• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treat pedigree collection

19 posts in this topic

Can someone educate me on this "Treat Pedigree Collection"? The gist I am getting is that it never worked out and they are considered common now? I am asking because I brought a few comics at the fleas and then two weeks later, I notice some of the backboards glittering at me from the box so I pulled one out for a picture. Nothing big just wanted to know exactly what it is.

2Y4vD.jpg

Btw the comics were #12,13 of midnight massacre. Both blank black cover with gold titles. I grabbed them since I thought it would be cool to get a gold or silver sharpie ghost rider sketch.

12 is ghost rider and blaze. 13 is morbius.

Thank you in advance.

I don't recognize those titles you listed, but they sound like modern books. No recognized pedigree includes post-1980 books since they're so easy to find, so that pedigree is almost certainly a marketing idea the seller had to hawk more books.

I don't recognize those titles you listed, but they sound like modern books. No recognized pedigree includes post-1980 books since they're so easy to find, so that pedigree is almost certainly a marketing idea the seller had to hawk more books.

Winnipeg has books published after 1980.

The rule of thumb for the "Treat Pedigree Collection" is that it is not a treat, a pedigree, nor a collection.

It is a bunch of modern books packaged in the 1992-3 timeframe for sale in Wal-Marts etc. They have goofy serial numbers on them to make them seem limited, but they aren't.

So does Curator, but I think what FF means is that no Pedigree collection includes copies of Morbuis #13

Yeah and they all got left behind when the Pedigree was originally bought out.

lol

A lot of pedigrees do--White Mountain did, Curator did--but usually nobody cares. CGC didn't used to note the post-1980 sections of pedigree collections on the label--have they changed that in the last few years? I'm not sure.

Curator books have post 1980 books as well but I don't think this is factored in at all when the Pedigree designation is considered by CGC.

Can someone educate me on this "Treat Pedigree Collection"? The gist I am getting is that it never worked out and they are considered common now? I am asking because I brought a few comics at the fleas and then two weeks later, I notice some of the backboards glittering at me from the box so I pulled one out for a picture. Nothing big just wanted to know exactly what it is.

2Y4vD.jpg

Btw the comics were #12,13 of midnight massacre. Both blank black cover with gold titles. I grabbed them since I thought it would be cool to get a gold or silver sharpie ghost rider sketch.

12 is ghost rider and blaze. 13 is morbius.

Thank you in advance.

I remember buying a case of bags and boards from Wal-Mart back in the early 90's with that logo.

Curator books have post 1980 books as well but I don't think this is factored in at all when the Pedigree designation is considered by CGC.

They certainly didn't at first--John Hauser has a bunch of 80s Curators and tried to get CGC to put the pedigree label on them, but they wouldn't do it. I can't swear they haven't changed it though.

A lot of pedigrees do--White Mountain did, Curator did--but usually nobody cares. CGC didn't used to note the post-1980 sections of pedigree collections on the label--have they changed that in the last few years? I'm not sure.

Thing #2 is from 1983 and it is noted on the label:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thing-2-CGC-9-8-Marvel-8-83-John-Byrne-WINNIPEG-Pedigree-WP-Fantastic-Four-/250923740931

Yea that's why I asked, I thought I remembered them changing it. Didn't Ritter and Nelson manage to get their 1980s copies of the Golden State collection noted on the label? I know they marketed them as Golden State but can't remember if they got CGC to recognize it. I know CGC didn't recognize the Silver parts of the collection because Dan Greenhalgh never kept a good master list or issued certificates, a mistake he corrected when he sold the Winnipeg collection.

Yea that's why I asked, I thought I remembered them changing it. Didn't Ritter and Nelson manage to get their 1980s copies of the Golden State collection noted on the label? I know they marketed them as Golden State but can't remember if they got CGC to recognize it. I know CGC didn't recognize the Silver parts of the collection because Dan Greenhalgh never kept a good master list or issued certificates, a mistake he corrected when he sold the Winnipeg collection.

I don't think Golden State was every formally recognized by CGC. I've got about a dozen 1970s / 80s slabs from the collection, purchased from Worldwide Comics over the past few years. They've got "Golden State Collection" stickers (similar to the Pacific Coast or White Mountains), but there's no label designation.

I don't think Golden State was every formally recognized by CGC. I've got about a dozen 1970s / 80s slabs from the collection, purchased from Worldwide Comics over the past few years. They've got "Golden State Collection" stickers (similar to the Pacific Coast or White Mountains), but there's no label designation.

The Registry doesnt recognize it as a Pedigree either when you enter a Golden state book.

Thank you everyone! Wish I could rep you all somehow. I knew it was something common and not of value like stated in the OP. But just wanted to double check before I use the books for commission sketches. I grabbed them mainly because they had blank black covers and were .50 cents each.