• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Sonja Fan Club
5 5

1,280 posts in this topic

Wizardeye, sorry but you dont have any sense of the history of these sets and what has been in place for a long time.

What seems like common sense to you is not always the case and has not been the case in the past. There are numerous sets where there is a single entry for a comic - and you could put in the price variant or the regular comic into that one slot. That's how is used to be.

Its perfectly valid to argue otherwise, I dont have a problem with that but I do happen to disagree.

Since there is now no limitation on set requests the route most go is to request new sets that contain all the variations one is looking for.

The census is not seen as the king or deciding factor, many of the sets these days are created by individuals looking for a particular thing. You could certainly make a sig series only set. These are human constructs, there is nothing sacred about the sets.

This is why variant collectors are viewed by some as being a bit different; they have different priorities and hold these books to be special. To me Red Sonja 9 is Red Sonja 9 - the art and story are the same, I dont care if one was published in one month and one in another. Well done for having two 9.8 copies.

Usually an appreciation thread would have someone talk about why that happened, which would actually be interesting.

i have no skin in this game but I think by having 2 sets...one with no variant and one with all the variants then you will be king of both sets eventually right? assuming you are a completist.

Why not have 3 sets, one without any variants, one for variants only for those only want to collect variants, and one with everything?

at the end of the day, you CAN be KING of all 3 sets.

Snip

Usually an appreciation thread would have someone talk about why that happened, which would actually be interesting.

I have looked and looked on the internet for a explanation why marvel printed more books and cant find one ?

Theses books poorly sold anyways and to reprint seems crazy for marvel?

I did try looking BAD weather in those months but that search didnt go well

Like the print run #s information from marvel is hard to come by

Its not at the right time for whitmans or price varients or our of country books

I just cant figure that one out

A good question for Conan collectors may be did they do the same thing in Conan?They may know?

Have fun collecting

:)

There may be a clue all the second print are poping out at 9.8 so mayby it was very small and just sent to a very local area were some one saved a few ?

Like Ray renolds time capsule books?

Edited by gyro-1

It's like this. The census lists the price variants for #'s 4 and 5, and both issue dates for #9. If a certain person does or doesn't collect these for whatever reason has no baring on the issue. The registry, if there is any logic to it, should reflect the census. There are no registry sets for say, only the yellow covers, or only odd number issues. That would be ludicrous. Just like saying only my set should be the one that counts. The census should be the only thing that matters, and opinion should not cloud the issue. To date there are 6 graded copies of the #4 35 cent cover, and 3 for the #5. There are 13 graded copies for the 5/78 #9, and 6 for the 11/78 #9. These are all grades combined. As any collector worth their weight in poly bags can see, these are quite rare in highest graded examples. It stands to reason that as collectors we should strive to bring forth these rarities, and display them with pride. Having someone's opinion of what the complete set comprises of conflict with the census is simply short sighted. The facts could not be any clearer.

lol

It's like this. The census lists the price variants for #'s 4 and 5, and both issue dates for #9. If a certain person does or doesn't collect these for whatever reason has no baring on the issue. The registry, if there is any logic to it, should reflect the census. There are no registry sets for say, only the yellow covers, or only odd number issues. That would be ludicrous. Just like saying only my set should be the one that counts. The census should be the only thing that matters, and opinion should not cloud the issue. To date there are 6 graded copies of the #4 35 cent cover, and 3 for the #5. There are 13 graded copies for the 5/78 #9, and 6 for the 11/78 #9. These are all grades combined. As any collector worth their weight in poly bags can see, these are quite rare in highest graded examples. It stands to reason that as collectors we should strive to bring forth these rarities, and display them with pride. Having someone's opinion of what the complete set comprises of conflict with the census is simply short sighted. The facts could not be any clearer.

lol

Fingh :luhv:

Snip

I have looked and looked on the internet for a explanation why marvel printed more books and cant find one ?

Theses books poorly sold anyways and to reprint seems crazy for marvel?

I did try looking BAD weather in those months but that search didnt go well

Like the print run #s information from marvel is hard to come by

Its not at the right time for whitmans or price varients or our of country books

I just cant figure that one out

A good question for Conan collectors may be did they do the same thing in Conan?They may know?

Have fun collecting

There may be a clue all the second print are poping out at 9.8 so mayby it was very small and just sent to a very local area were some one saved a few ?

Like Ray renolds time capsule books?

nice searching.

I dont know how the whole process worked, were they printed all from one area, or multiple sites around the country? Maybe they missed a spot and the Sonja fans got mad, maybe someone hit the wrong button and they made a load more when they were not supposed to?

I know its old, I know it is said all the time, but....its so good

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

Mongol: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

the score of 8 on the Red Sonja 4 35 Cent Price Variant is so unfair and shows how unfair the system is worked out

That book is 100 times harder to get in that grade than a regular book

One of theses days a price varient colector will let some slip out !