• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
9 9

254 posts in this topic

Anyone know if I need to register in advance at NYCC for Larry Hama, Frank Miller, Mark Texiera?  Do they have item limits?  

I emailed NYCC to ask.  Just wondered if any of the pros around here knew.

Thanks!

Edited by lordisam

Hi guys,

Total noob here.  I am just getting started in collecting.  I bought a signed convention variant book off ebay (not graded).  I've seen the same signed variant graded in the Signature Series case so I was thinking I could just submit it and pay my fee and get mine graded with the SS too.  But going through this thread it looks like as soon as it left the convention it was no longer eligible for the SS grade.  Is that right? 
I think you answered this already but I'm not 100%, I don't understand a lot of the lingo (DF, COA, Raw).  

Is there any way I can get this graded with the Signature Series or did I just buy a signed reader? lol

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

On 4/14/2019 at 4:43 PM, JerkFacePaul said:

Hi guys,

Total noob here.  I am just getting started in collecting.  I bought a signed convention variant book off ebay (not graded).  I've seen the same signed variant graded in the Signature Series case so I was thinking I could just submit it and pay my fee and get mine graded with the SS too.  But going through this thread it looks like as soon as it left the convention it was no longer eligible for the SS grade.  Is that right? 
I think you answered this already but I'm not 100%, I don't understand a lot of the lingo (DF, COA, Raw).  

Is there any way I can get this graded with the Signature Series or did I just buy a signed reader? lol

Thanks!

Correct. If CGC doesn't witness the signing, then it is not eligible for Signature Series. Check out the FAQ here https://www.cgccomics.com/signature-series/

"DF" - Dynamic Forces, a company that sells signed comic books, but since they're not witnessed, are not eligible for Signature Series. "COA" - Certificate of Authenticity. "Raw" - meaning any comic book that has not been slabbed. 

Hope this helps!

On 4/14/2019 at 4:43 PM, JerkFacePaul said:

But going through this thread it looks like as soon as it left the convention it was no longer eligible for the SS grade.  Is that right?

More like, as soon as it leaves the creators table, it is no longer eligible for SS.  For example, if you buy a book at a creator table and then go "you know what, I want this CGC graded" and walk it over to the CGC table, they'll tell you "sorry, it's ineligible for a yellow label because we didn't witness it."  But if you get CGC first to walk over with you and then buy the book from the creator, then it will qualify for a yellow label.  CGC has to witness either the signing or the creator handing the book to you.

I love SS books. I have about 100. All of my books are listed in the CGC Registry. There is a small symbol in column #5 of the Registry which presents when a book has one or more photograph/s, and a second symbol when a book has notes.

Q. Is it possible that CGC could add a third symbol in column #5 (or elsewhere) to denote a Signature Series book?

Hi guys I’m back into the comic collecting been out for about 20 years but just pulled my oldies and getting back into the scene of things I appreciate any help and thank you ahead of time...

I have the spawn 299 sdcc 2019 signed by Todd McFarlane and there was no CGC available at his both. If I turn it in to be slabbed and its a 9.8 will it be a lower grade because of the signature? Or is there something I can do to not have the signature counted against it?

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:56 PM, Frankieg2010 said:

Hi guys I’m back into the comic collecting been out for about 20 years but just pulled my oldies and getting back into the scene of things I appreciate any help and thank you ahead of time...

I have the spawn 299 sdcc 2019 signed by Todd McFarlane and there was no CGC available at his both. If I turn it in to be slabbed and its a 9.8 will it be a lower grade because of the signature? Or is there something I can do to not have the signature counted against it?

you can have it graded green label 'qualified', and they will ignore the signature and grade the book as if the signature does not exist.  Consider contact CGC directly for more info about filling out the forms the right way to get the outcome you're looking for.

6 hours ago, NYPHINIX said:

First time sending in a book to be graded, the submission form where it states "PEDIGREE/VARIANT", what does it pertain to?

Pedigree collections: https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/  If you don't know what it is, chances are it doesn't apply to you. 

Variants - different versions of the particular comic book you're sending in. https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/49676-what-is-cgcs-definition-of-variant/  Again, if you don't know what it is, then it probably won't apply to you. And even if it does and you leave this field blank, chances are good that CGC will catch it and will apply the variant to the label. 

Hope this helps!

On 1/18/2020 at 8:48 AM, Malcolm gillas said:

having my comics signed by the artist I asked him could he send them cgc after he said there was a form he would have to sign and send back to have them signature series. any help.

I think you should contact Cgc with the specifics of your situation 

On 1/18/2020 at 11:48 AM, Malcolm gillas said:

having my comics signed by the artist I asked him could he send them cgc after he said there was a form he would have to sign and send back to have them signature series. any help.

I had Ron Frenz do an original art piece on a blank variant cover, and he also signed it - then he told me he sends it directly to CGC on my behalf and it will get the SS designation. The artists apparently have a special form that CGC gives them, and CGC knows when it comes directly from the artist. I pay for all shipping and CGC fees of course. Hope that helps, but speak with the artist or middle man you are dealing with to be sure.  

Hey gang,

I'm hoping somebody will see this - if just for the shear amount of threads and messages in this CGC forum. But, I'm interested in sending in a book for the CGC private signing. Is it possible to have 2 artists sign the same book? When going thru the submission process I can only choose one artist. As an example, I'd love to have Frank Miller and Chris Claremont sign the same book. Thanks in advance

Another entry:

"If a signature event is announced, and one of the books I want to get signed is already at CGC waiting for Grading, can I have them intercept and put into the signature "queue"?

NO  (Book is already at CGC waiting to be graded, Starlin announcement.  Can they redirect my Marvel Special Edition 15 for the signature event?  No, so hope to get it back in time, THEN spend more for shipping, THEN pay the cracking fee.   Disappointing, not unexpected.)

i am interested in sending multiple books in for the in house private signing event at the end of October.  There will be five different books, each one for a different creator.  Do I have to invoice and ship each one separately?  Or can I ship it under one invoice?  Since this is being advertised as a single event, I wasn't sure.  Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Ferretboy

On 4/16/2020 at 1:48 PM, fishbone said:

I had Ron Frenz do an original art piece on a blank variant cover, and he also signed it - then he told me he sends it directly to CGC on my behalf and it will get the SS designation. The artists apparently have a special form that CGC gives them, and CGC knows when it comes directly from the artist. I pay for all shipping and CGC fees of course. Hope that helps, but speak with the artist or middle man you are dealing with to be sure.  

Can I ask, was this at a con? I'd really love to get an official sign from him!

On 9/16/2020 at 7:40 PM, Ferretboy said:

i am interested in sending multiple books in for the in house private signing event at the end of October.  There will be five different books, each one for a different creator.  Do I have to invoice and ship each one separately?  Or can I ship it under one invoice?  Since this is being advertised as a single event, I wasn't sure.  Any help would be appreciated.

I went ahead and contacted customer service and received the following reply

You will need to complete a separate online order for each artist.  The online form will not allow you to combine artists onto one form.  You can, however, mail them in together, if you wish.  You just want to put all the artists initials on the outside of the box or write multiple private signings on the outside.

And thanks to Anthony89 was also able to find out that the return shipping can be combined by making a note on the shipping invoices to "combine shipping"

I figured that I would post this in case there were any other noobs like myself that had the same question.  

Best wishes