• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really good news for comic sellers, courtesy of the USPS!

7 posts in this topic

I just returned from my local post office, where one of the counter personnel gave me a copy of a USPS news release. In it, the USPS is proposing (still not official) a flat rate Priority Mail Box (actually, its two sizes of box, virtually identical to the two sizes provided currently by the USPS). Basically, regardless of weight, you could send a parcel for the flat rate of $7.70 to any destination in the US. This is great news, considering I just sent a 4lb. Priority Mail package to Cali (from Florida) that cost $12.

It is my understanding that existing Priority Mail rates wouldn't change (with the base rate for packages currently still at $3.95), this would just help out those of us who have to ship heavier packages through multiple regional shipping zones. No word on when the boxes will begin to appear, but the press release calls for at least a two-year trial period to test its viability.

Cool! grin.gif

That isn't good because I can usually stuff my Priority mail boxes with peanuts for under 2 lbs and can get it anywhere (uninsured) for less than 6 bucks

Like I said in my post, the regular Priority Mail rates and boxes aren't going away. Its just that the new Fixed Rate boxes will essentially "cap" what the max will be, provided you use them. Nothing in the press release even hints that the current system, including the current boxes, is going the way of the dinosaur. thumbsup2.gif

That isn't good because I can usually stuff my Priority mail boxes with peanuts for under 2 lbs and can get it anywhere (uninsured) for less than 6 bucks

Like I said in my post, the regular Priority Mail rates and boxes aren't going away. Its just that the new Fixed Rate boxes will essentially "cap" what the max will be, provided you use them. Nothing in the press release even hints that the current system, including the current boxes, is going the way of the dinosaur. thumbsup2.gif

Sounds good to me. With 3 or 4 books going to the same address looks like I could save 2 or 3 bucks in postage. Probably 75 percent of my orders are for 1 or 2 CGC books, so no savings there. But I do get the occasional 3 to 5 book order.

This is good news.

I sell medium size lots sometimes (10-20 books) and that would help when I have to ship from zone 1 to zone 7 or 8.

A 4 to 5 pound package is $9-$13! 893whatthe.gif