• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Series Noob Thread READ HERE BEFORE STARTING THREAD
9 9

254 posts in this topic

Hi there.

Is it possible to submit a SS and get it pressed by CGC?

Yes. This is normal. Here is the CCS website for more pressing info.

Just make sure you have a regular CGC SS form with your pressing form when submitting at a show.

www.ccspaper.com

Thanks.

Question:

I'm going to submit a book for SS. There's a nice blank area on the cover for the signature, but it's very dark, almost black. So I'm going to have to provide either a silver or gold pen.

Any recommendations on the best kind of pen to use for this? Brand, points size, etc.?

Hello, I am new to the con/grading and just had a few questions.

A lot of you were saying that in order to get a yellow tab, someone would have to follow you from the table of the sig. So, I plan on seeing Perez soon, if I want to get the yellow tab, can I just get it signed then go to the grading table or do I have to get someone to be there already?

Second question, if I was planning on going to Arizona Con but, it looks like CGC doesn't have that up as an event that they will attend. So, if they won't be there any signatures I get there wouldn't be able to get the yellow tab, correct?

Hello, I am new to the con/grading and just had a few questions.

A lot of you were saying that in order to get a yellow tab, someone would have to follow you from the table of the sig. So, I plan on seeing Perez soon, if I want to get the yellow tab, can I just get it signed then go to the grading table or do I have to get someone to be there already?

Second question, if I was planning on going to Arizona Con but, it looks like CGC doesn't have that up as an event that they will attend. So, if they won't be there any signatures I get there wouldn't be able to get the yellow tab, correct?

An approved CGC witness or facilitator HAS TO ACTUALLY WITNESS THE SIGNATURE OCCUR, if you want the yellow label. So if that means you gotta get a witness to come to the table with you, or you get the artist to follow you to the CGC table, or you trap both of them in the bathroom, the CGC witness has to actually see the signature occur.

There's a thread on here (easily found) that says which facilitator/CGC witnesses will be at which cons.

Sorry for the dumb two more questions. Just to be clear that even though if CGC is onsite I would still need someone to follow me in order to get the yellow label.

And now if I do have comics signed already, Im going to say I couldn't get the yellow label on them? But, is there anyway to still get them graded?

A cgc authorized witness must see the sig occur in person if you want yellow label. However you make that happen is up to you. You should arrange that with your witness.

If you have already signed raw books, you can submit them to cgc as any other book. The unwitnessed sig can be treated as a defect if you want a blue label, or ignored if you want a green label. Your choice.

Sorry for the dumb two more questions. Just to be clear that even though if CGC is onsite I would still need someone to follow me in order to get the yellow label.

If CGC is onsite you should go to their booth first. Let them know what you want signed and they will send someone with you to witness the signing. For the Phoenix Comic Con message one of the facilitators going to the show and they will help you.

And now if I do have comics signed already, Im going to say I couldn't get the yellow label on them? But, is there anyway to still get them graded?

A comic already signed can be graded but it would get a green label. You can request a blue label but CGC will down grade the comic because of the signature.

How do I go about getting a green label for them? Would that be on the CGC website when submitting comics?

Yes it would be. Just submit your comics. If you want a green label CGC will do it. You have to nothing special. If you want a blue label you must tell them.

Also, would I contact Phoenix con for the facilitators going or is there somewhere specific? If someone can provide a link that would be great.

Thank you for all the help.

Other facilitators may pop up in the future but right now all I see is Hank Pym.

PM Hank Pym

Hello,

I had another question. I am going to go through a facilitator. I just wanted to know what kind of information I would have to bring to the convention for the facilitator. I will be having a witness for SS but, I am not a paying member of CGC but, I don't know if this will make a difference. Any help will be gladly appreciated.

Hello,

I had another question. I am going to go through a facilitator. I just wanted to know what kind of information I would have to bring to the convention for the facilitator. I will be having a witness for SS but, I am not a paying member of CGC but, I don't know if this will make a difference. Any help will be gladly appreciated.

Just bring your books for signing. I'll have paperwork, or any other facilitator that might be present should also. You can submit under the facilitator's account if you don't have one.

I don't blame you for being a little nervous about it since it's your first time. Find your facilitator or witness before you do anything with signatures. Any one of us will help you through the process and to get it done correctly.

Hi guys!

Clearly I'm new here but I've gotten a few SS witnessed books at some conventions I've attended so I'm pretty comfortable with that but I'm doing a mail-away commission on a sketch cover for the first time and I was wondering if/how it would be possible to get this book graded under a SS label.

