• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan the Barbarian #1 Club
4 4

305 posts in this topic

I was really only interested in the BWS issues but decided to go for the set so there wouldnt be any holes in the set. Got the first 12 and stopped so now Im going after the rest.

I was really only interested in the BWS issues but decided to go for the set so there wouldnt be any holes in the set. Got the first 12 and stopped so now Im going after the rest.

I read Conan for years and to me it was a great read even after BWS, I think that the rest of the whole title are worth getting as an easy and cheap collection to put together.

I got this book while I was a sophomore in high school and only paid a dime for it. Bought it from a friends brother. I still do not have the complete set. It took me a long time to get the first 100 issues. This was one I always picked up when I found it. I also love the Savage Sword of Conan. I think I am still missing 3 or 4 issues.

I got this book while I was a sophomore in high school and only paid a dime for it. Bought it from a friends brother. I still do not have the complete set. It took me a long time to get the first 100 issues. This was one I always picked up when I found it. I also love the Savage Sword of Conan. I think I am still missing 3 or 4 issues.

My opinion is that the Black and White Savage Sword mags are the better Conan comics. We are talking Conan here. Freed from the Comic Code, the mags had the ability to show a bit more female flesh and the violence was more graphic. The magazine also allowed for higher page counts to a story, giving the writer and artist more to room work to with.

And a LOT of great artists worked on the Conan magazines. With the comic you had the first 24 issues by Smith and then save for one Adams issue, it was Buscema for a very long time. Big John was a talented artist for sure. And if you want to see him at his best, look at his work in the first 30 or so issues of Savage Sword. But the magazine reads like a whose who of artists. Adams, Smith, Buscema, Krenkel, Brunner, Kane,Chaykin, Severin, Kaluta geez the list goes on and on. Then all the great painted covers. Jusko of course. But then also Adams, Norem Larkins - I think even Corben did a cover. I think the entire Marvel bullpen must have asked for chance to work on the title.

I haven't even mentioned how great the stories are. I still remember in vidid detail "A Witch Shall Be Born" and it's crucifixcion cover in issue #5

Last they are overlooked and freaking cheap right now. Selling for way under guide.

Magazines in general tend to be more common, especially in highish grade.

I do like the Savage Tales #1 which is early Conan, 1st in a magazine with a graphic headless cover and of course first Man-Thing. You can pick up a 9.2 for $300.

Ed

Well I finally got a bit time to dig a few Conan #1s out.

I probably have a few more but these are all I could put my hands on.

Conan1.jpg

I would say he is showing off, but I just met a guy with eight CGC 9.8 slabs. I don't know what to do now....life just seems meaningless.

(oh, and he has the original cover art to the first 10 Savage Sword of Conan's....)

(oh, and he has the original cover art to the first 10 Savage Sword of Conan's....)

Well, I know that can't be right, because there are at least 3 different known owners of covers out of the first 10 issues and 4 if my friend who owns/owned one of them hasn't sold it yet, and I doubt any of those 4 is the guy you are talking about (none of them are known to be slab collectors), so add at least one more name to the list... hm

Well, I know that can't be right, because there are at least 3 different known owners of covers out of the first 10 issues and 4 if my friend who owns/owned one of them hasn't sold it yet, and I doubt any of those 4 is the guy you are talking about (none of them are known to be slab collectors), so add at least one more name to the list... hm

I might have heard him wrong on that. I know he has SSC #1 for sure, he might have been talking about some other Conan covers for the rest. This guy is a power-collector. Most impressive collection I've ever seen. I was a little beside myself as he was describing some of his favorite items....