• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
81 81

26,860 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 12:09 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Also seeing more "CGC Unboxing" videos from people on YouTube that makes me understand even more how most people don't deserve to have money in this world on how illogically terrible their submissions are.  I wouldn't care as much if they were personal books, but clearly from their videos their submissions were for financial gain. 

Then they blame CGC for a book coming back a 8.0, and they don't understand because they graded it 9.4.

:news: You can't grade! 

I do enjoy seeing them lose money though. They deserve it!

Probably the same people who thought they were going to strike it rich buying Peloton stock. lol  Just like gym memberships in January by March its empty at the gym.  Same goes for all the people who bought this bike that is probably just collecting dust that coincides with their life goal dreams that they usually don't follow through on. 

image.thumb.png.5d917722a7d3e9055aa1014e4b3d30b8.png

Really expensive clothes hanger lmao 

Just had one of my 4/7 subs bounce back over to CGC from CCS and is now SFG. That makes 2 of 5 so far. 4 out of the 5 are 99% to sell, while the one is for my PC. The first one to come back was the one for my PC, and this one today is the submission with the lowest value comics in it. Its as if they know i need money, and are just screwing with me lol... the first one is still in GEI since 11/19...

Edited by zupaphly

On 1/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, cd4ever said:

I personally disagree with all this 'those people should not be sending those books' nonsense. Anyone can send anything they want and don't need approval or need to justify it to anyone,  It's their money.   

You're not wrong. But we're human and it's annoying that TATs are what they are and some of it has to be because people are submitting junk like this. These are $3 books. And these are not isolated incidents. It's freaking moronic.

IMG_9215.thumb.jpeg.45ea7f395e14bdabc52078670c6992b9.jpeg

IMG_9287.thumb.PNG.6cdcbd810ade61cc1757cdf9d1fd11d0.PNG

On 1/21/2022 at 1:47 PM, zupaphly said:

Just had one of my 4/7 subs bounce back over to CGC from CCS and is now SFG. That makes 2 of 5 so far. 4 out of the 5 are 99% to sell, while the one is for my PC. The first one to come back was the one for my PC, and this one today is the submission with the lowest value comics in it. Its as if they know i need money, and are just screwing with me lol... the first one is still in GEI since 11/19...

Hahaha..............this is good news for me, since I'm still waiting for my 4/11 received to transfer over to CGC. Were you satisfied with the pressing/grades for the first submission? Just curious.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice the first one hasn't been graded either. :(

Edited by skybolt

On 1/21/2022 at 1:18 PM, skybolt said:

Hahaha..............this is good news for me, since I'm still waiting for my 4/11 received to transfer over to CGC. Were you satisfied with the pressing/grades for the first submission? Just curious.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice the first one hasn't been graded either. :(

Nope... just sitting there waiting for 2 months... the one that came back to CGC today just changed to GEI, was in SFG for about 2-3 hours...

Edited by zupaphly

The worst kind of days stock market down and CGC TaT's went up.

They must have ant farmed Express and Crawl Thru as they went down.

I think these are new record for wait time for Moderns and economy.

What dope would pay for fast-track right now.  If you need the book back fast might as well go all the way and EX them. (shrug)

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 4.02.48 PM.png

Happy Friday! lol 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/21/2022 at 12:03 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

You're not wrong. But we're human and it's annoying that TATs are what they are and some of it has to be because people are submitting junk like this. These are $3 books. And these are not isolated incidents. It's freaking moronic.

IMG_9215.thumb.jpeg.45ea7f395e14bdabc52078670c6992b9.jpeg

IMG_9287.thumb.PNG.6cdcbd810ade61cc1757cdf9d1fd11d0.PNG

The only way CGC TaT's will improve honestly is these submitters need to keep losing money, and over the next 4-6 months I suspect many will as the books that were submitted in mid to late 2021 get graded finally, especially the lag submissions that first were sent to CCS where the submitter lost even more money.

CGC/CCS (other pressers), eBay, other auction houses, shipping carriers all keep  drinking dumb submitters milkshakes!

