• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highly Undervalued Special Marvel Edition 15- MOKF#1

62 posts in this topic

I wonder why? Is it due to the cover art or storyline ( before Moench. Gulacy & Day), or a genre series that has far lesser appeal due to the ethnicity of the main character? Even the second issue (SME #16) is easily available in high grade with low pricing comparable to paying for a non-key.

Unlike say, for eg. Killraven which lasted for just a couple of years, MOKF survived until the 80s. So, if a bk like Amazing Adventures #11 (1st Blue Furred Beast) can climb up in value, just my rough unsupported opinion, say in comparing the prices of HG cgc books for both issues, one can only wonder at the discrepancy? Again, just my unsupported thoughts.

Another long-running series that comes to mind would be DC's Warlord, it seems the first appearance of the main character in a try-out title would tend to put the 1st appearance issue from realizing its actual worth.

It's not valued highly because there's a bazillion of them in high grade. There have been multiple warehouse finds of this book.

I really hate to disagree with you on that, but in my opinion, all these leftovers are bcause the book is not so sought after by collectors as say fan favourites like Dracula or Conan 1 or hot issues like hulk 181, X-men 94 etc, that are mostly sold out and hoarded by collectors and investors alike.

Though i could be wrong and you are right, because i am just a buyer, and not in the business..

Edited by ReceiverX

There's actually been boardies here who have themselves found hoards of this book and shared some pics on the boards. The leftovers are from actual warehouse finds. In one respect you're right in that the demand isn't as strong, so when there's a huge lot of them found, they get sucked up quickly. But again, unless it's Hulk 181, it's hard to absorb that many copies in the marketplace. The other issue is a psychological effect in that people perceive they can always get a high grade copy.

This is similar to Thor 132 etc., there have been multiple warehouse finds and thus the price remains low. I don't think MOKF is any less popular than say, TOD, but TOD 1 appears less frequently in grade than SME 15.

However, this was a book that prior to the warehouse finds and the census explosion commanded decent money, but that has decreased greatly over the past few years.

In fact, even the keys you mentioned have decreased in value in "uber high grade" over time as the census has grown. The difference is that their value in 9.2/9.4 has held steady.

I wonder why? Is it due to the cover art or storyline ( before Moench. Gulacy & Day), or a genre series that has far lesser appeal due to the ethnicity of the main character? Even the second issue (SME #16) is easily available in high grade with low pricing comparable to paying for a non-key.

Unlike say, for eg. Killraven which lasted for just a couple of years, MOKF survived until the 80s. So, if a bk like Amazing Adventures #11 (1st Blue Furred Beast) can climb up in value, just my rough unsupported opinion, say in comparing the prices of HG cgc books for both issues, one can only wonder at the discrepancy? Again, just my unsupported thoughts.

Another long-running series that comes to mind would be DC's Warlord, it seems the first appearance of the main character in a try-out title would tend to put the 1st appearance issue from realizing its actual worth.

I really think SME 15 should be compared with something on par, say, Marvel Premiere #15, the 1st appearance of Iron Fist. I think both are plentiful with mediocre demand and they're priced appropriatly.

There was a thread previously for the relative inexpensive 1st appearance of Warlord, and my belief is that while Grell's story and art is fantastic, the Warlord character was simply too isolated from the rest of the DC universe.

Shang-Chi and Iron Fist were more integrated into the Marvel Universe than Warlord to the DC Universe, and I think that speaks to the broader appeal and demand for the Marvel characters.

Then again, this is just my 2c

There was a thread previously for the relative inexpensive 1st appearance of Warlord, and my belief is that while Grell's story and art is fantastic, the Warlord character was simply too isolated from the rest of the DC universe.

Shang-Chi and Iron Fist were more integrated into the Marvel Universe than Warlord to the DC Universe, and I think that speaks to the broader appeal and demand for the Marvel characters.

Sure, but if u look at Conan, Marvel's inspiration to DC's flagship savage fantasy action title, u will know how Conan is even more cut off from the marvel universe, in fact but for 3 widely scattered 'What if' appearances from betw the late 70s to the 90s and some hinted at one panel homage appearance across here and there, though not quite as much as his less popular Atlantean counterpart, who was frequently mentioned and even appeared in Marvel team up,, Conan has absolutely nothing to do with the Marvel Universe. While Warlord was given exposure to the 4th world interactions, and in the 90s even paired with a long-haired look alike Aquaman in the latter's bk.

So it 's more a question of appeal-demand for a particular title as u have said it, based on perceived worth, individually or/and influenced by collective opinion. Just my 2pence

SME 15 is a great book. There are just far more high grade copies than is typical from the time period. I got three 9.6 copies in a trade for less than the Overstreet 9.2 price, because the other party has access to a hoard of them. He has slabbed at least a dozen 9.8s from that hoard, and there are many more hoards like that out there. I don't know why, but it is what it is.

Here is my keeper:

utf-8BSU1HMDE0ODktMjAxMjExMTEtMTU0My5qcGc.jpg

It's not valued highly because there's a bazillion of them in high grade. There have been multiple warehouse finds of this book.

I really hate to disagree with you on that, but in my opinion, all these leftovers are bcause the book is not so sought after by collectors as say fan favourites like Dracula or Conan 1 or hot issues like hulk 181, X-men 94 etc, that are mostly sold out and hoarded by collectors and investors alike.

