• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book art you just don't like.

423 posts in this topic

I dunno about this...If you had Romita Sr and McFarlane side by side at a show, I think McFarlane would have the bigger lineup.

And if "The SItuation" or "Snooki" were set up next to them the lines for the Jersey Shorians would be 10 times as long.

The great thing and the popular thing only rarely intersect.

True, Chris. As you know, I have a strong appreciation for both artists' work on Spidey, and if they were side by side at a show, I would be in the McFarlane line. Both played a strong role in defining the look and feel of Spidey during their respective runs on the title, and I think both are great in their own regard.

Went to Wizard World Austin on Friday and there were 0 people in Neal Adams line when I went up. Yet 5 or 6 people in line for Humberto Ramos (Went right at open on Friday.)

Neal Adams is always at every show, terribly expensive, and not always super friendly if you're not buying something.

In Dallas this past May, he had a steady line all day, never particularly long, but always at least 3-5 people.

I met him in a cafe the morning before the first day of the show. I watched him trying to juggle his portfolios and other stuff while trying to help himself to some coffee. I noticed that he had walked into the cafe despite several open parking spaces so I assumed he was afoot. I approached and asked if he was walking to the show. He said dryly, "No, I'm flying." I reminded myself he's a yankee and probably considered that to be humor. I offered him and his entourage a ride to the show which was a mile or two away and everything changed. He was suddenly very friendly and appreciative but said that the hotel had a ride arranged for them.

He was very nice to me all day. I worked in DWC's booth which was right next to his, so I got to see him work on a few sketches and we chatted a couple of times through the day.

I don't get out to very many cons, and this was my first time meeting him. He was really nice and talked to me for a while, but he was also sketching for me. I got a sketch of the Joker and Batman on a print of Batman 251 that I really love.

I have always loved Neal Adams art and though of it as a timeless style that has translated very well to modern day, and getting to meet one of my all time legends was great. I really hope to meet John Romita Sr soon, but will probably have to travel to NYCC and pray he goes.

I don't get out to very many cons, and this was my first time meeting him. He was really nice and talked to me for a while, but he was also sketching for me. I got a sketch of the Joker and Batman on a print of Batman 251 that I really love.

I have always loved Neal Adams art and though of it as a timeless style that has translated very well to modern day, and getting to meet one of my all time legends was great. I really hope to meet John Romita Sr soon, but will probably have to travel to NYCC and pray he goes.

My only regret was my limited budget. I would have loved to have gotten something from him. I've got a Fallen Son sketch from him that is amazing, but would prefer either a Batman, Deadman, or GL/GA as those are the characters that I first discovered his art on.

My only regret was my limited budget. I would have loved to have gotten something from him. I've got a Fallen Son sketch from him that is amazing, but would prefer either a Batman, Deadman, or GL/GA as those are the characters that I first discovered his art on.

I know this is an artist you don't like thread but since we're talking about it this is the sketch he did for me. A little busy to have it all on the print but I love it.

001-1.jpg

Went to Wizard World Austin on Friday and there were 0 people in Neal Adams line when I went up. Yet 5 or 6 people in line for Humberto Ramos (Went right at open on Friday.)

Hopefully it was a line-up like the one in the movie 'Airplane'. :wishluck:

I happen to like Mark Bagley's Spider-man.

97111.jpg

I like Bagley as well. It seems to be a 50:50 opinion, though, which is surprising, since I find Bagley's art to be very straightforward. 2c

i love Sam Kieth but i could see people hating it

fc_10937936_0_BruceJohnsSamKieth_BatmanThroughtheLookingGlass.jpg

Is that rabbit farting?

i hope so

Looks like Bruce has been hitting the thigh buster lately

I'm amazed to see how much JRJR is coming up in this thread as he is one of my favorites. I think the big issue with JRJR is who is doing his colors. During his 80s run on ASM with Stern I think he was superb. If you read the credits on those issues he usually had a finisher (238 was even his father I believe). He later run with JMS was also colored by Janson if memory serves me correctly.

When he jumped on Avengers a few years back I couldn't stand his work.

I'll say it because it has to be said:

STEVE DITKO SUCKS.

For years I never liked Ditko. Then I bought a pretty extensive run of his stuff on Spider-Man and read it over a few months. It was my rainy day reading. It drastically changed my thinking. I think he is just an acquired taste now and would rank him in the top 5 to have ever drawn Spider-Man.

97111.jpg

I like Bagley as well. It seems to be a 50:50 opinion, though, which is surprising, since I find Bagley's art to be very straightforward. 2c

Loved both of Bagley's runs on Spider-Man. I think he has a fun style. He fit the 90s so perfectly on ASM. His work on Ultimate Spider-Man was perfect.

I'm amazed to see how much JRJR is coming up in this thread as he is one of my favorites. I think the big issue with JRJR is who is doing his colors.

My dislike for JRJR's art has nothing to do with the colors. It has entirely to do with disregard for proportions, lack of detail, and sloppy line-work. If I never see another piece of his work, I'd be overjoyed. His art now is nowhere close to being on par with his dad's work.

DG

I thought JR Jr. was great on the few issues of Kick-Spoon I read. I had no time for him in the 80s though, and that swimsuit pinup is legendarily lame.

My big problem with him is his faces. They are TERRIBLE now. He didn't use to draw squished faces like he does now. I like his old stuff ok.

I thought JR Jr. was great on the few issues of Kick-Spoon I read. I had no time for him in the 80s though, and that swimsuit pinup is legendarily lame.

What swimsuit pinup? Don't think I've seen it...

tumblr_leys1n6n861qaexxto1_500.jpg

Hasn't this been in this thread like 10 times already? :baiting:

What swimsuit pinup? Don't think I've seen it...

tumblr_leys1n6n861qaexxto1_500.jpg

Hasn't this been in this thread like 10 times already? :baiting:

You obviously think about it a lot. :baiting:

97111.jpg

Loved both of Bagley's runs on Spider-Man. I think he has a fun style. He fit the 90s so perfectly on ASM. His work on Ultimate Spider-Man was perfect.

That looks pretty dang good to me. He should give Tupenny a call