They drink it up!

image.thumb.png.9c16facbbda4b3df5c3610040368afb3.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, cd4ever said:

I personally disagree with all this 'those people should not be sending those books' nonsense. Anyone can send anything they want and don't need approval or need to justify it to anyone,  It's their money.   

You are right. However, it comes to a certain point where the volume submitted just cannot be processed in a decent amount of time. I think we all can agree that 6-8 months turnaround is way too long. So, I think CGC will end up following what the sports card grading companies did. They basically eliminated the bottom tiers to lower the amount of submissions but kept the price high enough where they still were making around the same amount of revenue. PSA does not have a tier below $50. That would price out people from sending in books that command less than $80-90 because the profit is just not there. I am not saying this is a good idea but I think this is where things might be heading. For people making a living off of submitting newer lower priced books should try to come up with alternative streams of income in case something like this happens.

Untitled.thumb.png.037da5442da1a665f8765aeb846e39ab.png

the fact that they're still opening packages delivered the week of jan 3....wow..they must've gotten a mount everest sized pile of books (or they're just super understaffed rn)

On 1/21/2022 at 7:45 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

I am not saying this is a good idea but I think this is where things might be heading.

Total agree that this is where it is going.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just get rid of the Fast Track concept and just up the charges for Modern and Economy by $15 each, so $39 and $50, respectively.  This will get rid of the majority of the low margin submissions that are clogging up the system and make anyone submitting books for profit to think twice about submitting a book that will not easily sell for $80+.  As to whether or not this is a good idea, I think it depends on the point of view.  For the collector/dealer, it will increase costs to get books graded, but should also reduce the time to get books graded.  So not all bad.  For CGC, I would expect that they will still have a continuous supply of books to grade, now with a minimum cost of $39.  I think their backlog would decrease drastically thereby reducing both their warehouse needs and insurance costs.  In the event that they see submissions slowing, they can always send out coupons to members to entice them to submit books at a discounted price.

On 1/21/2022 at 6:15 PM, Petroman said:

Total agree that this is where it is going.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just get rid of the Fast Track concept and just up the charges for Modern and Economy by $15 each, so $39 and $50, respectively.  This will get rid of the majority of the low margin submissions that are clogging up the system and make anyone submitting books for profit to think twice about submitting a book that will not easily sell for $80+.  As to whether or not this is a good idea, I think it depends on the point of view.  For the collector/dealer, it will increase costs to get books graded, but should also reduce the time to get books graded.  So not all bad.  For CGC, I would expect that they will still have a continuous supply of books to grade, now with a minimum cost of $39.  I think their backlog would decrease drastically thereby reducing both their warehouse needs and insurance costs.  In the event that they see submissions slowing, they can always send out coupons to members to entice them to submit books at a discounted price.

Definitely agree. Unless CGC was willing to double their workforce they just cannot support the number of submissions. So the only thing I think is left is to limit the submissions. The price increases only made things worse. Somehow they need to get the TAT to 3-4 months. 6-8 months just makes people angry.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:45 PM, Wheresmymarvelvaluestamp said:

You are right. However, it comes to a certain point where the volume submitted just cannot be processed in a decent amount of time. I think we all can agree that 6-8 months turnaround is way too long. So, I think CGC will end up following what the sports card grading companies did. They basically eliminated the bottom tiers to lower the amount of submissions but kept the price high enough where they still were making around the same amount of revenue. PSA does not have a tier below $50. That would price out people from sending in books that command less than $80-90 because the profit is just not there. I am not saying this is a good idea but I think this is where things might be heading. For people making a living off of submitting newer lower priced books should try to come up with alternative streams of income in case something like this happens.

Untitled.thumb.png.037da5442da1a665f8765aeb846e39ab.png

Never say never but the big difference though between CGC and PSA is for every 1 comic CGC gets PSA gets 1000 cards.  Could this happen?  Sure.  Will it? Prob not.

Every Wednesday new comic book comes out, but most dont get graded.  Speculation is way more rampant in the sports card market aka day trading.  Every season new Rookies to speculate on come out.

