• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highly Undervalued Special Marvel Edition 15- MOKF#1

62 posts in this topic

I picked up a mid-grade complete run of MoKF this year. What a great read!

Although I really liked the Gulacy and Zeck eras, I thought the later Gene Day stuff was incredible. If he hadn't died young, I feel like he could have easily joined Adams and Golden as "Masters of the 80s."

Marvel is trying to bring Shang-Chi back, right? I haven't read any of the new stuff, but I understand that Marvel no longer has the rights to publish Fu Manchu related material.

The series had such a great dynamic with Fu Manchu being his father/nemesis, the fact that Marvel has to discard that element of the story for legal/moral reasons is, while understandable, kind of a shame. That's what really gave it juice!

I wonder if Shang-Chi just isn't as unique these days, what with everybody doing kung-fu?

This great series deserves omnibus/masterworks treatment, i mean which marvel series from the 70s-80s don't!!

On the late Mr Gene Day, its a pity indeed because his art was getting better and better, and when he was off the book, it got cancelled months after,that, one likely reason must be the risen art standards.set by him was non-sustainable with his passing ( some food for thought-he certainly drew a lot of ornate oriental hindu statues and demoniac idols).

On the uniqueness of SC, well, as all True Marvelites, we do know that MOKF would be the equivalence of what Conan and Dracula would be to their own respective genres, the greatest (barbarian/warrior; vampire and kung fu hero). Afterall, which character in Marvel can singlehandedly take on supervillains barehanded, without superpowers or special weapons/armory.

Now, if ever someone is to make a movie of MOKF, they should use that classic "KF Figghting" theme by Carl Douglas, no, read the new limited series (first few issues are full of the original MOKF excitement and then some), and think of all the cool fighting moves and shades from the last Matrix movie, and you will know what i mean.

Actually, Receiver X, I read an interview with Doug Moench somewhere (most likely Comic Book Artist magazine or Back Issue) where he said that Jim Shooter hated MOKF, and demanded that Shang-Chi be turned into a ninja or the book would get cancelled.

(This was around the time I think Shooter was battling with Marv Wolfman over the Dracula character as well.)

Anyway, Doug refused, pointing out that ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese, and that was that.

Grain of salt -- Doug Moench and Shooter never did get along, so the story could be hot air. I'm sure that low sales numbers and changing tastes in the comic book buying public factored in as well.

I picked up a mid-grade complete run of MoKF this year. What a great read!

Although I really liked the Gulacy and Zeck eras, I thought the later Gene Day stuff was incredible. If he hadn't died young, I feel like he could have easily joined Adams and Golden as "Masters of the 80s."

Marvel is trying to bring Shang-Chi back, right? I haven't read any of the new stuff, but I understand that Marvel no longer has the rights to publish Fu Manchu related material.

The series had such a great dynamic with Fu Manchu being his father/nemesis, the fact that Marvel has to discard that element of the story for legal/moral reasons is, while understandable, kind of a shame. That's what really gave it juice!

I wonder if Shang-Chi just isn't as unique these days, what with everybody doing kung-fu?

This great series deserves omnibus/masterworks treatment, i mean which marvel series from the 70s-80s don't!!

On the late Mr Gene Day, its a pity indeed because his art was getting better and better, and when he was off the book, it got cancelled months after,that, one likely reason must be the risen art standards.set by him was non-sustainable with his passing ( some food for thought-he certainly drew a lot of ornate oriental hindu statues and demoniac idols).

On the uniqueness of SC, well, as all True Marvelites, we do know that MOKF would be the equivalence of what Conan and Dracula would be to their own respective genres, the greatest (barbarian/warrior; vampire and kung fu hero). Afterall, which character in Marvel can singlehandedly take on supervillains barehanded, without superpowers or special weapons/armory.

Now, if ever someone is to make a movie of MOKF, they should use that classic "KF Figghting" theme by Carl Douglas, no, read the new limited series (first few issues are full of the original MOKF excitement and then some), and think of all the cool fighting moves and shades from the last Matrix movie, and you will know what i mean.

I'd say the cancellation had more to do with the demise of the Kung Fu fad, and less with Gene Day's departure.

Actually, Receiver X, I read an interview with Doug Moench somewhere (most likely Comic Book Artist magazine or Back Issue) where he said that Jim Shooter hated MOKF, and demanded that Shang-Chi be turned into a ninja or the book would get cancelled.

(This was around the time I think Shooter was battling with Marv Wolfman over the Dracula character as well.)

Anyway, Doug refused, pointing out that ninjas are Japanese, not Chinese, and that was that.

Grain of salt -- Doug Moench and Shooter never did get along, so the story could be hot air. I'm sure that low sales numbers and changing tastes in the comic book buying public factored in as well.

Thanks for the correcting my wild speculation.

The book lasted 125 issues. The Kung Fu fad ended long before the book did.

Good book,but it needs a movie or tv appearances to jumpstart it again.

The same can said for Warlord. We are talking comic book series that haven`t been a part of monthly comic book mainstream for 25 to 30 plus years!

Yes you are all getting old. :preach:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The same can said for Warlord. We are talking comic book series that haven`t been a part of monthly comic book mainstream for 25 to 30 plus years!

I was thinking the MOKF is kindah like DCs Warlord (although I guess MOKF crossed over into capes and tights books on occasion) -- and not Conan, which was/is a huge franchise -- similar run, I'm guessing they both started pretty popular and lost readers over the years, etc. Warlord went deeper into the 80s I suppose because DC was more willing to allow struggling titles to continue to be published than Marvel.

Has this series been released as an Essential yet?

They can't because of problems with the Fu Manchu licensing.

That could also be the reason why the cover of SME #15 was missing among the key issues' covers showcase galleries of the Marvel 1970s volumes.

Aren't you going to try to tell us there is an as yet unconfirmed "Shekel Copy" of SME 15?

Has this series been released as an Essential yet?

They can't because of problems with the Fu Manchu licensing.

That could also be the reason why the cover of SME #15 was missing among the key issues' covers showcase galleries of the Marvel 1970s volumes.

Aren't you going to try to tell us there is an as yet unconfirmed "Shekel Copy" of SME 15?

No i wasn't. But not far from it, though i should point out that i have seen a pence copy of both SME 15 &16 at a second hand bookstore but they were both in terrible shape- and smudged with brown stains (could be mess). I didn;t want to soil my hands, who knows what harmful bacteria were on them and so decide not to purchase. I already have NM/M cents copies.

I was thinking the MOKF is kindah like DCs Warlord (although I guess MOKF crossed over into capes and tights books on occasion) -- and not Conan, which was/is a huge franchise -- similar run, I'm guessing they both started pretty popular and lost readers over the years, etc. Warlord went deeper into the 80s I suppose because DC was more willing to allow struggling titles to continue to be published than Marvel.

In 1984 , when I was opening up my first store, I had no idea what kind of numbers of new books I would sell each month. The sales reps at Sea Gate were very helpful, telling me which books I should under-order because they ale=ways had backups and which i should order to sell out. DC books had a five copy minimum so I ordered five copies of Warlord. Back then, I had shelf space for three months worth of most books, so when I went to move the three monthg old copies into the BI bins I was surprise dto see I had five copies left. A quick look showed me I had bought 15 copies and had 15 copies left. Also had a copy of his first appearence and Warlord #1 up on the wall taking up very valuable real estate. This book just did not sell.

i know, my childhood LCS always used to stick warlords in the grab bags I was stupid enough to buy. they probably conned me out of $50 for those darn things until I realized I'd be better off just buying the 1 or 2 decent books there would be in there on my own and not hope to win the lottery.

why wasn't i buying boxes of ASM 129 in 1983? punisher was my favorite character and it still didn't occur to me to track down his first apps, it was all about John Byrne and X-Men and some Teen Titans back then.

I was just thinking about SME 15 vs Marvel Premiere 15 the other day. I have a waiting list of people who want MP 15 and yet I almost always have copies of SME 15 in stock. (Not talking about high grade copies per se, just looking at the demand side for VG to VF+ or whatever.)

My conclusion was that Iron Fist is just more integrated into the Marvel Universe and has a super power and pals around with Power Man and fights super villains all the time. I think MOKF is a great title and I'd rather read it than Iron Fist any day. (Heck, I'd rather read it than almost any superhero book from that time.)

Shang Chi/MOKF is more of a cult favorite--it may get more critical acclaim, but it just doesn't have the demand among key collectors. And yeah, don't get me started on Warlord.

You hit the nail on the head. Iron Fist is more involved in the MU and had more important crossover Marvel characters in his books. When I first started collecting in the 90's teensy years ago Shang Chi was no where to be found. He didn't have any trading cards. He is cult character with a niche following and for the most part irrelevant to the Marvel Universe of the past 25 to 30 years.