• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: What's the most you've ever spent on a comic book?

What's the most you've ever spent on a comic book?  

990 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most you've ever spent on a comic book?

52 posts in this topic

You really pinned it, Joanna. Even the ads and the fillers. When they are part of an original release GA book they have a lot more meaning than when they are included in a reprint (if they are at all). There are a couple of books out on the ads in old comic books and they are fun to read, but taken out of context, they become mainly curiosities. When you read these ads in the original books, they take on a real quality - almost as if you were back in 1950 or whenever and checking your pocket change to send away for the Nose Reducer! grin.gif

Yeh, I don't put any prices books in my home anymore since our insurance company is a bit iffy as to how much they'll cover. I have a nice little spot at the bank though smile.gif

Theft or fire is always a problem, even in Iowa tongue.gif

Brian

I'm especially fond of all the WWII stuff. The drive for war bonds, "Keep 'em Flying" notes, all the references to the various metal drives, etc. It always makes me wonder what it might've been like back then. My dad was in WWII. A Navy fighter pilot off an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. We still have his original flight suit (which is really wild because although it appears to be leather, it is really made of soy beans. They'd run out of leather by the time he got in the game). I used to hear him tell his stories, and listen to Mom tell hers, of what it was like on the home front and reading the comics that came out at that time helps me to understand just a little more.

And boy howdy -- how fun would it be to order the stuff they sell in those books? Heck, I never did get any x-ray specs or brine shrimp (I wanted the one in the crown) when I read my silver age books decades later.

-- Joanna

I'm with you and pov on this one. While I love the Archive reprints, the original books are a piece of history, especially the turning point of the 20th century that was WWII.

For the Silver Age, an additional value is the letters column. (now sadly gone from modern books).

Wouldn't it have been fantastic if they had 'invented' the lettercol in the 1940's so we could now read letters from the homefront, or better yet, letters from the GIs waiting for D-Day, etc.?

I was looking through my books for a thread in the marketplace about bondage (hey, as a Wonder Woman collector, I knew I'd find some. I had to stop looking or I'd use up too much web space).

No need to justify...just admit it like the rest of us..."It's my bag, baby!" grin.gif

I love polls! Thanks for the input everyone...looks like we have at least 2 BSD's here, one's pov, and I'm guessing the other coined the phrase itself. Wonder how different the results would be for married collectors? Kids? Excluding trust funds? Hulk fans only? wink.gif

Oops, I guess he sold it beforehand unless I got the number wrong. Didn't the CBG state that he bought that copy for around $40,000? Oh well, the aging memory! frown.gif

zonker,

Yes indeedy, Sea Monkeys! I was rather hoping someone would chime in with the real term. So many young'uns on the board, I wondered if the brine shrimp comment would swim over their heads. Way to go, Zonker! You get to wear the King Monkey's crown for the day!

-- Joanna

CGC FF 6 4.5 for $225 + Heritage juice/shipping.

I try to keep it under $200 per book because I go for complete runs of titles.