• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do rusty staples do to reduce grade on this book.

23 posts in this topic

Paper around the staples still appears pretty solid. I might want to try it. Any idea what a restorer should or would charge for the work. Looking at somewhere between 10 and 15 copies all at one time. I have a local restorer that I could go to but am wondering (before I go) what a reasonable cost would be. Anyone?

I have a local restorer that I could go to but am wondering (before I go) what a reasonable cost would be. Anyone?

Wish I could answer that but I am sure that, as Overstreet sometimes used to say, "prices vary widely" on this retoration.

A factor or two to consider: most restorers charge by the hour so getting all of them done at once is, naturally, more efficient. But I would be sure to have a talk with the restorer first and a followup conversation after the books have been received but BEFORE any work is done. It is possible they can salvage the original staples and such should be discussed after the restorer has a chance to see the books. I would ensure that period staples are used if they end up being replaced and not just cleaned. Also, while a staple replacement should only take a few minutes per book, the potential for damage (especially if the paper has been weakened) is definfitely there, so the price may be a bit higher to reflect that.