying now are going to be worth a lot of money in the future...?"

ANSWER: "The safest approach is to avoid discussing the topic of future collectability with these individuals: first, they know more than anyone else; second, they are deaf to any opinion that does not agree with their own; third, they are misguided optimists, assuming past practice could not possibly apply in their case."

-Harry Rinker; 'The Myth of the Guaranteed Collectible'

(originally posted on WorthPoint and Harry Rinker's own website)

Of course it's "rooted in past performance." That's the nature of speculation. The dollar can become suddenly worthless as well. Then what? Gold? Same.

Worth is subjective to the individual. A guy who is dying of thirst would trade a whole stack of gold for a cup of water. Why? Because the water has suddenly became more valuable to the dying person than "worthless" gold.

If I had limitless money then I'd suffer very little for spending a million on a comic book. What price can you really place on enjoyment, or the fact that you own a historic piece of culture?

When I said "mega GA keys" I thought I was being clear on which books I meant. Action 1, Detective 27, Superman 1, Batman 1...

If you look at the history of these books it can easily be said they are a "safe" investment.

Since you seem to enjoy semantic excercises...let me state that I realize nothing is a SURE THING. Yeah the bottom could fall out. So what? What does that have to do with how much money I'm willing to spend?

People spend millions on collectible cars...it's all a matter of what you enjoy.

...and only an insufficiently_thoughtful_person wouldn't diversify investments. I certainly don't advocate comic collecting as the primary means by which to secure an enjoyable retirement.

I think you're trying to make this argument bigger than what it is in some attempt to make yourself feel superior...or make other people out to be insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

Oh...and Hulk 1 isn't going anywhere but up baby.

This is your opinion. Your opinion is not rooted in 'factual' analysis; it is rooted in past performance. Please note my signature line. I would suggest you read the full article. It was called the 'MYTH OF THE GUARANTEED COLLECTIBLE' and was written by Harry Rinker; a foremost pioneer and expert in the area of antiques and collectibles. This is discussed within this same article.This and all his articles are avialble on his website and Worth Point.

A day of reckoning will be coming to the golden and silver age comic book markets. When that happens and whether or not Hulk #1 will be $250,000 book at that time, I do not know. When the age of the average collector continues to approach beyond fifty, that is a major warning sign. Today at work a guy dressed up as Thor. I proceeded to mention to him how much I like Journey into Mystery #83 and told him how much of a fan I am of comic books. He looked at me odd and said, 'Uh, I just like the movies, I have no desire to collect or read the comic books.' This same individual wears a Captain America shirt to work every week and is in his twenties. It worries me that the younger generation (I am thirty five by the way) does not associate super heroes with comic books any more.

In conclusion, your statement is incorrect because you are assuming that the past will equate to the future. Prices will not continually rise on comic books. If you think that comic books are a better investment than the stock market, I would strongly suggest you change your investment strategy. When you say 'They have done better than the stock market' are you referring to vintage comic books as a whole? That is incorrect, as the 'bronze age' market alone would sink most investment returns. As would a lot of late silver age comic books. I also hope you have a written plan of investment complete with a working plan to sell; and an analysis of what stated time is going to best to get out of the market while maximizing your highest possible return. Ironically of all those who tell me that they are 'investing' in comic books (or ironically any antique or collectible), few can show me a written calculated plan that was formulated long before they bought their first book...or other collectible in this regard.

Respectfully,

'mint'

PS: Direct from my signature line:

Question: "I was wondering how you deal with collectors and speculators who truly believe that the items they are buying now are going to be worth a lot of money in the future...?"

ANSWER: "The safest approach is to avoid discussing the topic of future collectability with these individuals: first, they know more than anyone else; second, they are deaf to any opinion that does not agree with their own; third, they are misguided optimists, assuming past practice could not possibly apply in their case."