Though i could be wrong and you are right, because i am just a buyer, and not in the business..

There was at least one board member who had an entire short box full of these in nice shape. They were all between 9.2 and 9.8. He wasn't the only one either. There are a TON of these in high grade and in a higher proportion than most books from this era.

Given that supply, enough to sate demand, it's not undervalued..the demand has just been met.

SME 15 is a great book. There are just far more high grade copies than is typical from the time period. I got three 9.6 copies in a trade for less than the Overstreet 9.2 price, because the other party has access to a hoard of them. He has slabbed at least a dozen 9.8s from that hoard, and there are many more hoards like that out there. I don't know why, but it is what it is.

Here is my keeper:

utf-8BSU1HMDE0ODktMjAxMjExMTEtMTU0My5qcGc.jpg

:applause:

Sure, but if u look at Conan, Marvel's inspiration to DC's flagship savage fantasy action title, u will know how Conan is even more cut off from the marvel universe, in fact but for 3 widely scattered 'What if' appearances from betw the late 70s to the 90s and some hinted at one panel homage appearance across here and there, though not quite as much as his less popular Atlantean counterpart, who was frequently mentioned and even appeared in Marvel team up,, Conan has absolutely nothing to do with the Marvel Universe. While Warlord was given exposure to the 4th world interactions, and in the 90s even paired with a long-haired look alike Aquaman in the latter's bk.

So it 's more a question of appeal-demand for a particular title as u have said it, based on perceived worth, individually or/and influenced by collective opinion. Just my 2pence

You cannot compare Warlord and Conan. How many Warlord movies did they make? Did they make a terrible Warlord TV show? How many Warlord series are currently being published? How many Warlord paperback books are there? How many paintings of Warlord did Frazetta paint? Did Warlord have FOUR titles being published by Marvel at one time (Conan, King Conan, Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga)? Conan was one of Marvels biggest titles for about 15 years, I suspect during most of that stretch (at least until perez's new teen titans) just the regular Conan series outsold every DC book, perhaps DC's top 2 or 3 titles. Conan's collectability had nothing to do with the rest of the Marvel universe.

Be quiet all of you! MSE 15 is a very rare and important book and should go for at least as much as Hulk 181 (he says as he strokes his hoard...).

Yeah, for whatever reason there are a lot of these. Dunno if Bruce Lee/Karate was hot then (it was) and folks got the idea to order a ton of these.

Be quiet all of you! MSE 15 is a very rare and important book and should go for at least as much as Hulk 181 (he says as he strokes his hoard...).

Yeah, for whatever reason there are a lot of these. Dunno if Bruce Lee/Karate was hot then (it was) and folks got the idea to order a ton of these.

:applause:

9.6 copies have some rocking traction right now according to GPA.

Interesting,last sale of a 9.6 was 500,and last sale on a 9.8 is 504?

they may have been found in various hoards, but a 9.8 or even a 9.6 is still hard to get on a 40 year old book that was maybe sitting on some palette with 500 others getting kicked around and what not. koch had a ton of these and i bought a ton from him over the years, but they were all more like 9.0 - 9.4 (tops).

a lot i have seen have overspray..is it hard to get a 9.6 or 9.8 with a touch of overspray?

Dunno if Bruce Lee/Karate was hot then (it was) and folks got the idea to order a ton of these.

T'was Kung Fu, and it was hot enough for at least a smidgen of time, when David Carradine was a star, for Marvel to create a character and comic book based on it. Didn't take that much during the Bronze Age.

Here's the copy I bought off the rack. Not as high end as many.

MOKF15.jpg

You cannot compare Warlord and Conan. How many Warlord movies did they make? Did they make a terrible Warlord TV show? How many Warlord series are currently being published? How many Warlord paperback books are there? How many paintings of Warlord did Frazetta paint? Did Warlord have FOUR titles being published by Marvel at one time (Conan, King Conan, Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga)? Conan was one of Marvels biggest titles for about 15 years, I suspect during most of that stretch (at least until perez's new teen titans) just the regular Conan series outsold every DC book, perhaps DC's top 2 or 3 titles. Conan's collectability had nothing to do with the rest of the Marvel universe.

Why not? Disregarding the movies, paperback covers, on the strength and appeal of the titles alone based on the art and storyline, sure we can, though its a surety that conan wins warord hands down, but this is not to say that on a whole, the quality of conan comics did surpass that of Warlord ( speaking as a big conan comcis fan myself) because there are lots of goodies in Warlord that sometimes make up for what's is lacking in the conan stuff, with Warlord, not only there are S &S elements of REH but plenty of ERB Lost World stuff, so a barbarian movie made of WL would seem more believable and realistic in terms of the feminine sexual glamour of scantily clothed or unclothed women- do you think that women in ancient days would look as good as those from the 20th century onwards, and Mike Grell's art is something else altogether when he did WL. Certainly made my DC! - Superb barbarian apparel, unforgettable lovely ladies in sweet hyborian garb..know wat i mean.

i don't disagree with you on the conan pts other than that WL is DC's answer to Marvel 's Conan in a sort of way, after Scalphunter/Claw and before Arak and Arion came along. Furthermore, i am ot saying that MOKF or Warlord firsts should be commanding as much as hulk 181 or even Conan but just merely stating my personal view that the firsts deserve higher value than what's in the guide. Again, my 2 cts.