• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the maximum amount you are willing to pay for a CGC comic book?

What is the maximum amount you WILL spend on a CGC comic book?  

414 members have voted

1. 1. What is the maximum amount you WILL spend on a CGC comic book?

37 posts in this topic

Since I have entered the comic collecting hobby; much like other collecting fields I am involved in; there is a maximum amount I am willing to pay for a CGC graded comic book. Why I ponder whether or not I should buy a Hulk 1 in high grade; I often wonder if other collectors have a maximum amount they are willing to spend? As of right now I have yet to pay more than $2000 for one comic book. This is significantly LESS than what I am willing to spend on other items I collect. I started this poll to gauge what other collectors are willing to spend on one book.

Respectfully,

'mint'

PS Thank you taking the time to take the poll!

I have paid over 3K for books,so I voted the max.

and me. (thumbs u

I think that you should have had higher values than $3001 in the poll

I would agree. However, the poll uses what I call my 'magic cut off' number. Only certain collecting fields (i.e. coins, currency, antiques, etc.) am I comfortable paying more than $3000 for an item. In case anyone is wondering, I answered up to $2000. Now if I buy a high grade Hulk 1 (which I have been contemplating) this poll will be 'blown out if the water.'

Still, I have yet to spend more than $2000 for a book, I do however have other collectibles that 'blow that number out if the water and beyond!' I was just was curious as to other forum members thoughts because I am soon planning to 'cross' my 'magic number' of $3000! Once that happens there is no going back.

Respectfully,

'mint'

and me. (thumbs u

I would agree. However, the poll uses what I call my 'magic cut off' number. Only certain collecting fields (i.e. coins, currency, antiques, etc.) am I comfortable paying more than $3000 for an item. In case anyone is wondering, I answered up to $2000. Now if I buy a high grade Hulk 1 (which I have been contemplating) this poll will be 'blown out if the water.'

Still, I have yet to spend more than $2000 for a book, I do however have other collectibles that 'blow that number out if the water and beyond!' I was just was curious as to other forum members thoughts because I am soon planning to 'cross' my 'magic number' of $3000! Once that happens there is no going back.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Just out of interest what else is it that you collect that your willing to spend a much higher amount on? In terms of how much you spend on a cgc comic is more determined now by the comic. Some comics are just getting to a point where if you want that particular book you have to pay the price or go without.

I voted highest as would be willing to pay highly for the right key SA or GA book

and me. (thumbs u

Respectfully,

'mint'

Just out of interest what else is it that you collect that your willing to spend a much higher amount on? In terms of how much you spend on a cgc comic is more determined now by the comic. Some comics are just getting to a point where if you want that particular book you have to pay the price or go without.

I voted highest as would be willing to pay highly for the right key SA or GA book

I am a major collector, dealer, and investor of all kinds of antiques and collectibles. I have coins and currency that I have paid over $10,000 each. I also have many antiques that are valued high, as well as a lot of vintage art glass, contemporary art, classic art, furniture, oddities, antique bottles, signed first edition books, and more. I do NOT collect any kind of 'fad' based item, no stamps (don't like things that can be licked by strange people), no sports cards (have no interest in sports), or any kind of collectible card game (too new and speculative for my blood).

I am a 'picker' at heart and before I buy any comic book, I do a lot of hardcore price analysis by researching both GPA and previous auctions. Most people who respond to my 'want to buy ads' will tell you I am no 'push over.'

That being said, I see a lot books that sell for a 9.4 price when the book is only graded a 9.2. Deals can be had if you are patient. This is happening because the buyers are over-paying. Personally, I do not like all the negative 'threads' about how the market is coming to an end; when evidence shows that it is stronger than ever.

Respectfully,

'mint'

and me. (thumbs u

Respectfully,

'mint'

I am a major collector, dealer, and investor of all kinds of antiques and collectibles. I have coins and currency that I have paid over $10,000 each. I also have many antiques that are valued high, as well as a lot of vintage art glass, contemporary art, classic art, furniture, oddities, antique bottles, signed first edition books, and more. I do NOT collect any kind of 'fad' based item, no stamps (don't like things that can be licked by strange people), no sports cards (have no interest in sports), or any kind of collectible card game (too new and speculative for my blood).

I am a 'picker' at heart and before I buy any comic book, I do a lot of hardcore price analysis by researching both GPA and previous auctions. Most people who respond to my 'want to buy ads' will tell you I am no 'push over.'

That being said, I see a lot books that sell for a 9.4 price when the book is only graded a 9.2. Deals can be had if you are patient. This is happening because the buyers are over-paying. Personally, I do not like all the negative 'threads' about how the market is coming to an end; when evidence shows that it is stronger than ever.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I would love to see some of you collection. (I love antiques and collectibles and wish I could have a business like it). Any pictures, site?...

and me. (thumbs u

Respectfully,

'mint'

Respectfully,

'mint'

I would love to see some of you collection. (I love antiques and collectibles and wish I could have a business like it). Any pictures, site?...

Sorry for the late reply as I didn't even notice your post. At present time, I do not have a website, but that more than likely will change; especially due to the amount of appraisals and consulting I am starting to do; alone. I am often called in to various estates as a consultant on how best to sell off collections and various antiques and collectibles. I have also worked with a lot of auction houses in this regard as well. I also write a lot of 'guides' and articles; many of which are now quite popular that I was aksed to write a book by my fellow colleagues. How the heck I am going to have time to write this thing is beyond me.

That being said, I am a 'picker' at heart, but do have a full time career in the business world (which is what I am formally educated to do). This means I work part time in the antiques and collectibles business; and I can tell you that part time in this business is forty fours a week. Full time is eighty or above (in my opinion).

