• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,949 posts in this topic

Time for my obligatory CGC running late post:

CGC East and CGC West facilities :idea:

East vs. West will never, ever work. It is always brought up but CGC will never do that. Look at how hard it is to get additional help let alone a new facility and staff.

If the fear of having to lay off new hires is part of their thought process, I don't see CGC's popularity falling anytime soon. Not doing anything or not making changes in a speedy manner just leaves them ripe to have legitimate competition appear.

Having worked with the automation crew for a large fortune 500 company CGC would need to look at the current processes that are pain points/time consumers.

Whatever can be automated they need to seriously look at. If they cannot see the flaws in the system a consultant should be brought in.

1- Automate what can be automated.

2- Additional help.

3- Consistency.

John:

Again, I'll ask. What other business am I expected to really care about why they're so far behind in providing the service they've promised. I like the people at CGC that I've met and interacted with. But that doesn't mean it's not crappy business to be woefully behind. It's not professional.

If they offer enough money, people will flock to open positions. Every qualified applicant has their price. My guess is that the wage offered doesn't entice people for the reasons you stated above.

Bingo. There is no other business that would survive this type of delay. And really astonishing is the lack of financial compensation, why the heck should I have to pay full price when the company can not meet their own deadlines. Any other industry there would be penalties for the delays.

John:

Again, I'll ask. What other business am I expected to really care about why they're so far behind in providing the service they've promised. I like the people at CGC that I've met and interacted with. But that doesn't mean it's not crappy business to be woefully behind. It's not professional.

If they offer enough money, people will flock to open positions. Every qualified applicant has their price. My guess is that the wage offered doesn't entice people for the reasons you stated above.

I can think of 5-10 people right now that would make perfect CGC graders the problem is you would need to pay them 100k starting to make them even think about stop selling comics or quit their day job now.

Like I said age demographic plays a big part as I doubt you would give up your job as a lawyer to be an entry level employee grader right?

I would rather have CGC behind then hire graders that are not qualified and hurt the hobby.

I've had an order stuck in verification for quite a while now. CGC received my comics on 4/23/12. At the time I submitted them the turn around was 100 days. I see it's now at 110.

Can any body tell me what month or invoice numbers are being returned right now.

Thanks

PM Transplant for an update. (thumbs u

PM sent :whee:

John:

Bingo. There is no other business that would survive this type of delay. And really astonishing is the lack of financial compensation, why the heck should I have to pay full price when the company can not meet their own deadlines. Any other industry there would be penalties for the delays.

All other markets have competition. (shrug)

John:

I can think of 5-10 people right now that would make perfect CGC graders the problem is you would need to pay them 100k starting to make them even think about stop selling comics or quit their day job now.

Like I said age demographic plays a big part as I doubt you would give up your job as a lawyer to be an entry level employee grader right?

I would rather have CGC behind then hire graders that are not qualified and hurt the hobby.

How much money do they stand to lose when a competitor opens shop?

hm

John:

I don't purport to know what they pay. Clearly they aren't paying $100k to a new grader. What I'm saying is what they're paying isn't working to attract the right type/# of applicants, if they are trying to hire.

John:

hm

Good luck with that.

You need probably a million just to open up that shop. :ohnoez:

John:

I don't purport to know what they pay. Clearly they aren't paying $100k to a new grader. What I'm saying is what they're paying isn't working to attract the right type/# of applicants, if they are trying to hire.

Mike that is my point usually people that can grade already make a ton of money in the first place.

I am telling you 22-27 is perfect, but guys that age range and already have a sound comic background do not just fall off trees.

John:

hm

Good luck with that.

Not to mention the proverbial Mt Everest that a new company would need to climb before they gained anywhere near the acceptance of CGC. Just don't see it happening anytime soon.

John:

Mike that is my point usually people that can grade already make a ton of money in the first place.

I am telling you 22-27 is perfect, but guys that age range and already have a sound comic background do not just fall off trees.

200k and I'm there :acclaim:

John:

You'd take $24k. Remember, no Manhattan cost of living. You'd probably come out ahead.

John:

hm

Good luck with that.

A savvy investor would carefully look at CGC's numbers and do the math. You don't have to be a genius to figure out averages. Heck, even at $25 a book on average @ 200,000 to 300,000 books a year I am sure you can find someone to invest the capital.

Hiring the right people to start with and developing a better case and pricing structure would help if not eliminate most of the ramp up time.

John:

You'd take $24k. Remember, no Manhattan cost of living. You'd probably come out ahead.
I wouldn't take that WITH a rent-free apartment :sumo:

Time for my obligatory CGC running late post:

CGC East and CGC West facilities :idea:

East vs. West will never, ever work. It is always brought up but CGC will never do that. Look at how hard it is to get additional help let alone a new facility and staff.

I understand the difficulty with their current staffing and the specialty involved in terms of employing people. Another facility would indeed work and could be done within a year. I'm unfamiliar with automated services and have no idea what they would automate - help me out here, Joey.

Too bad they don't have a couple of folks committed solely to grading moderns.

Yeah, and there's no way a legit competitor would crop up any time soon. Too many have tried and failed miserably, clearly not understanding the depth of the work.

A viable competitor may well step up. It happened in the sports card trading industry where a deep pocketed competitor built in marketability went head to head with the giant PSA who at that time only graded 1-10 in whole numbers. Beckett introduced BGS with decimal point grading 0.5 - 10.0 and included sub-grades denoted on the encapsulation or free "graders notes" if you will. These were corners, surface, centering and I believe edges. These sub-grades were then added together with some formula to get your total grade. The collectors obviously loved this model. PSA then retooled somewhat offering decimal scores etc and they are still very viable but no longer the lion.