I've read through the thread and the following exchange kind of touched on my question but also spawned some of its own.

I'm having an artist on Facebook do a blank cover sketch for me. Can someone please tell me, step by step, how to get a Yellow label? Neither of us has a CGC account. I don't care what it costs I just want to get it done.

The main way is for him to hold onto the comic and when he attends a comic con either hand it off to you in the presence of a CGC representative or to work through one of the many facilitator's. Some artists I have worked with have even attended a Con they weren't on the bill for to drop off the comic themselves for me. Either way it needs to go from the artists to a CGC rep or facilitator.

The only other way is if a facilitator on here represents the artist and a board op is made between the facilitator and CGC. At that point I believe its a minimum of 10 submissions is needed in order to be authorized to send them in to CGC with proper forms that facilitators understand how to acquire and pass to the artist.

Good Luck and wait to see what it is.

This commission will be handled entirely via email correspondence so I think the second paragraph of kaholo's response is more applicable. Kaholo says that I could go through a facilitator that represents the artist. The artist mentioned that there isn't anyone specific that he works with, only that other patrons have provided him the paperwork (which he is willing to fill out) and that he can mail it directly to CGC when he's finished. So I guess my question is how do I find a facilitator that I can work with to submit the book?

My second question arises from Kaholo's statement that the facilitator must arrange a board op with cgc then gather at least 10 submissions to be able to send in the book. This just left me a bit confused. Does this mean that in. Order to be able to submit this book through a facilitator that they have to get authorization from cgc (no question yet) and that the book will have to be submitted with at least 9 other books signed/sketched by the same artist? Or does that mean that the facilitator just has to submit at least 10 books which can include signings/sketches from different artists (including the commission from the artist I'm working with)? Or am I interpreting this incorrectly altogether? Or is there another applicable process for submitting mail-away commissions for a SS label?

Thank you all for your help so far (in this thread) and for your patience!

Hey man,

Easy way to sort this one, who are you trying to get a commission from? Depending on the artist many attend the plethora of Cons within the year and can do a drop off at CGC or a facilitator can pick it up from them at a Con. If not it will be up to the man in charge, Mike Balent to bless it off before accepting a direct submission to CGC. Usually board opps require a 10 submission minimum by the artist but it can be done on a smaller scale. Big thing seek permission first. This is not a hobby that is with acting first and seeking forgiveness later. Forgiveness comes in the form of a Green Labeled uncertified slab. Depending on the artist one of us may be able to help you out with a pickup to make things easy and more fluid of an experience.

Thanks for the response!

The artist in question is Gene Espy. I'll have to ask him which conventions he plans to attend to see if dropping it off could be a possibility. The commission is some time away from being completed so I'm fairly sure I left myself enough time to get all the CGC stuff sorted out.

I'll also contact Mike About it in the coming days. We actually met at SDCC this year. It could've gone better, I suppose. Not that either of us was rude or unreasonable or anything but it was my first time working with CGC at a show as big as San Diego so there was something of a learning curve for me to pull myself over but that quickly passed and things went smoothly for the most part.

Thank you again for your help! I welcome any advice you can provide and I'm sure I'll wind up with more questions in the near future!

Noob 1st post:

Part 1: My experience -

Phoenix CC in June was my very first book-signing, and I got two books signed by Stan Lee.

That was pretty much a cattle-processing experience - give his handler your book, he slides it to Stan, Stan signs it while another handler moves you along and then gives you your book back and then you go stand in line to fill out the paperwork for submitting them for CGC SS. The CGC-submissions were handled by Anastasia's Collectibles.

After it was all said and done, I really hope I had done it the right way for a SS, but it seemed at least to me to be a bit disorganized and very rushed (obviously with a Stan-sized crowd they moved a LOT of people through).

Anyway, it was really cool to see "The Man" in person for the first time, and to get his signatures on a couple of his books.

Part 2: My concerns -

A) Is this typical for a mega-signing like Stan Lee? I've never seen a SS signing before and hope I did it correctly - they did take my book and my forms and my money, so I hope I get back the yellow labels. :)

B) I have several other books I want SS'd with Stan Lee and am hoping to go to Comikaze in October to get the rest of them signed and SS'd there. But I don't know if there'll be CGC SS submissions there or not. There's really not much info on the Comikaze site and no responses by emails.

So... does anyone know if there'll be SS submissions at Comikaze this year?

Thanks,