• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
8 8

256 posts in this topic

First time submitter for signed comic books, one each to Terry Austin and George Perez.

Both had due dates near the end of January, but when are the actual signings? 

Curious about actual signings so I can estimate the turnaround time.

Thx!

On 1/30/2022 at 5:39 AM, JBK said:

First time submitter for signed comic books, one each to Terry Austin and George Perez.

Thx!

in most cases CGC does not pre-announce the actual dates of the signings in advance 

they could be weeks to months from when the deadline is to get your books to CGC

your best bet is to check their social media feeds (primarily FB, sometimes Twitter) to see if they make mention of the talent about to do their signing in a given week .... it is a shame those posts don't get done here other then by board members that bring that info here but I have beat that dead horse to death

anyway, I would expect that the Perez signing would be one they would want to accomplish in a pretty timely manner given the circumstances

On 1/31/2022 at 11:04 AM, StillOnly25Cents said:
On 1/30/2022 at 3:39 AM, JBK said:

Thx!

in most cases CGC does not pre-announce the actual dates of the signings in advance 

they could be weeks to months from when the deadline is to get your books to CGC

your best bet is to check their social media feeds (primarily FB, sometimes Twitter) to see if they make mention of the talent about to do their signing in a given week .... it is a shame those posts don't get done here other then by board members that bring that info here but I have beat that dead horse to death

anyway, I would expect that the Perez signing would be one they would want to accomplish in a pretty timely manner given the circumstances

all good advice.  But honestly, just forget you sent the books, and when they show up to your house 4-6 months later treat it like your past self bought you a lovely gift.  It will be easier, less stressful, and more fun that way.

With the upcoming signing by Chris Claremont, I am considering submitting one of my x-men 101’s for signature/remarque.  I have never submitted books for private signing and would greatly appreciate your thoughts regarding the ROI.  $70 for signature and $100 with remarque.  What would you advise?  Keep it as is, add signature or get the signature with remarque?

Thank you for your imput.

C4356A1A-5967-4120-B7C3-2FD96EC9DA26.jpeg

On 2/2/2022 at 7:39 AM, Danno561 said:

With the upcoming signing by Chris Claremont, I am considering submitting one of my x-men 101’s for signature/remarque.  I have never submitted books for private signing and would greatly appreciate your thoughts regarding the ROI.  $70 for signature and $100 with remarque.  What would you advise?  Keep it as is, add signature or get the signature with remarque?

Thank you for your imput.

C4356A1A-5967-4120-B7C3-2FD96EC9DA26.jpeg

I’d say the Remarque doesn’t carry much value unless you want it for you, he’s not an artist. 

id also say to take a careful look at your book and notes, and if you think there’s ANY chance of grade lowering, don’t submit at all

On 2/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, revat said:

I’d say the Remarque doesn’t carry much value unless you want it for you, he’s not an artist. 

id also say to take a careful look at your book and notes, and if you think there’s ANY chance of grade lowering, don’t submit at all

Thanks.  That makes sense on both accounts.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:17 PM, revat said:

EDF0872C-386D-453B-8DFC-662406955E3E.jpeg

I'm sure this is answered... probably several places but I am not finding it. There's a lot of "no this is not sufficient to prove up a signature..." but what is? Strictly and only CGC witnessed? I'm quite certain this can't be true b/c I also have a Stan Lee signed copy of something I had signed over 20 years ago at an event... 

I'm showing up to a signing and was going to crack open a blue slabbed copy for the signature. If I resubmit this to CGC to be re-slabbed with the signature... what do I need to send along for provenance? There is a lot of "not this" on the front page, so... then what suffices? I don't really care about yellow / blue labels but I certainly would like some notation that the signature is legit. 

Edited by Snowlock

On 5/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, Snowlock said:

I'm sure this is answered... probably several places but I am not finding it. There's a lot of "no this is not sufficient to prove up a signature..." but what is? Strictly and only CGC witnessed? I'm quite certain this can't be true

This is true for the yellow label. Strictly and only CGC witnessed or submitted by the artist using an artist submission form.  When you submit a book signed 20 years ago CGC is not stating weather the signature is real or not, just that it does not qualify for the yellow label. CGC will not note a signature is legit they did not witness.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, What'sTheNumberFor911? said:

I'm showing up to a signing and was going to crack open a blue slabbed copy for the signature. If I resubmit this to CGC to be re-slabbed with the signature... what do I need to send along for provenance?

