• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars Episode VII, date announced in theatres July 17, 2015

121 posts in this topic

Since the Lucas 4 billion thread is walking away slowly,might as well post this here.

Lucasfilm confirms: Michael Arndt will write Star Wars: Episode VII

Jamie Frevele at 7:04 pm Fri, Nov 9

In an update to yesterday's post about Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) writing the next installment of the Star Wars saga, Lucasfilm confirmed on StarWars.com that it's official: Arndt is writing the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII, slated for release in 2015. No news yet on a title, but the Oscar-winner has been meeting with George Lucas and new Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy for story conferences. The wheels are in motion, ladies and gentlemen -- new Star Wars movies are totally happening. (via Deadline)

This is what Lucas should have done before doing the prequels. His outlines of his narratives are big, interestingly mythological pieces, but his total lack of concern for the actual writing of dialog or providing the actors clear direction really made the prequels pretty near unwatchable.

I agree. It's hard to believe how awful Natalie Portman is in those movies. She delivers her lines as if she were reading them off cue cards.

If I'm remembering correctly, the expectation after Return of the Jedi was that Lucas would surge ahead with the three prequels and three sequels, outlines of all of which were supposedly already written. Apparently, he was too burned out to do so.

My guess would be basing the new episode on the Timothy Vahn trilogy (really enjoyed reading these). Ford and Fisher would look the part as parents of Jedi Twins (although the twins would have to be older than in the books - lol).

someone already said they weren't doing trilogy of thrawn, unfortunately

If I'm remembering correctly, the expectation after Return of the Jedi was that Lucas would surge ahead with the three prequels and three sequels, outlines of all of which were supposedly already written. Apparently, he was too burned out to do so.
I know he was very involved in the productions but he didn't direct or even provide final screenplays for ESB and ROTJ, so I don't think being burned out is it. I imagine he had other things he wanted to do as a filmmaker, not to bank his entire professional legacy on Star Wars' success.

Since the Lucas 4 billion thread is walking away slowly,might as well post this here.

Lucasfilm confirms: Michael Arndt will write Star Wars: Episode VII

Jamie Frevele at 7:04 pm Fri, Nov 9

In an update to yesterday's post about Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) writing the next installment of the Star Wars saga, Lucasfilm confirmed on StarWars.com that it's official: Arndt is writing the screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII, slated for release in 2015. No news yet on a title, but the Oscar-winner has been meeting with George Lucas and new Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy for story conferences. The wheels are in motion, ladies and gentlemen -- new Star Wars movies are totally happening. (via Deadline)

This is what Lucas should have done before doing the prequels. His outlines of his narratives are big, interestingly mythological pieces, but his total lack of concern for the actual writing of dialog or providing the actors clear direction really made the prequels pretty near unwatchable.

I agree. It's hard to believe how awful Natalie Portman is in those movies. She delivers her lines as if she were reading them off cue cards.

The editor in any film can only work with the material given to him.Sometimes

he cant do much because the director failed to get good coverage of shots.

What i'm getting at is,what could she do and where could she go with a Days-of-our-lives line like "You're breaking my heart."

That's how I remember it, too. The movies would've been better without all of these technical advances since the story would actually have to be good.

I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic. I was really hoping for the Thrawn story, but since that isn't going to happen I'm just going to see what happens and go in seeing it without any expectations. Phantom Menace taught me that lesson hard...

So it's not speculation? They're not doing the Thrawn trilogy? That bites.

I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic. I was really hoping for the Thrawn story, but since that isn't going to happen I'm just going to see what happens and go in seeing it without any expectations. Phantom Menace taught me that lesson hard...

Everything that I have heard/read says basically "no". I think all the EU Star Wars stuff is going to be changed to non-canon and Disney goes forward with their own Star Wars stories.

Everything that I have heard/read says basically "no". I think all the EU Star Wars stuff is going to be changed to non-canon and Disney goes forward with their own Star Wars stories.

As long as they're not as god awful like the Star Wars prequels,then they can write anything they want 2c

I guess I will still see it no matter what, That is what Star Wars fans will do. And will voice their opinion if it is really really bad.

Fixed that.

lol Yep.

Like I said, this is going to be a fun couple years.