• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: What's the most you've ever spent on a comic book?

What's the most you've ever spent on a comic book?  

990 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most you've ever spent on a comic book?

52 posts in this topic

U may have got different results if u had phrased the question as "What's the most you've spent on a comic related collectible?" This would include orig. comic art, paintings, greggy's super-deluxe inflatable Wonder Woman. shocked.gif Multiple copies, of course.

The trip was great. The best pizza in the world, too! Amazing seafood since Taormina is right on the Sicilian coast. And my balcony had a direct view of Mt Etna and on certain nights you could see this amazing red glow rising above it.

Back in the 80's I inheriuted a house (well, myself and 2 siblings). My share was about 40K so I said to myself "Hey! Its an Action 1" and I bought the sucker. Have sold it since, much to my regret as there was no resoration on it. But hey! Its all in the game! lol

"Have sold it since, much to my regret as there was no resoration on it. But hey! Its all in the game! LOL"

The question is though did you get more for it than you paid? If so, then what's to regret?

Welcome back Pov.

Hey Supa! Oh yes. Very thin crust but it holds up very well. While it is the cheapest, Pizza Margarita was my favorite and I soon settled on it many days for lunch (in Sicily you can only get pizza for lunch in a pizza place - regular restaraunts don't fire up the wood stove for pizza until dinner time (not sure why!).

And the Margarita there is different from most I have seen here in the US. Here I see globs of mozarrela and whole basil leaves. There it looks kind of like the topping of a plain cheese pizza: all incorporated into a homogenous mix. VERY sweet flavor - the tomatoes were amazing. Also, it is served whole on a dinner plate and uncut. You get a knife and fork but cutting slices and eating by hand is considered OK as well!

The question is though did you get more for it than you paid? If so, then what's to regret?

I did profit, but I still regret not having it anymore. I mean, even though I mainly collect pre-code horror I am a GA fan and - well - an Action 1? Basically I regret that, unless I win the lottery or make a garbage dump find, I shall never have that book again. I am one of those wierd folk. The very first thing I do before I even examine the cover is smell the book (yes, I am a sniffer! There! I have confessed). Further in the weird: I derive much less satisfaction from reading a reprint than reading the original. The paper quality and the inks of the reprints are different from the originals and I love the books for their page/ink quality almost as much as the art/story. And I also just love the feeling of holding and reading a book from the 30's/40's/50's. There is a quality about it the reprints can never capture. (told you I was a weird one). I read that Action 1 a couple of hundred times without getting bored.

And good Lord, an Action 1. Pov, that is the coolest thing I've heard in awhile.

Hey Joanna! Yes, I have to say it was pretty cool to have that book. When I was a kid in the 50's watching The Adventures Of Superman on TV was my favorite thing. Getting this book was a Holy Grail to me. But tastes change and I did acquire a slew of books in exchange...but I want my Action 1 back! Waaaaa! lol

Just out of interest Pov, where did you keep the book when you had it?

I kept it in a Mylar backed by an acid-free buffered backing board in an acid free box along with all my other comics. Fior some reason, I treated it exactly like any other book in my collection.

And I also just love the feeling of holding and reading a book from the 30's/40's/50's. There is a quality about it the reprints can never capture. (told you I was a weird one).

Not even slightly weird to me! That's exactly how I feel. I just love a real GA book. I love the ads, the filler pieces, the little cartoons, the text pieces -- everything. I love anthology GA books, like Sensation, because you get to read a whole bunch of stories about all sorts of characters -- many of whom never survived the GA.

And yes, it's the feel of the paper, the inks, the experience of reading a book as it was meant to be read when originally published.

I was looking through my books for a thread in the marketplace about bondage (hey, as a Wonder Woman collector, I knew I'd find some. I had to stop looking or I'd use up too much web space). I pulled out a Sensation that looked pretty bad -- had a spine roll and some tears, etc. But inside were snow-white pages. It was incredible. I didn't remember that from reading it before, because I so rarely paid attention to condition. But after being on this forum, I have a new awareness. It was like finding burried treasure, looking at this beat-up book with these gorgeous, supple, snow-white pages. That's what it was like when they were printed. How the pages are supposed to look. That was a really neat discovery for me.

-- Joanna