• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,953 posts in this topic

With the current CCS turnaround times I am surprised that more people aren’t going the third party route. It took some time to find someone I can trust, but I haven’t subbed to CCS in nearly a year and don’t see myself ever going back.

I now get my books back in a respectable timeframe (less than a month) and at a comparable price to CCS. Plus, I have been happier with the grades I have received with my new presser which is a testament to their abilities.

I understand that CGC is the gold standard for grading and I must endure their TATs to get maximum value out of my books, but it does not make financial sense for me to say the same thing about CCS anymore.

Edited by jjfversion1

On 1/25/2022 at 1:16 AM, qlow said:

just comparing my order numbers;

from december 2nd to january 10th, there has been 22,000+ orders created.

:whatthe:

That's interesting to know.  So approximately 550 orders per day.  Assuming maybe 15 books on average per order and you're looking at ~8,000 books per day.  I wonder how many they are actually able to grade in a day.  Would be very interesting to see whether the number of orders per day is increasing or decreasing.  I doubt they would publish it, but I'm sure they are tracking it closely.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, Petroman said:

That's interesting to know.  So approximately 550 orders per day.  Assuming maybe 15 books on average per order and you're looking at ~8,000 books per day.  I wonder how many they are actually able to grade in a day.  Would be very interesting to see whether the number of orders per day is increasing or decreasing.  I doubt they would publish it, but I'm sure they are tracking it closely.

Has CGC ever revealed how many graders they have?

On 1/25/2022 at 8:38 AM, Petroman said:

I would venture to say that at least half the orders created are either not sent or revised after the fact. For example, I'll create an order and then realize I forgot to include a couple of books. A couple of days later I'll go to the comic store and then recreate the same order again.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:51 AM, gregwynn said:

It amazes me that people still use CCS for pressing with their posted turnaround times. Lots of options out there

It's hard to say how many people actually stopped using CCS after end of April (after the price change), since they're still pressing books received in late March / early April. I'm sure that once the large number of submissions received before the price change are completed (which could take over 6 months), we won't know how their business was impacted. I know I stopped using them after the price change.

I'm sure they're still getting business for more expedited service (in-house signings, walkthru's, etc.), and still have enough inventory of lower tier books to keep them busy for a long time.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, Petroman said:

20 graders would have to average a book per 60-75 seconds in an average 8 hour day. 

On 1/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, joeypost said:

20 graders would have to average a book per 60-75 seconds in an average 8 hour day. 

Geez... I would hope they have way more than 20.

And don't three graders look at each book? So in effect, 8,000 books a day would be 24,000 grades per day.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:09 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Geez... I would hope they have way more than 20.

And don't three graders look at each book? So in effect, 8,000 books a day would be 24,000 grades per day.

If they had way more than 20 graders you would be getting your slow track moderns back the same day! lol  

PSA has over 100+ graders and they get so much more cards to grade than comics. 

For every comic CGC gets PSA gets 100 min. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/25/2022 at 8:47 AM, skybolt said:

I would venture to say that at least half the orders created are either not sent or revised after the fact. For example, I'll create an order and then realize I forgot to include a couple of books. A couple of days later I'll go to the comic store and then recreate the same order again.

Can you actually delete an order that you haven't submitted yet? I have an order that I have filled entirely but not put the package together yet. I'm now thinking of changing up the books (remove/add books) in the submission and thought that I might as well create a fresh new submission form. Is there a way to delete an order if I have not sent it in yet? It's just the OCD part of me that'll bug me when I see the old one in the "packing slips" list.

On 1/25/2022 at 12:38 PM, comixry said:

Thanks! I'll just learn to control (ignore) my OCD in the meantime (:.

My OCD is different. I'll usually create a new submission form if the books are not in alphabetical order or I forgot to put collector's edition. Like I noted above, 50% of the submission forms I create do not get submitted.