• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis (accidentally) discloses they press comics on their website

139 posts in this topic

Those were probably just internal notes that someone entered in the wrong section of their content mgt tool.

Since CGC legitimized the process of pressing, I would be more surprised that most dealers DON'T take advantage of it.

lol saves me the trouble of doing it myself

I love you, bro.......word.GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't know i often wonder if Metro got hacked with some of the listing you see now and then. I recall seeing one listing claiming the book looked at me funny I was like WTF. Either someone was kidding or someone was messing with metro

Agatha ? hm

The pressing game certainly depresses me and will see me out of this hobby in the near future. When this issue really came to the fore on the discussion boards (disclosure vs. non-disclosure, restoration or not, CGC approval or not), I did not buy a CGC book for 18 months. I have bought a few over the last six months but am now in a negative phase again - every time I see this issue discussed, I ask myself "why bother". It is good that some websites are declaring "pressed" from a disclosure point of view but I will not buy a pressed book (if I know). Terms used by boardies such as "steam-rollered" and "pan-caked" may have tainted my judgement.

And then there is the issue of grading standards. I trust the OLD CGC labels and standards far more than the NEWER ones. Grades getting higher, pages getting whiter, writing "disappearing".

In a nutshell, I no longer know what I am buying with a "NEWER" CGC Slab. And if I do not know what I am buying, I will stop buying.

Alan (UK)

I'm not surprised in the least. It seems it would be accidental in that no other comics are listed on their site that i've seen that disclose a press to CFP.

I believe almost every major dealer who deals with slabs and subs to CGC is pressing. CGC helped build a whole side industry based on their stance of not caring about pressed comics.

I don't mind the pressing. I just want my books to look as clean as possible. Light resto is okay with me on expensive books. Otherwise it would be great if they told us which ones they press so I don't waste money doing it. But business is business I don't think it matters enough.

The pressing game certainly depresses me and will see me out of this hobby in the near future. When this issue really came to the fore on the discussion boards (disclosure vs. non-disclosure, restoration or not, CGC approval or not), I did not buy a CGC book for 18 months. I have bought a few over the last six months but am now in a negative phase again - every time I see this issue discussed, I ask myself "why bother". It is good that some websites are declaring "pressed" from a disclosure point of view but I will not buy a pressed book (if I know). Terms used by boardies such as "steam-rollered" and "pan-caked" may have tainted my judgement.

And then there is the issue of grading standards. I trust the OLD CGC labels and standards far more than the NEWER ones. Grades getting higher, pages getting whiter, writing "disappearing".

In a nutshell, I no longer know what I am buying with a "NEWER" CGC Slab. And if I do not know what I am buying, I will stop buying.

Alan (UK)

+1, except - I don't trust first issue labels.