Nothing can help you. CGC or an Authorized Witness must see the actual signing happen. That's the only way to get a Yellow. COAs are not accepted.

There's a lot of "no this is not sufficient to prove up a signature..." but what is? Strictly and only CGC witnessed? I'm quite certain this can't be true

It is true (thumbsu

on the upside, you don't have to jump through hoops to prove any provenance or worry about whether some allegedly 'all-knowing judge' at CGC will or won't judge in your favor.  And on another upside, in the event that you disagree with the way the CGC SS program is run, there are any number of other companies of varying quality that might provide the services you are interested in.

On 5/5/2022 at 5:58 PM, revat said:

on the upside, you don't have to jump through hoops to prove any provenance or worry about whether some allegedly 'all-knowing judge' at CGC will or won't judge in your favor.  And on another upside, in the event that you disagree with the way the CGC SS program is run, there are any number of other companies of varying quality that might provide the services you are interested in.

I'm not really looking for any specific services regarding the signature. It was more a question regarding "how do I prove its legit"... the answer apparently is CGC doesn't care, unless its through their signature service... which I sorta understand. I was more concerned that if I resubmitted the book for grading once I cracked it open for the sig, that there might be a notation regarding the signature (positive or negative) which apparently there is not. So I just send it back and get a blue label back in return, which I am fine with. I just have never done it so I was uncertain of the process. I didn't want to somehow get a signature and then end up getting something negative listed from CGC. 

On 5/6/2022 at 2:24 AM, Snowlock said:

I'm not really looking for any specific services regarding the signature. It was more a question regarding "how do I prove its legit"... the answer apparently is CGC doesn't care, unless its through their signature service... which I sorta understand. I was more concerned that if I resubmitted the book for grading once I cracked it open for the sig, that there might be a notation regarding the signature (positive or negative) which apparently there is not. So I just send it back and get a blue label back in return, which I am fine with. I just have never done it so I was uncertain of the process. I didn't want to somehow get a signature and then end up getting something negative listed from CGC. 

If you want to validate the signature, there are “credible” companies (PSA, Beckett, etc.,) that specialize in this area.  If not, Blue label seems to be the best path. I understand your frustration but also understand the position of CGC.

Sending several into the upcoming McFarlane signing with CGC in November.  Some will be raw some slabbed.  I know I have to make window bags for the raw books, but what do I do with the slabbed?  Should I put a sticky note on the slab saying sign here in this color?  Speaking of colors, what colors are usually available at signings?  Thanks!

Apologies in advance if there is a thread that addressed this question, but after several searches, I may be missing it.

I am going to attend the upcoming Baltimore comic con and have several comics that I would like to get signed.  Looking at my comics, I am hoping to get the signatures in colors that will stand out (I have seen alot of signatures in black Sharpie that can barely be seen).  Should I come armed with a wide variety of colored Sharpies, or do most signers have a variety of colors with them?

Thanks for your help.

In this video on IG Todd talks about a ‘one of a kind’ book he is signing.  He also mentions the submitter’s name.

I was under the impression that once CGC receives books that they were barcoded and the submitters identity was then unknown throughout the process. I reviewed the CGC grading procedures and it’s clear for ‘grading’ but not for signings.

I asked this question on IG and CGC has not replied to it (I did have some other ‘unhelpful’ people chime in though).

I think it’s a legitimate question that I would like clarity on… during in-house private signings do the signers get to know whose books they are signing?

I think CGC’s silence on IG about this is telling, and I personally think they should NOT know. It’s not like at an in-person signing where you can smooze to get a better sketch/signature. It’s the ‘world’s most trusted third party grader’ taking possession of your books to have them worked on and I think the impartiality goes out the window if it is known who the books belong to when they are signed.  If I’m some cool dude/seller that the signer knows I get an awesome sketch, but if I’m just some average Joe I get the minimum effort.  Even the perception that this is possible is not right.  Again, it’s CGC getting the books signed on our behalf, not us at a show chatting up anyone.

@CGC Mike

B6482C37-E6BF-4145-B4D7-53C7B073AE4A.thumb.jpeg.a15416cfba2616b9a6f0404be39168e2.jpeg