• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago -- Forum Dinner

109 posts in this topic

I just made that comment because there is so much talk about the food, and the place. My only reason for going is to hang out and chat with all you guys. A few of you I have met before but most of you I have not. That is what I have that is worth looking forwards too. I was just saying that the surrounding is the least important thing to me. No big deal.

No problem, Sid. My only purpose in posting so much about the venue and the menu is to try and make this thing as ... er, "democratic" ...(?) as possible. Perhaps I should work on my dictatorial skills more? How's this: "No forum dinner for you! You come back, one year!!" grin.gif

But seriously, I think we're all pretty much in agreement with your assessment that the main point of this dinner is socializing and not eating/drinking. (Well, expect for Donut ... he'll be the guy in the corner gnawing on the raw side of beef and washing it down with the gallon of bourbon. But that's just Donut. stooges.gif) Which ultimately in the end means this is going to be a heckuva get together!

Alan

Sounds good. But, I just wanna make sure nobody makes any jokes about having Donuts for desert. I can eat the pie, but I just don't do donuts. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Make sure you have some hot dogs while you're in town, Sid. They're the best in the country.

Geez, these things get so complicated. It's just food for one meal. I could care less about the food. What matters to me is all us comic geeks getting together shootin' the breeze about comics and any other comic-geek fancied topic. Whether it's in a fancy steak house or in a high school gym eating broken potato chips of the floor, I really don't care. I'm there to socailize man, and in a big way. I eat the way I want three times a day as it is. Another meal? The least of my concerns, seriously. ------Sid

I agree! I honestly spent more at the two dinners at WOndercon and the drinking sessions than I spent on comics at the con itself! Man, MacDonald's would be great as long as there was a get-together! Now you can put THAT ni the bank you betcha! thumbsup2.gif

(continued from prior post) ... and you aren't even going to the Chicago dinner! (And you're a "super-taster" so you hate almost all foods anyway.) Sid, of course you don't care where we eat. You're a vegetarian. You've got nothing to eat that is worth looking forward to. And Pov, it is bad form to complain about the planning of a dinner you're not even going to attend.

SOME of us carnivores want to eat steaks the size of our heads. AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP US. There WILL be steak and it WILL be bigger than our heads. PERIOD.

And wine. And revelry. And cognac and vintage port too, apparently. cloud9.gif

Huh?...... Of course I am going to the Chicago dinner. What is a super-taster? Yeah, I'm a veggy. I will be very satisfied with some bread, a large salad, baked potato and maybe another side dish. I just made that comment because there is so much talk about the food, and the place. My only reason for going is to hang out and chat with all you guys. A few of you I have met before but most of you I have not. That is what I have that is worth looking forwards too. I was just saying that the surrounding is the least important thing to me. No big deal. Go ahead, eat a steak bigger than your head. I don't care what other people eat. I like to eat big bean n' cheese burritos that are bigger n' my head so I appreciate the size comparisons. -----Sid

The "you're not coming and you're a super-taster" was directed at Pov. You can ask him what a super-taster is.

I just made that comment because there is so much talk about the food, and the place. My only reason for going is to hang out and chat with all you guys. A few of you I have met before but most of you I have not. That is what I have that is worth looking forwards too. I was just saying that the surrounding is the least important thing to me. No big deal.

No problem, Sid. My only purpose in posting so much about the venue and the menu is to try and make this thing as ... er, "democratic" ...(?) as possible. Perhaps I should work on my dictatorial skills more? How's this: "No forum dinner for you! You come back, one year!!" grin.gif

But seriously, I think we're all pretty much in agreement with your assessment that the main point of this dinner is socializing and not eating/drinking. (Well, expect for Donut ... he'll be the guy in the corner gnawing on the raw side of beef and washing it down with the gallon of bourbon. But that's just Donut. stooges.gif) Which ultimately in the end means this is going to be a heckuva get together!

Alan

Hey now! blush.gif I'll be the one slobbering over all of Jason Ewert's pressed books 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Seriously, I'm looking forward to this event with great anticipation. I'll be at the Cubs game on Saturday afternoon, so will be coming in after a Glorious Cubs Victory!

I like Morton's but I LOVE Gibson's! smile.gif

Here are my votes:

Shrimp cocktail

House salad

Giant Filet cloud9.gif

Broccoli

Asparagus

No dessert is fine

Gibson's has the bigget drinks I've ever seen.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you for the first time (and the old-timers too).

I do have one request. Since I'm a newbie, can you guys please list your "real" names next to your forum name? I'd certainly appreciate it. If this info is already posted somewhere just point me in the right direction foreheadslap.gif and snicker behind my back .

