• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- Forum Dinner

109 posts in this topic

Is it too late to sign-up? Nothing is definate yet....but I'm seriously considering making it to Chicago for the con. hi.gif

hi.gif

Sure! Especially if we move to Gibson's where we'll have a bigger room! I'll put you down as a "maybe," m'okay?

Anyone else wanna join? The more the merrier!

Alan

Thanks Alan. I should know for sure by Monday. thumbsup2.gif

Alan, I don't get how this works. Don't we just get a menu, and then order? Why do you need to know now? Is this going to be a special order where they require knowing in advance for a large party? Maybe it is. I'm used to Subway and Taco Time, maybe this is how they do it in fancy restaurants. confused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid

Alan, I don't get how this works. Don't we just get a menu, and then order? Why do you need to know now? Is this going to be a special order where they require knowing in advance for a large party? Maybe it is. I'm used to Subway and Taco Time, maybe this is how they do it in fancy restaurants. confused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid

It's a large party so we'll be doing a pre-selected menu.

In. I'd like a wafer thin mint, please.

APPETIZERS (one offered)

Shrimp cocktail

SALADS (one offered)

Caesar salad

ENTREES (choose from five)

Filet mignon

New York sirloin

Porterhouse

Broiled salmon

Fresh fish of the day

Spit Roasted Half-Chicken

SIDES (two offered)

Double baked potato

Asparagus

DESERTS (two offered family style)

Macadamia turtle pie

Carrot cake

It's a large party so we'll be doing a pre-selected menu.

Right. From the list above we'll all be eating one of the appetizers (if we choose not to forgo them entirely), one of the salads (ditto), two of the desserts (ditto squared), two of the side dishes[/b], and have a choice of among five of the listed entrees. So the only real choice is what you'll have for an entree.

But like I said, Gibson's is more flexible (we have the opportunity to forgo pretty much any of the above) and cheaper than Morton's. And Donut will still be able to get a steak as big as his head.

Clear as mud? (Gimme a break, I'm a programmer -- I throw stuff together and then spend time debugging and fixing the problems. Probably not the best traits for a party planner.... sorry.gif)

Alan

One other thing I forgot to mention:

Steve believes that we should forgo dessert and save ourselves five bucks. He said no one ordered dessert in San Diego, so it more than likely won't be missed. So unless a number of you strenuously object, this is what I'm going to do.

And if a number of you want to live without an appetizer and/or the salad course, speak now and save yourselves even more! Like I said, we're pretty flexible here.

Alan

Geez, these things get so complicated. It's just food for one meal. I could care less about the food. What matters to me is all us comic geeks getting together shootin' the breeze about comics and any other comic-geek fancied topic. Whether it's in a fancy steak house or in a high school gym eating broken potato chips of the floor, I really don't care. I'm there to socailize man, and in a big way. I eat the way I want three times a day as it is. Another meal? The least of my concerns, seriously. ------Sid

Geez, these things get so complicated. It's just food for one meal. I could care less about the food. What matters to me is all us comic geeks getting together shootin' the breeze about comics and any other comic-geek fancied topic. Whether it's in a fancy steak house or in a high school gym eating broken potato chips of the floor, I really don't care. I'm there to socailize man, and in a big way. I eat the way I want three times a day as it is. Another meal? The least of my concerns, seriously. ------Sid

I agree! I honestly spent more at the two dinners at WOndercon and the drinking sessions than I spent on comics at the con itself! Man, MacDonald's would be great as long as there was a get-together! Now you can put THAT ni the bank you betcha! thumbsup2.gif

OK, you are a vegetarian.... (continued in next post)

I agree! I honestly spent more at the two dinners at WOndercon and the drinking sessions than I spent on comics at the con itself! Man, MacDonald's would be great as long as there was a get-together! Now you can put THAT ni the bank you betcha! thumbsup2.gif

(continued from prior post) ... and you aren't even going to the Chicago dinner! (And you're a "super-taster" so you hate almost all foods anyway.) Sid, of course you don't care where we eat. You're a vegetarian. You've got nothing to eat that is worth looking forward to. And Pov, it is bad form to complain about the planning of a dinner you're not even going to attend.

SOME of us carnivores want to eat steaks the size of our heads. AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP US. There WILL be steak and it WILL be bigger than our heads. PERIOD.

And wine. And revelry. And cognac and vintage port too, apparently. cloud9.gif

SOME of us carnivores want to eat steaks the size of our heads. AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP US. There WILL be steak and it WILL be bigger than our heads. PERIOD.

Looks like yet another case of Mad Cow Disease... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(continued from prior post) ... and you aren't even going to the Chicago dinner! (And you're a "super-taster" so you hate almost all foods anyway.) Sid, of course you don't care where we eat. You're a vegetarian. You've got nothing to eat that is worth looking forward to. And Pov, it is bad form to complain about the planning of a dinner you're not even going to attend.

And wine. And revelry. And cognac and vintage port too, apparently. cloud9.gif

Huh?...... Of course I am going to the Chicago dinner. What is a super-taster? Yeah, I'm a veggy. I will be very satisfied with some bread, a large salad, baked potato and maybe another side dish. I just made that comment because there is so much talk about the food, and the place. My only reason for going is to hang out and chat with all you guys. A few of you I have met before but most of you I have not. That is what I have that is worth looking forwards too. I was just saying that the surrounding is the least important thing to me. No big deal. Go ahead, eat a steak bigger than your head. I don't care what other people eat. I like to eat big bean n' cheese burritos that are bigger n' my head so I appreciate the size comparisons. -----Sid

I just made that comment because there is so much talk about the food, and the place. My only reason for going is to hang out and chat with all you guys. A few of you I have met before but most of you I have not. That is what I have that is worth looking forwards too. I was just saying that the surrounding is the least important thing to me. No big deal.

No problem, Sid. My only purpose in posting so much about the venue and the menu is to try and make this thing as ... er, "democratic" ...(?) as possible. Perhaps I should work on my dictatorial skills more? How's this: "No forum dinner for you! You come back, one year!!" grin.gif

But seriously, I think we're all pretty much in agreement with your assessment that the main point of this dinner is socializing and not eating/drinking. (Well, expect for Donut ... he'll be the guy in the corner gnawing on the raw side of beef and washing it down with the gallon of bourbon. But that's just Donut. stooges.gif) Which ultimately in the end means this is going to be a heckuva get together!

Alan

I just made that comment because there is so much talk about the food, and the place. My only reason for going is to hang out and chat with all you guys. A few of you I have met before but most of you I have not. That is what I have that is worth looking forwards too. I was just saying that the surrounding is the least important thing to me. No big deal.

No problem, Sid. My only purpose in posting so much about the venue and the menu is to try and make this thing as ... er, "democratic" ...(?) as possible. Perhaps I should work on my dictatorial skills more? How's this: "No forum dinner for you! You come back, one year!!" grin.gif

But seriously, I think we're all pretty much in agreement with your assessment that the main point of this dinner is socializing and not eating/drinking. (Well, expect for Donut ... he'll be the guy in the corner gnawing on the raw side of beef and washing it down with the gallon of bourbon. But that's just Donut. stooges.gif) Which ultimately in the end means this is going to be a heckuva get together!

Alan

Sounds good. But, I just wanna make sure nobody makes any jokes about having Donuts for desert. I can eat the pie, but I just don't do donuts. Not that there's anything wrong with that.