• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay: If it's too good to be true, it's probably is a scam...

4 posts in this topic

I ran into something this morning that I wanted to share for others benefit.

I found an ASM #14 in 9.4 on eBay ( Link ) this morning.

Book was a couple thousand under GPA and looked super nice with WP. Buyer had 100+ feedback with 100% score. I went to hit the BIN on it and was passed to the "seller requires immediate payment page". It was early so I thought I'd just wait and go through the process and pay for it once I got to work. Who else buys $5k funny books at 5:30 am??

I decided to send the seller a note and ask how long he had the book before I left and I'm glad I did. Before I got to the office, he replied with the following.

My apologies but this is not an item that I have. Either someone has hacked my account or there is a major glitch with eBay. This is the second item that has come up under my account that I have had nothing to do with. I am canceling the auction. Hopefully who ever actually has this comic will figure out what happened and relist.

Once I got into the office, I took a second look at the seller. The guy is all over the internet, using the same id in multiple old car and vintage forums. It was pretty easy to get his real name and address. He does not strike me as someone that was not legit at all. However, I didn't see anything that shows him as having anything to do with comics. Also, I didn't see a single sale of comics in his feedback. I figure the guy is legit and someone hacked his account, re-routed his PayPal and was looking to scam a quick buck.

Buyer beware; if it looks too good, it probably is...

AF #15 sells on eBay for $8k, $6k below GPA by a seller with decent feedback that does not appear to have feedback on comics :sorry: