• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highly Undervalued Special Marvel Edition 15- MOKF#1

62 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about SME 15 vs Marvel Premiere 15 the other day. I have a waiting list of people who want MP 15 and yet I almost always have copies of SME 15 in stock. (Not talking about high grade copies per se, just looking at the demand side for VG to VF+ or whatever.)

My conclusion was that Iron Fist is just more integrated into the Marvel Universe and has a super power and pals around with Power Man and fights super villains all the time. I think MOKF is a great title and I'd rather read it than Iron Fist any day. (Heck, I'd rather read it than almost any superhero book from that time.)

Shang Chi/MOKF is more of a cult favorite--it may get more critical acclaim, but it just doesn't have the demand among key collectors. And yeah, don't get me started on Warlord.

There was a thread previously for the relative inexpensive 1st appearance of Warlord, and my belief is that while Grell's story and art is fantastic, the Warlord character was simply too isolated from the rest of the DC universe.

Shang-Chi and Iron Fist were more integrated into the Marvel Universe than Warlord to the DC Universe, and I think that speaks to the broader appeal and demand for the Marvel characters.

Then again, this is just my 2c

Sure, but if u look at Conan, Marvel's inspiration to DC's flagship savage fantasy action title, u will know how Conan is even more cut off from the marvel universe, in fact but for 3 widely scattered 'What if' appearances from betw the late 70s to the 90s and some hinted at one panel homage appearance across here and there, though not quite as much as his less popular Atlantean counterpart, who was frequently mentioned and even appeared in Marvel team up,, Conan has absolutely nothing to do with the Marvel Universe. While Warlord was given exposure to the 4th world interactions, and in the 90s even paired with a long-haired look alike Aquaman in the latter's bk.

So it 's more a question of appeal-demand for a particular title as u have said it, based on perceived worth, individually or/and influenced by collective opinion. Just my 2pence

You cannot compare Warlord and Conan. How many Warlord movies did they make? Did they make a terrible Warlord TV show? How many Warlord series are currently being published? How many Warlord paperback books are there? How many paintings of Warlord did Frazetta paint? Did Warlord have FOUR titles being published by Marvel at one time (Conan, King Conan, Savage Sword of Conan and Conan Saga)? Conan was one of Marvels biggest titles for about 15 years, I suspect during most of that stretch (at least until perez's new teen titans) just the regular Conan series outsold every DC book, perhaps DC's top 2 or 3 titles. Conan's collectability had nothing to do with the rest of the Marvel universe.

BAM!

I bought SME 15 off the stands as a kid, and read the first couple years of MoKF back then. It's been 40 years, but I remember them being a more entertaining read than much of the Marvel Universe at the time.

Daredevil 181 and Avengers Annual 10 are wayyyyyyyy undervalued in guide too! They should be on par with ASM 238 or ASM 300 at a minimum!

Forgive me, but i always felt that ASM 300 is way too overrated (nevermind if i really put off byMcFarlane's art and his quirky spiderman) but for its being a 300th issue. Nuff said

I don't think Daredevil 181 is undervalued, as it is extremely common, even in high grade. It came near the end of the extremely popular Miller run. There are just too many copies of that book out there for it to be worth much more than it is, even though content-wise it is about as awesome as it gets.

How many people on this board have more than ten copies of that book? I bet it's quite a few.

Daredevil 181 and Avengers Annual 10 are wayyyyyyyy undervalued in guide too! They should be on par with ASM 238 or ASM 300 at a minimum!

I don't think Daredevil 181 is undervalued, as it is extremely common, even in high grade. It came near the end of the extremely popular Miller run. There are just too many copies of that book out there for it to be worth much more than it is, even though content-wise it is about as awesome as it gets.

How many people on this board have more than ten copies of that book? I bet it's quite a few.

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

I have the opposite view. I think the book is incredibly overvalued considering how common it is in ultra-HG.

I agree,so everyone please lower your prices so I can get a nice 9.8. (thumbs u

Just kill more bugs. :baiting:

I have the opposite view. I think the book is incredibly overvalued considering how common it is in ultra-HG.

lol

Its a no-brainer- because its undervalued that's why there's lots of high grade leftovers to be slabbed. Anyway, don't expect to get any 9.8 graded bk cheap, especially if its a key.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split,..I'm not going out of my way looking for devils; but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”

- Conan (Robert E. Howard)

lol

Rat season is upon us. :whee: All I see are $$ signs with every rat :cloud9:

There was at least one board member who had an entire short box full of these in nice shape. They were all between 9.2 and 9.8. He wasn't the only one either. There are a TON of these in high grade and in a higher proportion than most books from this era.

hm:o:insane:

There was at least one board member who had an entire short box full of these in nice shape. They were all between 9.2 and 9.8. He wasn't the only one either. There are a TON of these in high grade and in a higher proportion than most books from this era.

hm:o:insane:

Say, I thought you retired from the boards?

I picked up a mid-grade complete run of MoKF this year. What a great read!

Although I really liked the Gulacy and Zeck eras, I thought the later Gene Day stuff was incredible. If he hadn't died young, I feel like he could have easily joined Adams and Golden as "Masters of the 80s."

Marvel is trying to bring Shang-Chi back, right? I haven't read any of the new stuff, but I understand that Marvel no longer has the rights to publish Fu Manchu related material.

The series had such a great dynamic with Fu Manchu being his father/nemesis, the fact that Marvel has to discard that element of the story for legal/moral reasons is, while understandable, kind of a shame. That's what really gave it juice!

I wonder if Shang-Chi just isn't as unique these days, what with everybody doing kung-fu?