• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- Forum Dinner

109 posts in this topic

WOW....I cant wait to have dinner with Mr. Borock 893applaud-thumb.gif

If any more people sign up for this dinner he'll have to pass out numbers just to be able to talk to everyone. It'll kinda be like having an audience with the Pope. gossip.gif

If any more people sign up for this dinner he'll have to pass out numbers just to be able to talk to everyone. It'll kinda be like having an audience with the Pope. gossip.gif

One could always go to Papa Gino's and "find the president in the pizza"!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

One could always go to Papa Gino's and "find the president in the pizza"!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe he's referring to something like when I saw on the news that some people in a small town found the image of Jesus on a tortilla shell. Heck, maybe Bush Jr. was spotted in the cheese of a pizza. confused-smiley-013.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe he's referring to something like when I saw on the news that some people in a small town found the image of Jesus on a tortilla shell. Heck, maybe Bush Jr. was spotted in the cheese of a pizza. confused-smiley-013.gif

Naw ... I just think POV went off his meds again. grin.gif

Gary "Moondog" Colabuono!

Sweet! We can ask him about the Chicago pedigree! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Errr ... do you mean the Windy City pedigree? He talks all about it here.

The Chicago pedigree was discovered by the legendary dealer Joe Sarno, and is described here.

Do I need to confiscate your membership in the pedigree club, Scott? stooges.gif

Alan

4_13_6.gif

Uh, yes I meant Windy City. I don't collect GA, so I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the various GA pedigrees. (Which is why I wanted to ask him about the collection. 27_laughing.gif )

news.gif

Okay, probable change of plans here, people! Listen up and weigh in ASAP!

We've crossed the 25 person threshold that Morton's uses before forcing the event to have a pre-planned menu. Thing is, this menu is quite limited and inflexible, especially when compared to the one offered at Gibson's. Borock and I are in agreement that we should switch the site of the dinner to Gibson's, but also wanted to elicit comments from the attendees.

Morton's has two options: a "cheap one" and an "expensive one." Both include salad, desert and coffee, and choice of three entrees: a filet mignon, salmon, or chicken. The difference in price ($55 vs $65) arises if the filet offering is a single cut or double cut. Side dishes are fixed.

Gibson's, on the other hand, is more of a melding of the regular a la carte menu with the banquet-type one necessary for groups of this size. At Gibson's, for instance, we can choose to eliminate desert or appetizers or the salad course altogether. There's more of an offering of entrees, as well. And it'll probably be a bit cheaper. Oh yeah, and we'd have our own bar in the room, to boot!

All in all, Morton's offering feels like those at a wedding or bar mitzvah or something. Gibson's, on the other hand, feels like an upscale frat house. smile.gif

Thoughts, comments, death threats? Please post them ASAP, as we have to confirm the room at Gibson's and cancel Morton's by Friday.

Alan

Switching is fine with me... Is Gibson's still within walking distance of the convention? Or are we going to have to find rides/shuttles/taxis/yaks/rickshaws to get there? That's the question from the man on foot.

Thanks!

dan

Alan, Gibson's sounds fine to me, and more flexible for what we are looking for. Thanks for putting in the effort to arrange this whole thing.

If CGC ever comes to the Seattle area (yeah, like we have any good cons up here) then I'll take the reigns on the dinner plans. -----------Sid

Here's Gibson's menu. If you want, please post your preferences, including "N/A" if you don't want a particular course (appetizer, salad, desert).

APPETIZERS (one offered)

Soup of the day

Home cured Gravlax

Spicy Lobster Cocktail

Crabmeat Avocado

Shrimp cocktail

Tuna carpaccio

SALADS (one offered)

House salad

Tomato and scallion salad

Caesar salad

Half Caesar salad

ENTREES (choose from five)

Filet mignon

Small filet mignon

New York sirloin

Small New York sirloin

Porterhouse

Bone-In Sirloin

WR Chicago Cut (Ribeye)

Veal Chop

Broiled whitefish

Broiled salmon

Fresh fish of the day

Lobster Tail

Spit Roasted Half-Chicken

SIDES (two offered)

Oven roasted potatoes

Baked potato

Double baked potato

Scalloped potatoes au gratin

Green Beans

Asparagus

Broccoli

Spinach & Garlic

DESERTS (two offered family style)

Macadamia turtle pie

Chocolate brownie with ice cream

Chocolate mousse pie

Cake of the day

Carrot cake

Chocolate mousse cake

Entrees and sides alone would be approx $30-$45. Salads and deserts each add another $5. Appetizers are anywhere from $5 to $15. So figure anywhere from $30 to $60 per person. Drinks are, of course, extra. It would probably make the most sense if CGC picked up the drink tab, assuming no one orders $125 shots of cognac.

Switching is fine with me... Is Gibson's still within walking distance of the convention? Or are we going to have to find rides/shuttles/taxis/yaks/rickshaws to get there? That's the question from the man on foot.

Thanks!

dan

Gibson's is actually closer, if that's even possible.

Alan

I am also in favor of switching to Gibson's. Here are my choices.

APPETIZERS (one offered)

Crabmeat Avocado

SALADS (one offered)

Half Caesar salad

WR Chicago Cut (Ribeye)

SIDES (two offered)

Scalloped potatoes au gratin

Broccoli

DESERTS (two offered family style)

N/[!@#%^&^]

APPETIZERS (one offered)

Home cured Gravlax

or

Tuna carpaccio

(I can dream...)

SALADS (one offered)

Caesar salad

New York sirloin

SIDES (two offered)

Oven roasted potatoes

Asparagus

Gibson's sounds fine to me.

If you need to know what I want specifically let me know, but I'm easy when it comes to choices with the exception being that I'm allergic to ALL fish, which pretty much excludes all of the appetizers.

Kev

Is it too late to sign-up? Nothing is definate yet....but I'm seriously considering making it to Chicago for the con. hi.gif

hi.gif

Sure! Especially if we move to Gibson's where we'll have a bigger room! I'll put you down as a "maybe," m'okay?

Anyone else wanna join? The more the merrier!

Alan