• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave & Bold #28: Speculation on future pricing
4 4

2,741 posts in this topic

hm

how in the world is this a blue label?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141661282435

photoshopped?

"Other company's" labeling system. Leave a lot to be desired. :facepalm:

-J.

Not sure if facepalm to my post or to the blue label.

I mean it is blue right? I aint THAT drunk.

yes but they use blue for restored and unrestored

photoshopped?

-J.

Looks like a fantastic copy to me and I hear the seller is open to offers and can be reached right here on the boards!

photoshopped?

-J.

I'm not sure that was such a great idea hm

photoshopped?

-J.

:facepalm: Definitely for that company's unfortunate labeling.

-J.

photoshopped?

-J.

Looks like a fantastic copy to me and I hear the seller is open to offers and can be reached right here on the boards!

Nice book!

(thumbs u

photoshopped?

-J.

This will make the other company a dumping ground for restored books. I think it is deceptive.

This is a case where the other company simply wanted to do something different than CGC. Not very well thought out. Bad decision.

photoshopped?

-J.

This will make the other company a dumping ground for restored books. I think it is deceptive.

This is a case where the other company simply wanted to do something different than CGC. Not very well thought out. Bad decision.

+1

But I think they knew *exactly* what they were doing with that.

-J.

Excellent and well-thought business decision. No law that says restored must get purple. Nothing deceptive if the label says "restored."

Excellent and well-thought business decision. No law that says restored must get purple. Nothing deceptive if the label says "restored."

+1

Clearly a purposeful choice. Given the PLOD mentality, seems like a good way to distinguish themselves.

Just because you disagree with the choice doesn't mean it was a bad decision or not well thought out.

:shrug:

+1

Clearly a purposeful choice. Given the PLOD mentality, seems like a good way to distinguish themselves.

Just because you disagree with the choice doesn't mean it was a bad decision or not well thought out.

The law of unintended consequences: I just look at ALL of their books as if they are restored and zip right by them when I'm browsing online.

And you can be certain I'm not the only one doing that.

-J.

Before CGC started , restored books were not such a horrid thing to many people. This whole PLOD idea was a brilliant marketing plan... previously,some perfectly honest people actually looked for talented people who could restore older books. I'm not saying that the restoration should have been hidden, but the fact that CGC could distinguish these purple label of death books made the books seem so much worse than before.

It's another marketing plan...just like now, CGC has a conserved label. I know I've toyed with the idea of having some of my "conserved" books regraded...haven't done it yet, and probably won't bother, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I can see where a collector of newer books would be very leery of buying restored books, most newer books are common enough that you don't need to have one that's been fixed up when you find a copy...but for me, since some of the books I look for are very scarce, I'm not so upset.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't read, especially when they think they found a bargain...and the purple labels helped those who don't read distinguish between the two. I have however noticed many times on eBay the color settings modified in a way where it's difficult to distinguish the labels anyway. You'd still have to read. I think red would have been a better color choice since it's so different from blue, but it didn't make such a great sounding acronym...after all, how do you pronounce RLOD?;)

When restoration is honestly disclosed, you see plenty of bids on eBay. If people are going to be crooks, they will take them out of the purple labels and not disclose anything, anyway.

There is no perfect answer.

+1

The law of unintended consequences: I just look at ALL of their books as if they are restored and zip right by them when I'm browsing online.

-J.

Nonsense.

+1

-J.

Thank you. That makes them cheaper for the rest of us.

Carry on.

+1

-J.

Carry on.

Yes CBCS books do consistently under perform CGC slabs. You can have them. (thumbs u

-J.

+1

-J.

Carry on.

Yes CBCS books do consistently under perform CGC slabs. You can have them. (thumbs u

-J.

Thanks, J.

All I do is crack them out. And then ...

what I have is a great book at a lesser price.

It's like magic.