• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subjectivity of Grading and Deciding what to Accept

56 posts in this topic

I just want to finish a CGC run of ASM 1-441..once that is complete I am done with buying..it would probably be going a lot quicker if I would stop buying all these other damned books along the way mad.gif

It also doesn't help that I look for really low prices. frown.gif

Brian

Murph, I'd be willing to wager that if you got a complete CGC set of every ASM book in all the grades you want delivered to you tomorrow, you'd still be buying. Just judging by the fact that you're the #1 poster on ths board, I'm positive that this hobby isn't only about one title to you.

I could've done that too, but I will literally be done with this after I complete the run. I have other things that I need to buy..and I'll be done with my MBA or whatever by then. So it'll be time to move on smile.gif

Brian

Like I wrote in another post, if I ever decide to leave all of this, I'll liquidate everything I have, and use the money to buy certain "blue chip" keys to take with me.

Oh..I guess I'll be leaving with multiple blue chips..didn't realize Cap #1/AF #15 were considered a blue chip..? I was talking about that Detective book with Batman over the castle..that will be my one and only DC!

Brian

Oh I thought they reserved the term for books that had made huge gains over a couple of years..I don't think Cap has done that? Well with the exception of raw vs CGC'd..and AF 15 already sort of made it's jump..

Brian

Blue chip refers to low-risk books that are most likely to continue growing in the long term.

eh well then using that definition I guess I'll be leaving with a couple..probably doesn't matter either way, they'll just be going to my kids so they won't be coming out of the ol' collection for decades..

Brian

If you're going to be leaving comics to your family, make sure they are well informed of the values, and how to sell. You don't want someone pulling a "Mile High swindle" on them. blush.gifmad.giftongue.gif

IMO, I think Avengers #4 is a blue chip, but only in a very high grade(NM9.4+).

If I were to sell it all, I'd try to buy whatever I could of the following books:

Cap Comics #1 in Unrestored FN/VF or higher(if possible)

Af 15 in 9.0 or higher

FF #1 in 9.0 or higher

TOS #39 in 9.2 or higher

FF #5 in NM 9.4 or higher

X Men #1 in 9.2 or higher. Very undervalued, and has room to grow.

Hopefully, I can one day get a couple these without selling all my books.

See this is my problem, some of those books you mentioned are sort of interesting to me..so when I get enticed by covers it slows down my process of completing ASM..if I keep looking I may never finish the damned thing frown.gif

Brian