• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with my TMNT collection.

26 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am new to the boards, so hi.

I am fairly new to the world of CGC collecting, been a big comic fan since I was young, and had hundreds of comics when i was a kid, but with reading them, not storing them correctly over the years I have very few left that are decent enough to be CGC graded.

To make a long story short, I need some help with some of my current collection that I have. I used to be a big TMNT fan and have a lot of decent issues that would grade anywhere from 9.0 to 9.8, here is the list:

Early Magazine issues

5 copies of TMNT #3 in NM+ (all would probably grade CGC 9.2-9.6)

5 copies of TMNT #4 in NM+ (all would probably grade CGC 9.2-9.6)

3 copies of the #1 Raphael 1 shot (all would probably grade 9.0-9.2)

Regular sized issues

3 copies of TMNT #5 (all would probably grade (9.6-9.8)

10 copies of TMNT #6 (all would probably grade (9.4-9.8)

7 copies of TMNT #7 (all would probably grade (9.4-9.6)

3 copies of Leonardo #1 1 shot (should grade 9.4-9.8)

3 copies of Donatello #1 1 shot (should grade 9.6-9.8)

3 copies of Michaelangelo #1 1 shot (should grade 9.4-9.8)

The burning question, is it worth the time and money to get these issues graded? Is it worth it to pay to have the lower graded stuff (9.0-9.4) graded by CGC. Or just stick to having the higher stuff graded (9.6-9.8)? Its quite a bit more expensive to have the magazine stuff graded vs. the regular sized comics. I mainly want to get into CGC collection for my love of comics, BUT I also want to treat these as investments as well, hopefully to appreciate over time. OR I have had cash offers to sell the whole collection for around $500.00, but I don't know if this is a good deal or not? Should I sell and infest this money in a nice silver or golden age title, instead of having these graded?

Your advice and input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Just to give you an idea, TMNT 2 was selling for a little oer $200 in 9.6 about a month or two ago. Obviosly as you get into the later issues, they are not as scarce as the #1 or even #2. Honestly, I think if you get anything under a 9.6 on the books you have, you will probably be breaking even with the CGC fees. On the other hand if you are planning on holding to them long term, it may be good to get them graded just to preserve their condition.

-I also remember seeing a #5 in 9.8 on ebay which wasnt doing to well. The last I had seen it before the auction ended it was way below $100.

I would send in the copies of #3 if they will grade 9.4 or higher, and would send copies of #4 & #5 if they would grade at 9.6 or higher. On all the other issues, I'd only send the copies that have a chance at 9.8. If they grade 9.8, you'll probably make a decent profit, and if they grade 9.6 you'll probably be able to recoup your grading costs.

Early Magazine issues

Regular sized issues

The main question is really how well do you actually grade? If you're spot on, then you should CGC the best copies. If you're not an accurate grader, you might be in for a letdown. I'd suggest you scan some of the best copies and put them up in the appropriate grading forum so everyone can let you know their opinion. If their opinion matches yours for the most part, you're in good shape.

Good luck!

(I've been selling raw TMNT #2's for $40 which are nice but not in 9.4 condition in my opinion.)

Early Magazine issues

Regular sized issues

The main question is really how well do you actually grade? If you're spot on, then you should CGC the best copies. If you're not an accurate grader, you might be in for a letdown. I'd suggest you scan some of the best copies and put them up in the appropriate grading forum so everyone can let you know their opinion. If their opinion matches yours for the most part, you're in good shape.

Good luck!

(I've been selling raw TMNT #2's for $40 which are nice but not in 9.4 condition in my opinion.)

Thanks for the advice. Although I just started collecting I do have 1 CGC graded comic, its a Superman 75 9.6, so I am basing my TMNT grades compared to this comic in terms of condition and what CGC looks at. Granted they are 2 different books (1 mag 1 regular) but its a good basis. Of course I am not claiming to be a pro, but I do consider myself a tough grader. Thanks for the advice though on listing them in the grading forum for others opinions. Thanks!

What the heck 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I posted about a 6 paragraph response in this thread last night and now it's gone 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wasn't flaming or anything just offering advice......what a bummer 893frustrated.gif

Might be a problem because i think one of mine went missing a few days ago aswell confused.gif

I posted about a 6 paragraph response in this thread last night and now it's gone 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wasn't flaming or anything just offering advice......what a bummer 893frustrated.gif

Might be a problem because i think one of mine went missing a few days ago aswell confused.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

I have said it once and i will say it again...POST WHORE mad.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

Stop The Madness

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

Stop The Madness

sorry.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

Stop The Madness

sorry.gif

flowerred.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

Stop The Madness

sorry.gif

flowerred.gif

hi.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

Stop The Madness

sorry.gif

flowerred.gif

hi.gif

893blahblah.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

acclaim.gif

Stop The Madness

sorry.gif

flowerred.gif

hi.gif

893blahblah.gif

sleeping.gif