• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
80 80

26,946 posts in this topic

Tell me if I'm wrong but doesn't CGC pay a hefty bill to their insurance for each day that the book stays in their facility?

They do have to pay a bill, no idea if it's "hefty". CGC enforces faster turnarounds on books based on value to prevent this issue. If there's a "lot" of "cheap" books there, no idea what the formula is for their insurance. Average value perhaps?

Curious...if a book let's say Amazing #15 and it was submitted under regular Economy for $800,000.00, Would CGC pay allot of money for that book sitting in the warehouse? Or would they grade that book as soon as possible?

Based on value, it has to be graded Express, and it would be in/out in about a week.

Based on book value of $800,000, it would need to be submitted under Walk Thru. Express has a max limit of $3000 value per book.

Correct, my bad.

So economy fast track is about a week to two weeks behind right now...

My economy fast tracks graded by day 20. Actually day 18 subtracting the days for shows. But then took almost two weeks to ship out.

9/11 was the ship date, so this is pretty current information.

60 moderns and 50 economy's waiting on my shelf since im not paying fasttrack. Cgc leaving money in my wallet due to horrific TaTs.

Oddly enough I'm the same way... I have a large group I was going to send in for pre-screening but I can't pull myself to do it. Having them just sit somewhere for 4+ months... just can't do it...

(I'd love to see the size of CGC's warehouse :o )

Same here. I purchased two large lots (one is from someone who pulled most issues from the rack, and promptly bagged and boarded them, and they look really nice), and the older lot has many great candidates for a pre-screening group (I'm still going through the second lot). They can just sit until the TATs are more reasonable. I'm not going to complain about it, because they are staying in my personal collection at this point anyway, so there isn't an immense need to have them slabbed period, much less slabbed immediately. When the time is right, I can submit them, if I want.

Time for my obligatory CGC running late post:

CGC East and CGC West facilities :idea:

What would be different about East and West vs. them just hiring more people out East?

That's my question, too. I would need to see the production potential of all of the departments involved. They may have the capacity to run twice as many books through the facility, except one step is slowing them down. Address that one step, problem solved without having to add a second facility. That's overly simplified, but identification of maximum production values and rate limiting steps are the key.

What would be different about East and West vs. them just hiring more people out East?

There are very few candidates for the job in Sarasota. It's been discussed that there really isn't enough incentive in a starting position to relocate to Florida.

Another facility in a more densely populated area may be a good solution.

However, it will never happen. CGC is a small portion of Certified Collectibles Group as it is, and unless CCG needed another facility, I doubt it would even be remotely considered.

That's an interesting comment, since they started right outside Manhattan over the bridge in NJ. Then they moved to Sarasota.

if I submit modern books and economy books in the same submission, I'll get them back after they're all graded, is that right? Or will they ship me a modern shipment and a value shipment separately?

if I submit modern books and economy books in the same submission, I'll get them back after they're all graded, is that right? Or will they ship me a modern shipment and a value shipment separately?

Unless things have changed, you have to list tiers of service on separate invoices.

Anyone know where they are in the process for non-fast tracked modern? Like anyone have a submission date for their comics that they recently got back? I sent some in July 1st before they changed the time frame to 70 days.

6/14 still sitting at "Verified."

Anyone know where they are in the process for non-fast tracked modern? Like anyone have a submission date for their comics that they recently got back? I sent some in July 1st before they changed the time frame to 70 days.

When I called in on Monday about our books she said they're currently grading June, Dice, yours should be scheduled for grading real soon.

Edited by roastedbagel

There are very few candidates for the job in Sarasota. It's been discussed that there really isn't enough incentive in a starting position to relocate to Florida.

Another facility in a more densely populated area may be a good solution.

However, it will never happen. CGC is a small portion of Certified Collectibles Group as it is, and unless CCG needed another facility, I doubt it would even be remotely considered.

That's an interesting comment, since they started right outside Manhattan over the bridge in NJ. Then they moved to Sarasota.

The story I heard was CGCs move to FL was largely driven by Steve B's passion for wrestling alligators.

:jokealert:

i always thought there were more comic collectos than coin and paper money collectors

No there are more coin collectors,but it seems like more comic book collectors because of all the Batman movie,Avengers movie and Walking Dead good news we hear. In fact there are even more baseball card and Magic the Gathering collectors then comic book collectors. The average monthly comic book sells about 30,000 to 40,000 copies a month in the USA,and this is after the new DC 52 and Walking Dead brought in new readers.

I think in 5 years that digital comics will be the majority for sales, as the digital readers keep improving. IMHO