• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rarity & FMV for More Fun Comics #73 mid-grade

93 posts in this topic

Greetings All,

I have MFC #73 and would like to no how rare these comic books are?

Mine is a CGC 5.5 universal grade. What is the FMV for a book like this with two key DC Universe characters & a side-kick?

What is the potential for growth/demand presently & 20-25 years from now?

Thanks

More Fun 73 is one of the scarcer DC golden age keys. It's a lot scarcer than All-Star 8.

A 5.5 copy is probably worth about $6000.

20-25 years is a long time to project. More like guessing. You have to consider things like: Will the characters still be relevant? Will younger people be collecting golden age comics or will it just be an old man's hobby?

Personally, I think it's a great book. The All-Star 8 too.

The All-Star Comics #8 should out pace More Fun Comics #73, as Aquaman is not as prominent in popular culture as Wonder Woman. That said; if you can snag a copy of More Fun Comics #73 it wouldn't hurt holding onto this book long-term. The return on investment may not help in your retirement, but it will appreciate to a certain extent.

Rule of thumb is to collect what you like and just find the value increase as an added bonus if you decide to move on from comic collecting into retirement.

In terms of value maintenance and max potential increase I would buy Superman, Batman and Spider-man major keys only (i.e Action #1, Superman #1, Tec #27, Batman #1 and AF #15 only) leaning to Batman and Spider-man over Superman if looking further into the future.

Assuming you need no liquidity it would make sense to sell both books (All Star and MF 73) and any others to purchase the best possiblle of one of those listed above (probably an AF #15 but may just be experiencing a short-term bubble at the moment).

In terms of enjoyment I would buy whatever you are interested in.

I would not expect a stellar investment performance on a More Fun #73 but if you enjoy holding the book keep it. I would.

More Fun 73 is one of the scarcer DC golden age keys. It's a lot scarcer than All-Star 8.

20-25 years is a long time to project. More like guessing. You have to consider things like: Will the characters still be relevant? Will younger people be collecting golden age comics or will it just be an old man's hobby?

Yeah, thanks. I will keep my fingers crossed. I would get a little more than $6K if I were to sell mines.

I think with the new 'ARROW' series coming out this fall, it will help boost the popularity of Green Arrow. If this show is close to being as good as 'SMALLVILLE', the potential for an increase demand for MFC #73 is very promising.

That's is what I like about MFC #73, you have 2 heroes instead of one so they can piggy-back off each others turn to get noticed. Not to mention a side-kick in Speedy.

If WB/DC start to focus on their other characters outside of Batman & Superman, maybe Aquaman, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman etc. can get the props they deserve. In return this will affect the demand for books like mine.

WB/DC has just too many great characters to be turning out only 1 movie per year. That's why Marvel is kicking their asses when it comes to live action movies. And I have been a Marvel man for most of my life.

Both companies have properties that deserve their time to shine. Green Arrow gets his this fall! Let's just hope WB/DC gives him the support he deserves for 'ARROW' to endure a few years.

Anyone know what criteria Overstreet used/s to label scarcity on certain books? for example, MF 73 shows rare w est 85 copies then at some point (I am missing several guides) by late 90s the notation is dropped. Yet a book like Vault of Horror retains a "scarce" rating. I would expect a big key like MF 73 to at least change over to Scarce if there was ample evidence of 100+ copies to warrant removal of "rare"

:gossip: a 5.0 sold in July for just over $3k

Universal, CGC graded,

Certification #: 0901180001

Title: Adventure Comics

Issue: 73

Issue Date: 4/42

Issue Year: 1942

Publisher: D.C. Comics

Grade: 5.0

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE

Grade Date: 09/05/2008

Category: Universal

Art Comments: Gardner Fox and Jack Lehti stories

Jack Burnley and Bernard Baily art

Joe Simon and Jack Kirby cover and art

Key Comments: Origin of Manhunter.

Classic cover.

typo ? - I think you meant to pull MF 73

a 4.5 just sold this month for $4200 (thumbs u

Here's the real info on it. Thanks for the correct dollar's Rick

Certification #: 1042281001

Title: More Fun Comics

Issue Date: 11/41

Issue Year: 1941

Grade: 4.5

Page Quality: OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Date: 05/04/2011

Art Comments: Jerry Siegel Mort Weisinger and

Gardner Fox stories Howard Sherman

Bernard Baily and George Papp art

Key Comments: Origin and 1st appearance of Aquaman.

1st appearance of Green Arrow

and Speedy.

For soem reason when I hear #73 I think of either Adventure or Detective.

and Speedy.

No, that copy sold in Aug 2011, not 2012. I was the buyer.

It may have been the last unrestored copy sold. No other GPA sales reported since, and ComicLink hasn't sold one since then either.

and Speedy.

It may have been the last unrestored copy sold. No other GPA sales reported since, and ComicLink hasn't sold one since then either.

I didn't sell my copy to you (shrug)

I should have clarified that "I" sold a 4.5 this month, for $4200 (thumbs u

and Speedy.

I would say MFC #73 are very rare. All 20 CGC universal copies are most likely in private collections.

It may take a few years before a copy hits the buyers market again.

I dont think that there is any issue of any comic (major publishers) that takes years to come to market. This is rhetoric by owners of these books used to inflate demand and price much like the reason that you start such threads.

and Speedy.

I didn't sell my copy to you (shrug)

I should have clarified that "I" sold a 4.5 this month, for $4200 (thumbs u

Ah, I see. Sorry, I thought you were just looking at GPA and mis-quoted the year.

I dont think that there is any issue of any comic (major publishers) that takes years to come to market. This is rhetoric by owners of these books used to inflate demand and price much like the reason that you start such threads.

According to GPA, this issue has been for sale once every 6 months on average during the last 10 years. At least that bounds the answer in one direction.

Yeah, pretty much. Sometimes issues fall through the cracks for years, but usually because not a lot of people are looking for them.