• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toronto Comicon - November 25th, 2012

22 posts in this topic

I don't know who is going for sure (Fan Expo was my last event working for the company), but the guest list is:

Clay Mann (Gambit artist)

Cary Nord (X-O Manowar)

Mike Del Mundo (Marvel cover artist)

Alvin Lee

My tables for the Comic Book Lounge have been confirmed so I will be setting up.

I was just speaking with Pete from All New Comics, and he confirmed he will also be there.

I'm doing a party at my store the night before:

http://comicbooklounge.com/2012/11/19/industry-night-saturday-november-24th-7-11pm/

It's basically an open house/social mixer and many local creators will be attending. We are licensed so beer and wine are available for sale. We will be debuting a gallery show displaying the original art of Marco Rudy (Swamp Thing, Final Crisis).

Toronto ComiCon

NOV 25/2012

Guest of Honour:

Clay Mann artist of GAMBIT

Also appearing:

Cary Nord artist of XO-MANOWAR

Mike Del Mundo MARVEL cover artist

Alvin Lee artist of BIRDS OF PREY

All are welcome to join us for our last ComiCon of 2012.

Sunday November 25/2012 11:00am – 5:00pm

Admission $8.00

**Please note our new location The Royal York Hotel (Imperial Room) 100 Front W.**

For more information please contact info@hobbystar.com

www.hobbystar.com

Exhibitors

All New Comics

Alternate Reality Project

Chop Shop Goods

Comic Book Lounge

Comicage Entertainment

Conspriacy Comics

Doodles Under the Influence

Dragonstar

Fun Comics

Geek @ <3

Gotham Central Comics

Haganland

Harley Yee

Heavy Mental Designs

Heroes of the World

Iron Puppy Collectibles

Kewl Collectibles

Max the Mutt Animation School

Pendragon Comics

Rachel Wells Art

Sam and Paws

Stephen Burger

Unknown World

Wyldstar

Yaozgraphics Studios

I don't know who is going for sure (Fan Expo was my last event working for the company), but the guest list is:

Clay Mann (Gambit artist)

Cary Nord (X-O Manowar)

Mike Del Mundo (Marvel cover artist)

Alvin Lee

My tables for the Comic Book Lounge have been confirmed so I will be setting up.

I was just speaking with Pete from All New Comics, and he confirmed he will also be there.

I'm doing a party at my store the night before:

http://comicbooklounge.com/2012/11/19/industry-night-saturday-november-24th-7-11pm/

It's basically an open house/social mixer and many local creators will be attending. We are licensed so beer and wine are available for sale. We will be debuting a gallery show displaying the original art of Marco Rudy (Swamp Thing, Final Crisis).

[font:Book Antiqua]Hey Kevin thanks for let us know about this event, sounds like fun.[/font]

(thumbs u

While getting into the hall in the morning was a challenge with some road closures and an awkward loading elevator setup -- getting out last night was ridiculously easy. Show ended at five and I had the car unloaded at the store and was on my way home by 6:15. Plenty of time to catch the majority of the game on tv, not that I cared... but I did have some time to relax before the Walking Dead came on at 9pm.

I can't imagine anyone had any difficulty at all getting home after the show ended. Ty Templeton was saying it reminded him of the old hotel shows of the 80s and 90s. It did have that feel about it, and the room was made up of levels with different dealers around the edges of 3 distinct levels with the creator guests on the stage and a little artists alley area outside of the event.

As a retailer I'm quite happy with the day as sales were brisk between 11am and 3pm although they slowed down considerably after that as the excitement for the Grey Cup began to build outside and people made their way home, but during the first four hours of the event there were a lot of people there and they were hungry for comics.

My neighbours All New Comics and Gotham Central Comics both had good crowds and looked to be doing a lot of business throughout the day. I thought the show had a pretty solid variety of dealers --- everyone seemed to have a niche and only some overlapping of material.

We were concerned that the football events and road closures on Front would have an impact on attendance but it seemed to be the contrary... talking with Aman and Tiz at the end of the day they said the numbers were up over last November's show, so I'd safely say few people were scared off by the fact the game was on down the street, if anything it added as the street party on Front increased your food options at lunch. In many ways it reminded me of the Superbowl Sunday shows they used to put on, except you know, the game was across the street...

If someone was commuting to the show access couldn't have been easier as Union Station links directly to an underground entrance to the Royal York Hotel - you could completely avoid the crowds outside and go right up and into the convention which was just off the main level of the hotel itself.

One other note, I was able to briefly attend a meeting that took place during the show hours with a group that is actively working on compiling the most detailed information possible on Canadian Whites, and based on what I saw and heard discussed this will be a valuable resource to collectors and comics historians..

This show was pitiful ... Harley wasn't there and there was no one there with GA or SA, except for one dealer. I won't mention the name but he's not a well liked seller in my eyes... so if you were looking for older stuff (which I was) you were out of luck.

The lighting was terrible in the room and the whole set up was in a ballroom ?!?! I'm all for hotel shows but at least hold them in a meeting or conference room, not in a room for dinners and dancing. My friend and I were definitely disappointed by the lack of dealers and offerings. Lots of 80's and 90's basement dealers. Not worth an $8.00 admission show, not even worth $5.00. Was basically a flea market get-together.

The past two November shows (2011, 2012) in Toronto have been real bombs.

Too bad to hear about your experience with the show. However, it makes me feel a little better that I did not attend.

I am curious about who the only gold/silver age dealer was that you mentioned, so I can avoid in the future (although I'm pretty sure I know who it is already). PM me if you care to share the info. Thanks!

I would have been upset to pay and not have Harvey there if it was listed that he was supposed to.

Oh well, so I guess my next question is when is the next Toronto show? Hopefully it will be one with a comic focus, has a good amount of Gold/Silver and Bronze, where I can submit books to CGC, and perhaps be located closer to the airport (only because that is closer to the suburbs where I live!)

I was surprised that Harley was not there, seems he cancelled just before for some unknown reason. Yes, there was a lack of Vintage dealers --- Pendragon and perhaps Wes were about all there were with a variety of older books, but I know this event has trouble attracting vintage dealers in general, and with the changes to the community over the last few years a "comic con" tends to attract more dealers with toys and comics-related collectibles.

I had a couple of vintage books, but I was not prepared to adequately showcase them at the event (I need to get a display rack for March 9-10) and the bread and butter of what we sell at these shows are books (tpbs, hardcovers, art books) anyway...

Right now there are no comic shows in other parts of TO, they all take place in and around this part of town - mostly at the convention centre. I did have CGC forms with me if anyone wanted to submit, but I took in more at the store that day than we did at the show.

Next one is the 2-day ComiCON on March 9-10 at the Convention Centre.

Here's the only show report I could find online: http://amandamanuel.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/comicbook-pickups-toronto-comicon-november-25th-2012/

I won't mention the name but he's not a well liked seller in my eyes... so if you were looking for older stuff (which I was) you were out of luck.

You are not worthy to look at the actual comic books themselves, you'll just have to settle for colour xeroxed copies like the rest of the unwashed masses. Darc'y Farrell is Canada's answer to John Verzyl, without the inventory. :roflmao:

Jim

Darcy is a class A dork.

He once told me a few years ago I couldn't look at comics on his wall because I might drop them and couldn't afford them if I'd dropped one. Then proceeded to drop one of his own right in front of me. I just walked away and haven't even looked at a book of his since.