• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Was the First Appearance of Spider-Man's Black Costume?
1 1

71 posts in this topic

In a Not- so- subtle- way- of- attempting- to- hijack- this- thread- ......... :whistle:

By the way, What's the First Appearance of Vemon? :roflmao:

lol

Even his first appearance is confusing lol

Oh and smiley-signs108.gif

OSPG 42 says:

WEB OF SPIDER-MAN

#18- 1st app. Venom (behind the scenes, 9/86) 4.00 (9.2)

sorry

In a Not- so- subtle- way- of- attempting- to- hijack- this- thread- ......... :whistle:

lol

OSPG 42 says:

WEB OF SPIDER-MAN

sorry

lol

lol

OSPG 42 says:

WEB OF SPIDER-MAN

sorry

That was really cool the way they introduced him in that book with the cliffhanger.

Actually I remember Secret Wars #8 being the first time the Symbiote was introduced,then ASM #252

Chronologically it was ASM 252.

Continuity it would be SW8

ASM #252 was first. Then you had to wait till Secret Wars #8 to find out how it happened.

Dan

^^

Marvel Age #12 was technically the first appearance of the black suit:

link

Granted, it just showed sketches of what the new suit might look like, it was published in March of '84.

I remember this vividly when it came out (my buddy Alex showed it to me in English class when I was a sophomore in high school), here's the page for those people that have never seen it (which I imagine there are quite a few of).

129022.jpg.5b05a1ed5b36617eeef545850af5f324.jpg

Actually I remember Secret Wars #8 being the first time the Symbiote was introduced,then ASM #252

Chronologically it was ASM 252.

Continuity it would be SW8

ASM #252 was first. Then you had to wait till Secret Wars #8 to find out how it happened.

Dan

^^

Marvel Age #12 was technically the first appearance of the black suit:

link

Granted, it just showed sketches of what the new suit might look like, it was published in March of '84.

I remember this vividly when it came out (my buddy Alex showed it to me in English class when I was a sophomore in high school), here's the page for those people that have never seen it (which I imagine there are quite a few of).

My memory really was right that originally the spider was red. :whee:

For those dumping on this thread because they think it's a rehash of the Hulk 180 vs. 181 argument, it's not at all the same. I was wondering why CGC includes on ASM 252 and MTU 141 labels that each "ties" with the other as the first appearance of the black costume when the two books were released at different times a few weeks apart in the same month. And then as someone pointed out, PPSSM 90 was released in between the two books, and yet the label on it simply indicates that it is the first appearance of the black costume in the title. Doesn't seem like CGC is being consistent on this one.

Man am I glad they didn't go with the red spider, it's horrible. And hindsight is 20/20, but Venom's tongue wouldn't stand out at all against a red background.

6 hours ago, Ramiro1966 said:

I bought team up #141  few weeks before Amazing Spider man #252 and Secret Wars from the News Stand

Was distribution really that terrible in your area? That must have sucked.

10 hours ago, Ramiro1966 said:

I bought team up #141  few weeks before Amazing Spider man #252 and Secret Wars from the News Stand

3 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

Here we go again.

:popcorn:

Yayyy rehash the argument let the boards burn with fury hatred and ignorance muhuhahahaha

but yeah the answer is 252 .... Imo not important only as a Spidey suit but also first symbiote and key to the birth of Venom

Venom who first appears in ASM 299 full page with a line but you know whatever I have both 299 and 300 NM so if we want 300 to be FA fine by me (*stirs pot)

for what it's worth I refuse to accept Marvel Preview 7 as Rockets 1st Appearance because

1. It's a magazine

2.didnt they call him Rocky Raccoon? 

3. I hate that book 

4. I have and love my IH 271

Irrational yes ..... Ignorant yes.... But I'll fight you on it to the DEATH on it 

O.o

Rabble rabble rabble

I still remember buying 5 copies of 252 the day it got released, and the shop owner telling me it was a waste of money and would never be worth my investment.  I also remember MTU and PP black costume issues came out after 252 by at least a week, but same month.  There is no tie, 252 was first.

On 12/21/2022 at 5:21 PM, mrlatko said:

I still remember buying 5 copies of 252 the day it got released, and the shop owner telling me it was a waste of money and would never be worth my investment.  I also remember MTU and PP black costume issues came out after 252 by at least a week, but same month.  There is no tie, 252 was first.

I remember the timeline the same. Book was  a big seller at Empire Comics on Mt. Hope in Rochester and I bought plenty. 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:23 PM, Lurker89 said:

but yeah the answer is 252 .... Imo not important only as a Spidey suit but also first symbiote and key to the birth of Venom

Venom who first appears in ASM 299 full page with a line but you know whatever I have both 299 and 300 NM so if we want 300 to be FA fine by me (*stirs pot)

More than just a full page. He's on 2 pages, 

amazing299_21.jpg?w=456&h=662

amazing-spiderman-299-22.jpg