• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Steve Borock just officially hint at the CGC stance on eye appeal?

61 posts in this topic

I display comics a lot. If I keep a comic on the wall of a room that is pitch dark 99.8% of the time and that is humidity and temperature controlled, what damage am I doing?

FF... I have seen your pics of your displayed comics, and agree that you are doing a great job of preservation...

But when most people think of "displayed" comics, and when I hear most collectors talk of "displaying" their comics, they aren't describing a situation in which the comics are exposed to light just 86 minutes a month...

I display comics a lot. If I keep a comic on the wall of a room that is pitch dark 99.8% of the time and that is humidity and temperature controlled, what damage am I doing?

FF, none that I can see! smile.gif

How do you display them? Are they in some sort of frame? Custom jobs?

I collect sci-fi/horror movie posters (things like the old Frankenstein, Mummy, Dracula, Invisible Man, Wolf Man films from Universal and their Realart counterparts, the Poverty Row studio horrors of the 40's from Monogram and PRC studios (hence my name) like Face of Marble, Devil Bat, Return of the Ape Man and those 50's monster films like Creature From The Black Lagoon, Mole People, I Was A Teenage Werewolf etc. Also the Charlie Chan, Mister Moto, Mister Wong and Sherlock Holmes films from the 30's and 40's. Mainly lobby cards but some larger ones as well. Many of these are framed and displayed in my apartment (have to get a bigger apartment and SF rents are going down!). The only concessions I make are archival mattes/backing boards, UV glaze and I keep the blinds drawn in such a way that no direct light hits the posters. They have been going strong for four years now with no discernible differences. I don't have to worry a lot about heat and humidity because the San Francisco climate is pretty mild and consistent year round.

Your precious ones CAN be displayed with just a little care and intelligence, just as FF is doing.

I display them in Bill Cole's Display Frames, in Mylar on plate wireframe props, and directly in the CGC cases on the wall using a plate wall hanger. I've also got a plastic literature holder I stick the the ones I get in the mail into while I'm deciding whether I want to keep them or return them due to overgrading. Plate props and holders were bought at Michael's (an arts n' crafts store) and the literature holder was bought at Staples. The literature holder is useful because it's clear and doesn't visually obstruct the comic much, yet I can bump it a little and the comic(s) still stay upright inside of it.

I posted this in another thread, but here are some pics:

ComicDisplay2.jpg

ComicDisplay1.jpg

ComicDisplay3.jpg

Yea, I like it!

I've since taken the ones off the top of the computer monitor. I'm 90% sure the monitor wasn't damaging them, but it turned out I was in that room with the lights on more often than I should've been. For a while I was rotating books in and out of those props every few days, but eventually I got tired of doing that and I would go a week or two without doing it, so I just moved them to another room instead.

I was also putting some of my best books on the wall at one point, but I eventually realized it was reckless to keep those in my house. I still hang CGC books, but it's only the cheaper ones now. I really want to get glossy, enlarged color photos of my best stuff but haven't researched the best options for that yet.

I really want to get glossy, enlarged color photos of my best stuff but haven't researched the best options for that yet.

I used to take my comics to a color copy place and have them do color copies at 100% I could then take and frame. It actually worked out very well and they looked great. Getting through the slab may be a bit tougher though! lettuce know what you end up doing!

So you gonna win my book tonight???

Dangit, 'House! I got sidetracked/hijacked by my buddies and I forgot to pad my bid! frown.gif That sucks for both of us, because I would have gone a lot higher on that book had I known that someone was actually going to make a run at it! :/