-Harry Rinker; 'The Myth of the Guaranteed Collectible'

(originally posted on WorthPoint and Harry Rinker's own website)

I bet you're a hoot at parties,just a barrel full of laughs. :baiting:

very good and valid points being made

... one has to approach comic book collecting (or any hobby, really) with an "end" in mind (or at least pay attention to the journey)...there is absolutely no guarantee that any collectible field will produce results that have historically been realized... but that in itself is a very broad statement... in the 1980's and into the early 1990's, the baseball card market was on a double digit year consecutive increase in prices...at the time, I am sure there were folks that thought that trend would continue... however, a savy collector could see the signs that were out there, and divise an exit strategy that would have resulted in "positive" gains (if one was collecting for such reason) at virtually any price point they entered into the hobby (so long as it was a "blue" chip type collectible purchased)

to submerge oneself into a market, and study, and analyze and recognize trends, that is where a collector can differentiate themselves from the "average" collector, and be a trusted advisor as to the best "guess" at where trends are heading (forecasting, if you will)

now, if one wants to cap expenditures at $X, that is fantastic... my philosophy has always been to NEVER purchase collectibles via a debt structure avenue (i.e. credit cards, equity loans, etc) but to ONLY purchase with disposable income (and by disposable, I mean the ability to lose 100% of the value, at any given point, and it not have any affect on lifestyle)...

hindsight is always 20/20...it is the forward collector, willing to accept a comfortable level of risk, that has potential for the best return...that said, if you are enjoying the hobby, then it really is a "no lose"situation no matter where prices go (thumbs u

very good and valid points being made

... one has to approach comic book collecting (or any hobby, really) with an "end" in mind (or at least pay attention to the journey)...there is absolutely no guarantee that any collectible field will produce results that have historically been realized... but that in itself is a very broad statement... in the 1980's and into the early 1990's, the baseball card market was on a double digit year consecutive increase in prices...at the time, I am sure there were folks that thought that trend would continue... however, a savy collector could see the signs that were out there, and divise an exit strategy that would have resulted in "positive" gains (if one was collecting for such reason) at virtually any price point they entered into the hobby (so long as it was a "blue" chip type collectible purchased)

to submerge oneself into a market, and study, and analyze and recognize trends, that is where a collector can differentiate themselves from the "average" collector, and be a trusted advisor as to the best "guess" at where trends are heading (forecasting, if you will)

now, if one wants to cap expenditures at $X, that is fantastic... my philosophy has always been to NEVER purchase collectibles via a debt structure avenue (i.e. credit cards, equity loans, etc) but to ONLY purchase with disposable income (and by disposable, I mean the ability to lose 100% of the value, at any given point, and it not have any affect on lifestyle)...

hindsight is always 20/20...it is the forward collector, willing to accept a comfortable level of risk, that has potential for the best return...that said, if you are enjoying the hobby, then it really is a "no lose"situation no matter where prices go (thumbs u

Thank you GATOR for your reply. I was actually going to respond to previous points made, but you summed it up perfectly. I may move my benchmark amount to the $5,000 to $10,000 mark soon (much like I do with currency and antique bottles; which is much more). However, at present time, I feel comfortable at this level. Being knowledgeable across a lot of different antique and collectible categories has taught me that planning and patience are one's best allies. Said another way, much like the 'baseball card analysis' you mentioned above, the good times cannot last forever. That being said, in my opinion, if one is to 'invest', it is also not always wise to continually buy only one kind of collectible (when speaking solely of 'investment potential'); especially if that collectible is experiencing a 'price boom.' I will take my 225% gain in glass collectibles I made any day; thanks to sheer planning and the ability to see a market that was not fully developed and had room to grow. Right now we are in a full 'bull' market and comic books are being bought by a lot of individuals who are only buying for the sheer thought of profit. I fear what may happen to this group should a day of reckoning ever occurr; assuming they have no written plan.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

The most I have paid so far is about $150. My mother told me never to spend more than $1000 however. There is no limit to what I would like to spend though, which is what I would have to cough up to own some the grails I dream of. That holds true because it would be something I would have to resell.

At the point im at now, i'm willing to go only up into the high hundreds range.... more then likely income tax comes in i would definitely considering trying to get an Amazing Spider-man # 1 or something to that nature.

As of now the most i spent would have been on this Amazing Spider-man #300 graded 9.6 at the high price to me for a comic at $399 lol .