I have yet to upload any pictures to these forums, but I have lent out pieces of my collection to be used for various purposes. Most of my truly rare and unique items are in storage (climate controlled or vault); as I keep very little of these kind of items at my house. I have yet to use the 'registry' for any of my certified collections, but do at least; keep scans of the CGC graded comic books I own on file. As for any of my other certified collectibles; I will sometimes photograph and scan certain items before putting them in storage. This is mostly due to the fact that I reholder all certified collectibles that I buy before they go into my personal collection (I can hear the 'groans' of certain forum members as they read this). I am very 'obsessive' when it comes to my personal collections. If I ever sell an item though from my personal collections (which is very RARE); buyers love me for it!

What kind of antiques do you like? I prefer a lot of art glass, rare poison bottles (most are extremely undervalued right now; in my opinion), and American paintings. I also like various 'oddities' and 'rarities' like unique medical devices and contraptions, vintage antique toys, furniture (to a certain extent), a lot of early American woodwork and as stated 'glassware'; and much, much more.

I due tend to dabble in the macabre, but I will NOT touch any kind of item that has to do with the Nazi regime or slavery. I will not advocate it or appraise it either. I do like vintage armory and weapons. I also like anything from the Victorian age. You have to be careful when buying objects from this time frame; as most are reproductions or faked. Even today, companies love to fake this stuff.

Do you have any general interests?

Respectfully yours,

'mint'

Sorry to double post, but this is a different thought pattern than above. I see that most of the responders to this poll have spent more than $3,000 on a single comic book. I actually thought that the opposite would occur; where most responders would have answered in the $500-$1000 range.

This surprises me. Maybe I should start to 'dabble' in more expensive comic books? I know several dealers that would be happy of my decision; should I choose to persue it!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

PS: Please feel free to continue taking the 'poll' if you would like. I just wanted to offer an analysis thus far. I thank everyone who responded!

Sorry to double post, but this is a different thought pattern than above. I see that most of the responders to this poll have spent more than $3,000 on a single comic book. I actually thought that the opposite would occur; where most responders would have answered in the $500-$1000 range.

This surprises me. Maybe I should start to 'dabble' in more expensive comic books? I know several dealers that would be happy of my decision; should I choose to persue it!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

PS: Please feel free to continue taking the 'poll' if you would like. I just wanted to offer an analysis thus far. I thank everyone who responded!

interesting discussion; I think the dominant response in other venues re: comic collecting would be much less (or what you had assumed), but this site/forum features some of the more marquee comic collectors and dealers in this hobby.

I myself indicated that I would spend more the $3,000, I think my most expensive single purchase thus far has been $1100 or so...

I voted $500 - $1000. $700 is the most I have spent on a graded book so far. Right now I have other things ocupying my paychecks(car payments, bills, saving money to buy a house) to put down big bucks on a book, but if the right book at the right price showed itself, then I may be tempted to up my ante.

I (and many other boardies) regularly spend 10,000-150,000+ on single cgc comics

I want to be your friend.....

Ha, ha. To date, $950 was my max purchase and will be for quite some time. I prefer to pick up slabs in the $200-$300 range, but that's where I'm at right now.

I voted $2,000-$3,000, as my single biggest purchase so far was ~$2,700 on a comic.

But then I remembered I bid $3,200 last month on a book I won for much much less, so my vote should have been $3,000+.

Also, if funds were not an issue, there are two pieces of comic book original art for sale now that I would gladly pay the $4,500 asking prices for. Alas--that level is a year or two away for me right now.

I (and many other boardies) regularly spend 10,000-150,000+ on single cgc comics

As long as you are comfortable spending that amount, there is nothing wrong with that. I have spent that amount on certain antiques and other highly regarded collectibles, but I would hesitate before I did it on any one comic book. I came close to buying a Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 once, but I can say for certain that I am glad I didn't.

For some reason I am fine by paying that amount for a historical document, an antique bottle, currency, coins, or other high quality antiques; but I could never pay that much for a toy or a comic book. There is a 'block' there. I have never been able to penetrate it. Therefore, I have 'capped' myself at $2,000 a book until I can slowly break the 'block' I have established. It should be known that after I pay off my current payment plan item, I may be out of comic books on my want list that are under $2,000 each. Then I do not know what I will do...

I have spent $30,000 on a glass bottle, but won't pay $10,000 for a comic book. Funny isn't it?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

My guess is that if you had of bought that hulk 1 9.2 you would have made a very wise choice (you state you are glad you didnt but i find that hard to believe any comic collector could make that statement and mean it today, relative to what has happened to values of hulk 1s) Hg hulks are incredibly rare and demand WAY exceeds supply as evidenced by the double digit value increases the book has experienced over the past decade.

My guess is that if you had of bought that hulk 1 9.2 you would have made a very wise choice (you state you are glad you didnt but i find that hard to believe any comic collector could make that statement and mean it today, relative to what has happened to values of hulk 1s) Hg hulks are incredibly rare and demand WAY exceeds supply as evidenced by the double digit value increases the book has experienced over the past decade.

Hello GATOR,

Your last sentence is exactly why I didn't. Comic books are experiencing (in my opinion) a very speculative upward trend price movement. Most antique/collectible experts are very cautious on this right now. The prices are also moving way too fast. This has me playing a very cautious role whenever I buy a book. I prefer high grade books (obviously); but I do not think this trend will last.

If within another few years or so the current prices continue to have solid footing; I will gladly move my benchmark past the $2,000 a book rule. It will be interesting to see what that Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 does; price wise. That being said, I currently have no regrets in my decision not to buy.

Respectfully yours,

'mint'