• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking Steve Ditko

35 posts in this topic

Most comic folks have heard about Steve Ditko's Objectivist politics and his desire for privacy, but does anyone know if he ever makes public appearances? Does he ever sign any comics or answer any letters?

Today I was thinking that my dream book... the absolute grail of my personal comic book quest... would be a Strange Tales #110, 9.0 or better, with a yellow CGC signature series label, signed by Stan Lee, Steve Ditko and Ayers. To a Doctor Strange fan, this would be a historical document that would be unequalled. Wishful thinking, of course, but all 3 creators as of this moment are still alive...

Of course, there's the fact that Steve Ditko hates attention, never goes to conventions or interacts with the fans... I've seen Ayers and Stan Lee signatures, but never a Ditko outside of a piece of original art... Any suggestions at all how I could get it?

If there was any hope at all of this happening, I would contact Peter Dixon immediately...

Does he ever sign any comics or answer any letters?

Nope! You basically have a better chance getting a signature by Jimmy Hoffa! shocked.giffrown.gif

I was always a big Sprang fan. I was able to track down his home address and I wrote him a short letter telling him how much his work on Batman inspired me throughout my life. I just wanted to thank him for adding so much enjoyment and to my surprise, he wrote me back a real nice letter. I am really glad I took the time to do it since he has now passed away and I never got the chance to meet him in person. Based on my experience, I say go for it!

Ditko is a huge recluse. When my story "Mr. Muerte and the Eyeball Kid" was published, the magazine editors made an attempt to find him and inquire about him doing the art. (The story is heavily influenced by Ditko's Dr. Strange work.) They couldn't locate him.

I'm going to write an e-mail to Ayers and to Stan Lee. It's worth a shot...

Dont email , Write a letter by hand , trust me ... it makes a huge difference. If you can find a mailing address that is.

I already heard from Ayers art agent, and he would sign it no problem. Living in Los Angeles, I could probably track down Stan at a signing or an appearance (although I'd need Peter Dixon or another CGC authenticator to verify both signatures). Still, before I lay out $2000 or more on a comic, I'd have to have a lead on Ditko, who would probably never do this.

He's the friggin JD Salinger of comics.

I already heard from Ayers art agent, and he would sign it no problem. Living in Los Angeles, I could probably track down Stan at a signing or an appearance (although I'd need Peter Dixon or another CGC authenticator to verify both signatures). Still, before I lay out $2000 or more on a comic, I'd have to have a lead on Ditko, who would probably never do this.

No, he's the Bill Watterson of comics.

Oh, wait--Bill Watterson is the Bill Watterson of comics.

Stan attends the SD con usually every year. That would be a good time to catch a signing with CGC verification.

I'm never ever ever going to San Diego Con again after last year. I posted this before, but my friend Ed and I drove there from LA. It took over 6 hours and we couldn't find a single parking space in all of downtown San Diego. We were going to park over 10 miles away and take a cab back, but the line to get in was over a mile long. We ended up having to turn around and drive home.

Ditko is a huge recluse. When my story "Mr. Muerte and the Eyeball Kid" was published, the magazine editors made an attempt to find him and inquire about him doing the art. (The story is heavily influenced by Ditko's Dr. Strange work.) They couldn't locate him.

I thought I read that Ditko lived in NYC. If you check the white pages, there is a listing for him. Whether or not it's the same guy... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, you're right it's probably easier if Stan Lee came over to your house. Be sure to fly Steve B. out to your city and have him witness Stan signing your books at your house. Then Steve can hand carry your books back to CGC to be encapsulated.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

There's always Wizard World LA, where Peter Dixon had some CGC signature books done for me by Stan earlier this year...

Regardless, getting Ditko to go to one of those things would be harder than getting George W Bush to slow dance naked with Michael Moore!

but does anyone know if he ever makes public appearances? Does he ever sign any comics or answer any letters?

Never going to happen.

I would also love to get a book signed by SD (either AF 15 or STT 110) but the earth will probably freeze over first. frown.gif

Even in the '70s, Ditko was the creator most conspicuously absent from the comic cons. During the Phil Seuling New York shows, I was able to meet Lee, Kirby, Adams, Windsor-Smith, Steranko, Ayers, Giacoia, Wrightson, Thomas and other stalwarts of that era, but Ditko was never in attendance.

One can only imagine how he feels about his co-creation today becoming a humongous movie star.