• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine Selling / Trading Thread ONLY
17 17

898 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2022 at 7:43 PM, wombat said:

Thanks for posting this! I dabbled in Bronze Horror for a bit a few years back. I liked what I found and liked the group of people who regularly contributed here like @oakman29, @bounty_coder and @wombatto name a few.

Ok, just looking for a little advice here, since I've never tried to sell anything online before (ever).  But I'm needing to reclaim a little bookshelf space, with my recent acquisitions of CREEPY, EERIE and VAMPIRELLA runs, so I was thinking about giving my friends here the first crack at some magazines I should part with.

You see, the same storage box that contained my 7 old CREEPYs and 7 old EERIEs that started it all back in February (henceforward known as "Pandora's Box") also contained a few dozen MAD, CRACKED, and National Lampoon mags, mostly from the early 80s, so Question #1...

Would anyone be interested if I were to create a sales thread for these books?

Like I said, these mags have been in a storage box for about 14 years, and sitting on various bookshelves for 20ish years before that, without boarding or bagging--but without a lot of usage, either--just pressed between other magazines.  As a result, I think most of them present better than a lot of the trash I'm seeing on eeBay for $10-$20 (though they're not "NM" or anything, either).  But before I go scanning them all and taking the time to create a sales thread, I'd like to think that there exists at least a little interest, so I don't come off looking like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  And that's a nice segue into Question #2...

If I create a sales thread, should it go in the "Copper/Modern" forum or the "Mixed Age/Misc" forum?  It seems like the early 80s are kind of a gray area in terms of era (overlapping Bronze and Copper), but I'm not sure that some of the MADs/CRACKEDs might not be from 79 or something, so if they're real strict about it, maybe the Mixed/Misc would be more appropriate?  Or should I just post them in this thread?

Any guidance or opinions, especially those of a helpful and encouraging nature, are welcome.

On 4/4/2022 at 10:31 PM, Axe Elf said:

Ok, just looking for a little advice here, since I've never tried to sell anything online before (ever).  But I'm needing to reclaim a little bookshelf space, with my recent acquisitions of CREEPY, EERIE and VAMPIRELLA runs, so I was thinking about giving my friends here the first crack at some magazines I should part with.

You see, the same storage box that contained my 7 old CREEPYs and 7 old EERIEs that started it all back in February (henceforward known as "Pandora's Box") also contained a few dozen MAD, CRACKED, and National Lampoon mags, mostly from the early 80s, so Question #1...

Would anyone be interested if I were to create a sales thread for these books?

Like I said, these mags have been in a storage box for about 14 years, and sitting on various bookshelves for 20ish years before that, without boarding or bagging--but without a lot of usage, either--just pressed between other magazines.  As a result, I think most of them present better than a lot of the trash I'm seeing on eeBay for $10-$20 (though they're not "NM" or anything, either).  But before I go scanning them all and taking the time to create a sales thread, I'd like to think that there exists at least a little interest, so I don't come off looking like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  And that's a nice segue into Question #2...

If I create a sales thread, should it go in the "Copper/Modern" forum or the "Mixed Age/Misc" forum?  It seems like the early 80s are kind of a gray area in terms of era (overlapping Bronze and Copper), but I'm not sure that some of the MADs/CRACKEDs might not be from 79 or something, so if they're real strict about it, maybe the Mixed/Misc would be more appropriate?  Or should I just post them in this thread?

Any guidance or opinions, especially those of a helpful and encouraging nature, are welcome.

I do think there would be some interest. You might want to try some big bundles just to move them. Any key or higher priced issues?

On 4/5/2022 at 4:25 PM, wombat said:

I do think there would be some interest. You might want to try some big bundles just to move them. Any key or higher priced issues?

I don't really have THAT many to be bundling them; maybe about 10 MADs, 10 CRACKEDs, and 25 National Lampoons total.  There's even a "Classics Illustrated" ("Treasure Island"; Long John Silver's edition) in there too, and 4 random Tattoo magazines--so maybe 50 altogether?  I was just going to ask between $10 and $20 for each of them, depending on condition.  Maybe offer a "Buy 2, Get 1 Half Price" special or something?

I wouldn't know which ones might be keys or more collectible issues (if any), so for people who do, there's a chance of striking gold I guess.  Just looking at eeBay prices, it doesn't look like any are crazy collectibles or anything--though like I said, I think a lot of mine present better than many of the copies I see offered on eeBay for $10-$20.

Thanks for the input!

On 4/17/2022 at 7:14 PM, Joshua33 said:

Just saw this sell on Ebay. Yowser!!!

Screenshot_20220417-171048_eBay.jpg

Was just coming to post that (in the "Throw Out Your Overstreet Guide" thread, but since you posted it here, I'll go with that), as I had been watching it too.

It's not the same seller, but slabbed copies of Vampi #36, #37, and #39 (I think 9.8, 9.8 and 9.6) just sold for like $995, $949, and $800 each recently as well (but I couldn't tell you which was which).

Get 'em while they're hot...

On 4/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, Axe Elf said:

Was just coming to post that (in the "Throw Out Your Overstreet Guide" thread, but since you posted it here, I'll go with that), as I had been watching it too.

It's not the same seller, but slabbed copies of Vampi #36, #37, and #39 (I think 9.8, 9.8 and 9.6) just sold for like $995, $949, and $800 each recently as well (but I couldn't tell you which was which).

Where was that? On EBay?

On 4/17/2022 at 7:27 PM, Gregd said:

Where was that? On EBay?

Yeah, all four.  The three I mentioned were all the same seller, this one was a different seller.

On 4/17/2022 at 5:26 PM, Axe Elf said:

Fortunately, bought all of these in exemplary condition, before they got hot.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, Axe Elf said:

See? I TOLD you we should have posted it in the "Throw Out Your Overstreet Guide" thread!

It was Joshua's fault!

Oops! I didn’t even know which thread I was in- just clicked the notification 😂😂

On 4/17/2022 at 5:26 PM, Axe Elf said:

They are certainly becoming a hot commodity these days. Great books that have eluded the masses for a long time.😍