Until CGC moderns become 1 year TaT dont expect them to do much besides the now obvious Jan CGC fee increase.

Sports cards collectors look at CGC and think we are spoiled with out current TaT's believe it or not.

CGC has like 20 graders, PSA has over 100.  See the volume!  

Until CGC in Sarasota shuts down a PO for a day like PSA did we are prob ok lol 

The hype is over, as covid comes to a manageable end, expect people to stop submitting as much mixed w/losing money on books bought at the height of the comic market on the copper/modern drek.  

This past increase will slow CGC submissions a little.  Only so many Spawn #1 CGC's 6.5 pressed by CCS a submitter can endure before their bank account says no more.

Plus Blackstone didnt buy the company to shut it down after warehouse expansion thats for damn sure.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, dikran1 said:

Announcing a price hike right after the « ALL CLEAR » announcement didn’t help matters… And now they’re swamped again with a 3 week backlog just opening boxes 🙄

Really wish they would not pre-announce price increases.  Just do it.  Why would they want to lock in (yet another) avalanche of lower priced submissions.  Sheesh, they seemed to punish people who tried to beat the price increase last year as their submission grading times lagged way behind those of books submitted after the price increase.  I'm guessing that this time the backlog will not be nearly so big, but still, why bother to pre-announce?  Just do it.  To date I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the acquisition by Blackrock.  I would have expected those Wall St. types to have optimized the CGC business far better after 6+ months of ownership.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:48 PM, Petroman said:

Really wish they would not pre-announce price increases.  Just do it.  Why would they want to lock in (yet another) avalanche of lower priced submissions.  Sheesh, they seemed to punish people who tried to beat the price increase last year as their submission grading times lagged way behind those of books submitted after the price increase.  I'm guessing that this time the backlog will not be nearly so big, but still, why bother to pre-announce?  Just do it.  To date I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the acquisition by Blackrock.  I would have expected those Wall St. types to have optimized the CGC business far better after 6+ months of ownership.

Takes min of 1-2 years. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:41 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Never say never but the big difference though between CGC and PSA is for every 1 comic CGC gets PSA gets 1000 cards.  Could this happen?  Sure.  Will it? Prob not.

Every Wednesday new comic book comes out, but most dont get graded.  Speculation is way more rampant in the sports card market aka day trading.  Every season new Rookies to speculate on come out.

Until CGC moderns become 1 year TaT dont expect them to do much besides the now obvious Jan CGC fee increase.

Sports cards collectors look at CGC and think we are spoiled with out current TaT's believe it or not.

Its definitely an interesting comparison between comics and cards.  Agree that the card submission volume would be far higher.  But at the same time the handling is easier, the grading is easier, and the encapsulation is easier.  I'm sure that the amount of labor and time involved is way less to grade a card than a comic as is the amount of space required to store submissions.  I'd love to know the ratio of cards to comics though.  1000 to 1 seems pretty high if the cost per PSA grade is $50 min.  If it really is 1000 to 1, then they must really be raking it in.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, Petroman said:

Its definitely an interesting comparison between comics and cards.  Agree that the card submission volume would be far higher.  But at the same time the handling is easier, the grading is easier, and the encapsulation is easier.  I'm sure that the amount of labor and time involved is way less to grade a card than a comic as is the amount of space required to store submissions.  I'd love to know the ratio of cards to comics though.  1000 to 1 seems pretty high if the cost per PSA grade is $50 min.  If it really is 1000 to 1, then they must really be raking it in.

Easier but much higher volume.  Sports card market is vastly greater than comic books in both volume and collectors.  Cost for their min tier was super cheap before covid.  PSA had millions of cards backlogged March 2021, CGC does not.  

Take Zion Williamson, people flooded PSA with that garbage player, only to get cards back that they all mostly lost money on.  Again sports cards market is a lot of short-term speculation while comics are usually the long game of holding.  Only one first appearance of Deadpool, however LeFraud James has a ton of different Rookie cards.