I'll start:

Moondog = Gary Colabuono

--Gary

FINAL ARRANGEMENTS:

We are confirmed for Gibson's on Saturday, August 14th at 7:30pm! Here are the salient details:

There will be a cash bar.

CGC is picking up the before dinner appetizers.

We're on our own for the rest of the food, which will include salad, choice of entree, and two side dishes.

As such, all attendees should Paypal Steve Borock $55 for their share of the dinner. His account is linked to sborock@cgccomics.com.

If you have to cancel, please let me know ASAP. Gibson's needs a guaranteed number of people no later than Thursday, but if you wait until then to let me know I reserve the right to hunt you down on the convention floor and ... give you a flower: flowerred.gif (hi.gif Arch) Also, if you would still like to attend, get your name on the list ASAP. Again, you have until Thursday at the latest!

As always, send all questions, comments, and death threats my way.

Alan

Confirmed!

What:

Chicago Comicon (aka Wizard Whirled) forum dinner!

When:

Saturday, August 14th, 7:30pm!

Where:

PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE!

Gibson's Steakhouse

5464 North River Road

Rosemont IL 60018

(847) 928-9900

Why:

'Cause we're comic geeks!

How:

By foot! The place is right around the corner from the convention center and its hotels! You can't miss it!

Who:

More or less confirmed:

Steve Borock

Paul Litch

Mark Haspel

John Slater

Jerry Stephan

Me (PedigreeMan!)

Rob_react

Flying Donut

Fantasyfootballbono

BassGMan

Bobpfef

Drummy

CentaurMan

Kevin_boyd

Nochips

Archiefan

Captain Tripps

Stagedoorjohnnie

CPG_Guy

Comgeek

Qualitycomix

Moondog (Gary Colubauno)

JC Vaughn

Jamie David

Borock says he's going to bring:

Tom Brulato

Jason Ewert

MXXXXXXX NXXXX

JXXX HXXXXX

XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX

Maybes:

Beyonder

Architect

Tom G.

Major Khaos? flowerred.gif

Cancellations:

Matt Nelson (slim possibility of him attending should his current plans fall through)

ValiantMan and his wife

FFB's girlfriend, Liz

No responses, taken as a "no":

Blazingbob

Anyone from Metropolis

Again, if you are coming, please Paypal $55 to Steve Borock's account (sborock@cgccomics.com). Thank you!

I like Morton's but I LOVE Gibson's! smile.gif

Here are my votes:

Shrimp cocktail

House salad

Giant Filet cloud9.gif

Broccoli

Asparagus

No dessert is fine

Gibson's has the bigget drinks I've ever seen.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you for the first time (and the old-timers too).

I do have one request. Since I'm a newbie, can you guys please list your "real" names next to your forum name? I'd certainly appreciate it. If this info is already posted somewhere just point me in the right direction foreheadslap.gif and snicker behind my back .

I'll start:

Moondog = Gary Colabuono

--Gary

Gary-

Wasssssssup! I am going to bring name tag stickers for everyone so they can list their chat name and real name on them. I am, as always, looking forward to seeing you! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Liz will join us after dinner. She'll be there, just not for the food.

for the cocktails? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes. But you're not coming to the Con, so what do you care! makepoint.gif

flowerred.gif

Steve:

I'm having more fun goofing around on this board than any other place on the Net!

Got a LOT of good stuff for the show this year. And in the Heritage auction that closes at the show.

But I'm looking forward to this dinner more than anything!

I'll be in booth # 2300 with Joe Sarno again this year. Stop by when/if you have a minute.

See you soon, pal.

--Gary

Dress Code?

Hi guys, I know the weather is gonna be really nice in Chicago and I am a serious shorts n' T-shirt kinda' casual guy. Does anyone know if Gibsons has a dress code like some fancy restaurants do? I don't wanna get there and be SOL. I can "dress up" if need be. Thanks-----Sid

Dress Code?

Hi guys, I know the weather is gonna be really nice in Chicago and I am a serious shorts n' T-shirt kinda' casual guy. Does anyone know if Gibsons has a dress code like some fancy restaurants do? I don't wanna get there and be SOL. I can "dress up" if need be. Thanks-----Sid

Right from the website:

What is the dress code at Gibsons Steakhouse?

Some people come very dressed up, others come in jeans, so you will feel comfortable in practically anything.

Dress Code?

Greggy says: "Show up in short shorts!"

Dress Code?

Those are fighting words...punk! crazy.gif

Dress Code?

Those are fighting words...punk! crazy.gif

Are you online 24/7 confused.gif27_laughing.gif

Josh Nathenson will be joining us for dinner 893applaud-thumb.gif
confused-smiley-013.gif I won't be there so sorry.gif How come none of the dealers want to join us in San Diego? Hell...I'll even accept Paul as an attendee if you let him attend the show! tongue.gif